Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here with no experience

1. Default Newbie Here with no experience

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone especially to those serving overseas today.

My name is Dave and started my postion with DOC one year ago yesterday and jumped on board the TSP wagon and spread things around pretty good. Like many new folks I did not have much experience and put my funds into G, I, S and 2030. Now they are all in the G fund.

I am thinking about making a change and putting 25% back into the C fund looking at the recnet markets. Needless to say I have little experience at this and there sure are many folks here with great experience? Any recommendations on this move.

I also finished a 29 year active duty career with the Coast Guard last year and should have started investiing into the TSP many years ago but never did.

Thank you, and I look forward to being part of this community. Once again Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you and your families.

Respectfully,

Dave

Post Re: Newbie Here with no experience

Welcome there! Dave......

Default Re: Newbie Here with no experience

Welcome Dave. Happy Thanksgiving and good luck with your TSP investing!

Wink Re: Newbie Here with no experience

Happy Turkey Day and Welcome aboard Relentless !

Dave, welcome to the Message Board.
    I've been at this a long time and surely don't know what the Markets are going to do next. If you figure it out let me know. Currently I'm 100% "G".
    Norman
    Last edited by nnuut; 11-28-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Welcome to the boards. Great information can be found by trolling around.

Blog Entries

Welcome Dave, glad to have you here. We ALL wish we would have done better by learning more sooner- but it is never too late to start expanding the knowledge base!

You'll find lots of good people here, all trying to learn more about managing their own futures. That's what it is all about.

And yes, many folks will tell you that prices now are a fire sale, and a good time to start building on the future. I think you'll do just fine over the long term if you decide that "C" is a good place for some of your money now. I too am looking at increasing stock holdings now that they are "on sale." It's kind of like a "Black Friday" price these days, right? (At least that is what I keep telling myself!)

Good luck.

Welcome Relentless, your Coast Guard history reminds me of an experience I had once with a boat. I was staying at a condo in Cedar Key, Florida when a fine gentleman had parked his rather large boat and his fine wife was standing next to it. When I looked to read the name on the boat it said "Insatiable" and when I looked at the wife next she gave me a great big smile - some people know how to live around water. Anyway, you should always have a position in the C fund if you plan to make money.

Blog Entries

Weclome and good investing.
    CURRENT ALLOCATION = 100% G
    Fear is the greatest buy signal ever seen in the stock markets - Birchtree

Welcome Dave. I think you will get a good idea of what you want to do if you do any reading here. There are many opinions and eventually you will appreciate one or more investment styles over others.

One thing I would recommend out of personal preference: I would either choose one L-fund outright and stick with it, or I would not use the L-funds at all. I wouldn't mix the two. I think mixing them confuses the intent, but hey, I'm easily confused.

Welcome!
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by relentless View Post
    My name is Dave...

Thank you, and I look forward to being part of this community. Once again Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you and your families.
    Dave,
    It's a real pleasure having you aboard. That's quite an impressive intro and there are a lot of very smart investors to learn from.

Needless to say - you probably already know about the Financial Condition our country is in (and most of the world for that matter). G Fund is a good place to stay for awhile. We hit a low is the recent past - but expect another one soon and then expect at least another 6 months of crawling around.

BUT SINCE YOU'VE JUST STARTING - Making a full contribution to C/S/I and maintaining that will pay off in years to come.

I'd rather wait for the dust to settle so I'm not feeling like I have to watch day by day - which can get nerve wracking.

Anyway - happy holidays.

Steady

Welcome to our forums. You can join our Automated Tracker once you have 10 posts. Read the Automated Tracker Rules in my signature. Click Members Ranking to see the current return rankings of our members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast