Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 48

Thread: The Tracker and Paid Services

  1. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    rockville, md
    Posts
    1,667

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    roger that, EW. I'm subscribing to ebb, tho not follow 100%. I won't be posting for tracker anymore, so delete me from the tracker if it's convenient. A double edged sword for Tom, I'd think, since the premium services will cut down on the posts, and most likely the traffic overall, but I'm sure he priced all that in. Thanks for your efforts. GL to all

  2.  
  3. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Ogden UT
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    IMHO...the tracking and prizes are not needed for paid subscribers, but what is needed is their own message board....where discussions can take place.

    Full disclosure - I joined Ebb for one month. Seems if you join a paid subscriptioin, you lose the ability to discuss and get creative on the MB.

    How about a seperate MB for the paid subscriptions services...then roll some of the subscription revenue to you Tom...

  4.  
  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,310
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Quote Originally Posted by EW_ret View Post
    Every member must ask themselves, why do I want to be in the Automated Tracker?
    Like many others here, there are SEVERAL main reasons I want to be in the tracker:

    1. It provides information to me to see what others are doing, and what kind of results they get when I watch their moves, and then see who are the leaders so I can then visit their account chat threads and here and learn about their decision making process.

    2. It lets me see quick and easily how I am doing compared to others. That is the fun part. When I make a bad decision and it goes south, we can all look at each other and joke about it, and feel each other's pain. And when it goes good, we can celebrate with each other , and talk about what we are going to do with that new money.

    No- the autotracker and message boards are both intergral parts of this site, and we need ot find a way to make them happen - behind closed doors if necessary- but still make it work.

    My 2 cents.

  6.  
  7. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    993

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    I see how everyone moves, or say they move their TSP funds. I see some members moving funds around daily to feed the gambler impulse. Most just want to make their TSP account grow large enough to retire early.

    I added myself to the Automated Tracker to test the L fund tracking. I anticipate removing myself at end of year. I am not in the Weekly WebTracker since I became the Tracker last year. I receive multiple paid services, but do not always follow the advice. I use Quicken to track all my investment performance so I do not need to be in the tracker. I visit TSPTalk more now that I am retired and I became the Tracker because I had the time. Visiting TSPTalk allows interaction with others that I miss from work.

  8.  
  9. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Berwick Maine. (Were,,,, no one lives in Maine!!!)
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Rules??? (Must rules be set in concrete?)
    I canít see why those who pay for service should be restricted from partaking in the automatic Tracker?
    For myself, I see Ebbís system as a tool and have no intention of following it to the letter.
    I do however want to see how my performance is doing compared to other members. There is something to be learned there. Something to be gained. If you must draw your oz. of blood, denote those members who Pay for service and restrict them from prizes and rewards. It seems to me that those members who are NOT on a pay for service program would also want to know how those that are, are doing! Make sense to me!

  10.  
  11. #18

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Quote Originally Posted by camper65 View Post
    Rules??? (Must rules be set in concrete?)
    I canít see why those who pay for service should be restricted from partaking in the automatic Tracker?
    For myself, I see Ebbís system as a tool and have no intention of following it to the letter.
    I do however want to see how my performance is doing compared to other members. There is something to be learned there. Something to be gained. If you must draw your oz. of blood, denote those members who Pay for service and restrict them from prizes and rewards. It seems to me that those members who are NOT on a pay for service program would also want to know how those that are, are doing! Make sense to me!
    Of course, you can use any number of tools available to track yourself. Compare your results to those using the auto tracker, and there you go.

    The auto tracker is really for those who want to enter into a friendly competition to see who can guess the market the best using their own intuition/system/luck.

    If you want to know how the systems that are fee for service are doing, then just refer to their published results. Those using those systems will reflect those results anyway.
    Official Retirement Date: 06-31-2014!


  12.  
  13. #19

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Two diametrically opposed business models are now in play. You can't do both effectively. If membership is where the money is and the free flow of information is discouraged, then the tracking and active account talk participation will shrivel on the vine.

  14.  
  15. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,248
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Quote Originally Posted by charmed855 View Post
    Two diametrically opposed business s are now in play. You can't do both effectively. If membership is where the money is and the free flow of information is discouraged, then the tracking and active account talk participation will shrivel on the vine.
    I agree. I think Tom just made the first step(unintentional) towards a completely paid site. How long that will take is the million dollar question. By having a paid service associated with this site will result in a huge loss on the message board. In my opinion, it has already taken place. I would think the daily total number of post has probably already started a decline.

    My 2 cents
    CURRENT ALLOCATION = 100% G
    Fear is the greatest buy signal ever seen in the stock markets - Birchtree

  16.  
  17. #21

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Actually, I think the various offerings on the site are complementary.

    EbbTracker is not the first paid service on the site, and it may not be the last. The EbbTracker never provided information, only predictions. The site is about information, so the EbbTracker never contributed to that process in a significant way. Even Ebb himself is not a cult follower, as he deviates himself (at his own expense it seems).

    The reports of the death of this site are greatly exaggerated.

    We have only gone from a polemic debate about the Doctrine of the EbbTracker, and have now moved to the Theology of it. Soon it will move to the Escatology of EbbTracker while those who subscribe are mostly interested in the Soteriological aspects.

    Cheer up! This is still the best place to "learn and churn"... the free ride is over. If you want to play, then you must pay...
    Official Retirement Date: 06-31-2014!

  18.  
  19. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    993

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    How true that statement rings. It is difficult to have paid TSP services and still have successful free content. Once you have a popular paid service everybody wants it and can't keep their mouth shut. So we spend time policing those who are engaging the mouth before the brain.

    I will remove you from the Weekly WebTracker, but not the Automated Tracker. Could you send me a PM to that effect so I a record. Then do not post to your account thread in Members' Accounts (no chat) forum. We are considering, and likely implementing changes to the Automated Tracker that will allow everyone to be tracked but hide fund allocations, and recent returns for those that pay for TSP services.

    I have started examining member IFTs in the accounts threads this week for following the paid services moves. They will receive a warning if following the EbbChart system or other paid services. Continued violation of rule 6 will be referred to the site administrator, Tom.

    Quote Originally Posted by FUTURESTRADER View Post
    roger that, EW. I'm subscribing to ebb, tho not follow 100%. I won't be posting for tracker anymore, so delete me from the tracker if it's convenient. A double edged sword for Tom, I'd think, since the premium services will cut down on the posts, and most likely the traffic overall, but I'm sure he priced all that in. Thanks for your efforts. GL to all
    I agree, members rely on our tracker to compare their TSP return with others. They do not have the financial programs to track all their investments. They have a need to keep up, or do better, than the guy next door. For some itís the gamesmanship and feeding the gambling impulse.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
    Of course, you can use any number of tools available to track yourself. Compare your results to those using the auto tracker, and there you go.

    The auto tracker is really for those who want to enter into a friendly competition to see who can guess the market the best using their own intuition/system/luck.

    If you want to know how the systems that are fee for service are doing, then just refer to their published results. Those using those systems will reflect those results anyway.

  20.  
  21. #23

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    I think for a nub like me, this site had provided great service of informing about where, how, and when to invest. But now I see this site requires subscription. I only started investing in TSP just a year ago and I don't have much funds invested in TSP. I think paying for service is good only for those with substantial amount of money invested in TSP and you will see the decrease in the number of new members coming to the site if information is not shared. How can you expect us, nubs, to pay the fee if the gain we achieve with this paid service is so small?... perhaps smaller than the subscription fee you require?

  22.  
  23. #24

    Default Re: The Tracker and Paid Services

    Quote Originally Posted by DCguy View Post
    I think for a nub like me, this site had provided great service of informing about where, how, and when to invest. But now I see this site requires subscription. I only started investing in TSP just a year ago and I don't have much funds invested in TSP. I think paying for service is good only for those with substantial amount of money invested in TSP and you will see the decrease in the number of new members coming to the site if information is not shared. How can you expect us, nubs, to pay the fee if the gain we achieve with this paid service is so small?... perhaps smaller than the subscription fee you require?
    Think in terms of percentage growth instead of actual dollars. You will find it is as or more important to grow your balance now than later as todays dollars will ultimately be more valuable in retirement. For example, that $4 Starbucks will likely be worth 5-6x that amount at retirement.

    Many people feel they don't have enough to save or invest, but by waiting, they hardly ever accumulate that amount. How much do you need to start earning what you feel such a service could return?

    You probably need to use a service now more than later... if you feel a service is worthwhile at all.

    Many people used the same logic to stay in the G fund, until they got enough money to justify the effort to move it around... guess what... now they wish they had gotten involved much sooner...

    It is true though, the more you have, the smaller the relative cost of the service. The point is to grow your investment as quick as you can, relative to your ability to tolerate risk...

    Also... if you want a discount because you are working with a smaller sum, would you be willing to pay a larger fee when you substantially grow your account proportionately? No thanks... give me the flat fee every time...
    Official Retirement Date: 06-31-2014!

  24.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SPY (C Fund) (delayed)
The Tracker and Paid Services
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
DWCPF (S Fund) (delayed)
The Tracker and Paid Services
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
EFA (I Fund) (delayed)
The Tracker and Paid Services
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
BND (F Fund) (delayed)
The Tracker and Paid Services
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)

Yahoo Finance Realtime TSP Fund Tracking Index Quotes