Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: TSP board to limit interfund transfers

Default Re: TSP board to limit interfund transfers

Quote Originally Posted by James48843 View Post
    Folks- just a little note here.

When the invoked limits, I talked about "costs".

1. Costs to freedom sure. This is classic example. If you pull out now, and you've already moved once or more this month, you are trapping yourself locking in the loss until next month. That is one kind of cost on us they have imposed. So we all must stay in now, on the hopes we recover something before the end of october. We're already the biggest single month decline since the great depression, and there is no end in sight.

2. But the other kind of costs as well. We told them if they imposed limits- the trading costs would go up, not down. they didn't listen to us.
    ANd guess what? The first quarter of data is now in. I'm studying it now.

And costs have soared.
    Through July:

YTD costs for F fund went from 192,000 to 1,552,711
    YTD costs for C fund went from -216,254 to +329,258
    YTD costs for S fund went from -101,308 to + 367,371
    and in July alone, I fund trading costs went from $248,847 to $2,796,494

All of the funds trading costs went up. As basis points, it went up. the dollar volume went down, but the costs soared.

I will be studying the numbers some more, and writing later about this.

You all should be ready to start writing some real angry letters soon.
    Thanks for the update James,

But the board will never admit they made a mistake. Maybe that's why barclays is trying to raise cash and even the UK Central Bank is considering giving them money, though they say they are just fine...hmmmm sounds familiar. So they are definately in a bind and since the Brits and Europeans seem to be lagging somewhat behind us in the whole subprime thing, barclays may be one of those banks to big to fail.

I've written and am still sending out the occasional letters and called NARFE 3 times about this, but until the Mowrons on the Hill take it in the keester, I'm afraid nothing willl happen.

I saw one congressman on Fox or CNBC the other night, sorry didn't get his name, but he was saying that the 401K plans may not be the best device for saving money and is considering submitting a bill to place future retirement funds into some sort of savings account similiar to a banks savings account or to even increase SS payments. WTF?? I couldn't believe it, but apparently a lot of crazy ideas are floating around in DC and we all know they are big on knee jerk reactions.

CB
    Last edited by CountryBoy; 10-10-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    “Most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.” - Huxley’s Brave New World

Hey CG, James,
    Agree with both of you. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Something else to consider: Many of us are "locked out" (in G) for the remainder of the month, due to the "IFT limit Rule." In recent past ( before the IFT limit "Rule was imposed ) many of us I expect would now be starting to dca -buying into stocks, small amount each day - via IFT.
    By such 401k "Rules" they are effectively BLOCKING/PREVENTING potential buyers.
    My point is: maybe changing these rules, all combined, might help turn the crisis? I seem to recall the TSP Board had said that other 401k plans also have similar tight IFT restrictions. IMO, maxing our bi-weekly contributions now is probably good to do (helping us) - but having such tight limits on IFTs, isn't likely helpful to the larger market/crisis.
    VR

Blog Entries

Speaking of Andrew Saul-

You remember the head of the Thrift Board that was also running for Congress, at the same time he was receiving money as a federal employee on the Thrift Board (Can you say Hatch Act)?

That same Andrew M. Saul, who , after we posted here on TSPTALK, the problem with running for Congress (HATCH ACT) and continuing to be on the Thrift Board, decided to WITHDRAW from the race in November 2007?

Well, it turns out he may have made a public statement saying that he was withdrawing from the Congressional Race, but it turns out, that according to the Federal Elections Commission, he didn't actually cease his campaign committee until APRIL of 2008. AFTER MAKING DECISIONS TO LIMIT TSP CONTRIBUTIONS.

While at the same time, continuing to solicit and expend Campaign Contributions.

In fact, his campaign collected some $1.4 MILLION dollars, and continued to spend money well into April 2008.

How about them apples?

Source: http://www.fec.gov then search the campaign filings of Andrew M. Saul.

Donors to Saul:
    http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/com_ind/C00434167/

Quote Originally Posted by hessian View Post
    Something else to consider: Many of us are "locked out" (in G) for the remainder of the month, due to the "IFT limit Rule." By such 401k "Rules" they are effectively BLOCKING/PREVENTING potential buyers. ...but having such tight limits on IFTs, isn't likely helpful to the larger market/crisis.

Sounds "Criminal." Does the SEC monitor this site? Unhealthy Manipulation of the markets?

Is there any litigation yet attempted against these limits?

gc

Quote Originally Posted by James48843 View Post
    Speaking of Andrew Saul-

You remember the head of the Thrift Board that was also running for Congress, at the same time he was receiving money as a federal employee on the Thrift Board (Can you say Hatch Act)?

That same Andrew M. Saul, who , after we posted here on TSPTALK, the problem with running for Congress (HATCH ACT) and continuing to be on the Thrift Board, decided to WITHDRAW from the race in November 2007?

Well, it turns out he may have made a public statement saying that he was withdrawing from the Congressional Race, but it turns out, that according to the Federal Elections Commission, he didn't actually cease his campaign committee until APRIL of 2008. AFTER MAKING DECISIONS TO LIMIT TSP CONTRIBUTIONS.

While at the same time, continuing to solicit and expend Campaign Contributions.

In fact, his campaign collected some $1.4 MILLION dollars, and continued to spend money well into April 2008.

How about them apples?

Source: http://www.fec.gov then search the campaign filings of Andrew M. Saul.

Donors to Saul:
    http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/com_ind/C00434167/
    Get on them again Bulldog (without Lipstick), bite a little deeper but don't let go, how can I help?!!!!!

A couple tremendous resources for Fed. employees:
    1. http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?sid=1496337&nid=295

2. Also, a highly funded, influencial & active lobby group,...

NARFE's mission is to protect and enhance the earned benefits of active and retired federal employees.

Join NARFE before you retire!

NARFE membership is an investment in retirement security for you and your family.

http://www.narfe.org/departments/hq/guest/home.cfm

Registration Now Open for March NARFE Legislative Training Conference
    Please join us in Washington, DC to learn how to advocate on behalf of NARFE’s legislative agenda and develop grassroots skills.READ MORE

Quick question, I seem to remember some of our members making IFTs of less than 1% which made it under the radar even if you had used your two IFTs for the month. Is it a total of all IFTs made for the day(say .9%) or can you make .9% per fund? i.e. .9% to C and .9% to S and I funds also?

Also, could you do it every day without being blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Scout333 View Post
    Quick question, I seem to remember some of our members making IFTs of less than 1% which made it under the radar even if you had used your two IFTs for the month. Is it a total of all IFTs made for the day(say .9%) or can you make .9% per fund? i.e. .9% to C and .9% to S and I funds also?

You will have to round up or down to the nearest even percent when you IFT.

See Squalebear account talk. He's the guru on that strategy.

CB
    “Most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.” - Huxley’s Brave New World

Blog Entries

Note:

Fedsmith today has Tracey Ray's comeback to the fact that trading costs have soared since the limits have been put in. Ray cherry picked the data, and made a case that costs have not gone up.

Of course she cherry picks the data.

http://fedsmith.com

Blog Entries

Fedsmith article:

"Ms. Ray says that the TSP cannot control the actual cost per share to execute a trade. The costs for a trade are different depending on a variety of factors but the largest is market impact. Some days these costs are negative and other days these costs are positive. Some people have apparently interpreted the restrictions as a control on these trading expenses.

In reality, the IFT restrictions only serve to minimize the dollar volume of trading among the TSP funds. Generally, the costs will be lower when the dollar volume of the trades go down. Probably because of the IFT restrictions, the dollar volume of trades in the TSP has gone down from $41 billion through September 2007 to $28 billion through September 2008. Here is a chart displaying the trading volume for the same time period for 2007 and 2008. (We picked the end of September for comparison as this is the latest complete month at the time of this writing.)

Lightbulb Re: TSP board to limit interfund transfers

Scout, what ever the Fund, it can be raised up to the next whole number.
    If all your funds ended in,,,,say,,,,12.03% you can raise all of them to 13%.
    If you had your money in the (C)(S)(I)(F), then thats 4 funds x 0.97% or
    3.88%. You actualy moved 3.88% out of the (G).

If you made a <1% IFT today, the percentages you asked for can be seen
    tomorrow. However, you won't see partial percentages because they did
    what you asked, after the market closed, so you'll only see whole numbers
    which represent your IFT.

With that said, you have two choices on the day after your <1% IFT.
    #1- Wait a additional day to see how your percentages have changed.
    #2- Do another IFT. But utilize the same percentages that you did the
    day before. If a fund goes down, your automatically adding shares to
    that find. If the market goes up. Your taking some shares off the table.
    If the funds end up mixed, you'll add shares to some funds, while taking
    shares away in another.

I don't want to tie up this thread with a lengthy off-topic explanation.
    I'm sure this will be confusing without additional information. Stop by
    my thread and I will answer any additional questions you have.

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast