Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have A Hard Time Believing. Can Someone Explain?

Default I Have A Hard Time Believing. Can Someone Explain?

I have a hard time believing and understanding how if we as taxpayers provide our monies to save a few but gigantic institutions (rich, greedy and probably criminal) will benefit and will suffer individually (in our own pockets) if we don’t.

Can anyone help me understand? I'd appreciate any details in simple language.
    Exposé: Raging Democrat, Anti-Sexist Complainer, Agnostic, Controversial Upstart, Read w/Caution - 100% G Fund

Default Re: I Have A Hard Time Believing. Can Someone Explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Piggy View Post
    I have a hard time believing and understanding how if we as taxpayers provide our monies to save a few but gigantic institutions (rich, greedy and probably criminal) will benefit and will suffer individually (in our own pockets) if we don’t.

Can anyone help me understand? I'd appreciate any details in simple language.
    I think its all about credit and loans. On the retail side. If you can't get credit for a car loan, you can't buy car, car manufacturers can't sell cars if no one can buy, then car companies go out of business and the people who worked for those companies - manufacturing as well as sales, lose their job. Same for all retail that a lot of people buy with credit - washing machines, electronics. May be impossible to get a loan for kids college. Ultimately, it could be good...everyone will have to live within their cash. Prices should on everything would have to drop considerably.

Person:
    wants house but money tight
    buys house with A.R.M (even Sub Prime)
    moves in
    pays mortgage
    2-5 years later A.R.M. gets crazy
    Mortgage too high
    Can’t pay mortgage
    Foreclosure: Bank Owns

Bank:
    Gives person A.R.M.
    Bundles loans in M.B.S.
    Sells MBS
    MBS pays interests owner happy

MBS:
    Gets created
    Gets sold
    Person defaults on loan
    MBS bad, owner not happy

Bank:
    Tries to sell new MBS
    Insurer raises rates on MBS
    No buyers
    Can’t raise money
    Can’t loan money
    Holds on to assets and money

Businesses:
    Can’t get loans from bank
    Can’t run business
    Shut down or consolidate and lay-off

Government:
    Buys bad MBS from Banks
    Banks raise money to lend
    Bank lends money
    Business stays open people have jobs
    Government sells bad MBS later for profit

We have another name for this already
    WELFARE except this time the government actually “OWNS” property
    Bail out of corporation instead of people very hard to digest
    If the government steps in, then the money comes from the treasury, and that will take a big IOU. That IOU is to be paid by the taxpayer or sale of the assets the government buys. To me, this is deterrent/prevention/stabilizing efforts. However, if the government doesn't step in, the banks consolidate, stop lending money for a while, businesses close because they can't get money. People can't work and go on unemployment. Taxpayer pays more taxes to support those who can't support themselves. Sooner or later we pay for those banking practices.

By the way, if you have watched the markets steadily decline since Nov '07, can you imagine the retirees scratching their head at lack of buying power they have now? Not to mention a limited number of IFTs to make the most of the situation.
    THIS IS WHERE I WOULD PUT SOMETHING TO REPRESENT MY THINKING, BUT THEN THEY SHOW UP!
    Tracker =
    Check my position

It is a gov. sponsored addiction called credit and is sold by proclaiming "why wait, buy it NOW".
    Socrates: "Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike."

I have a hard time understanding how this not a bailout whateveritis bill does anything to fix the credit crisis (except maybe push it back to next year)?
    "All the prophets of Doom, Can always find room, In a world full of worry and fear..." - Protest Song, Monty Python

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbird View Post
    I have a hard time understanding how this not a bailout whateveritis bill does anything to fix the credit crisis (except maybe push it back to next year)?
    "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

It does not "fix" anything. The "hope" is that the lenders will loosen up and lend once they sell the bad paper to the tax payer, thus continuing the crime that got us here.
    Socrates: "Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike."

Lending transfers wealth from the idiot people that can not afford the junk they buy throught the lender for a fee and to the retailers and producers. Thus, making the people that got us to this situation either more wealth or they have more junk to throw away at the city wide clean up.

So the House NOT passing this bill is irresponsible why?
    I think we need a different bill?
    "All the prophets of Doom, Can always find room, In a world full of worry and fear..." - Protest Song, Monty Python

Quote Originally Posted by Show-me View Post
    It does not "fix" anything. The "hope" is that the lenders will loosen up and lend once they sell the bad paper to the tax payer, thus continuing the crime that got us here.
    Hope all you want, but the only sure thing is that if you spend $700B for bad paper, then you own the bad paper and the entity that you sold it to will have your $700B.

As far as the beneficial effect on short term credit shortage, there is no evidence from the rates, spreads, and/or futures, that this is necessarily going to happen at all - and certainly not instantaneously.

In other words, it is a complete waste of money. Don't do it. It won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbird View Post
    So the House NOT passing this bill is irresponsible why?
    I think we need a different bill?
    Because, it is what the lobbiest want to save their butts and it will get worse before it gets better. It always does when you try to stop a addictive habit.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Hope all you want, but the only sure thing is that if you spend $700B for bad paper, then you own the bad paper and the entity that you sold it to will have your $700B.

As far as the beneficial effect on short term credit shortage, there is no evidence from the rates, spreads, and/or futures, that this is necessarily going to happen at all - and certainly not instantaneously.

In other words, it is a complete waste of money. Don't do it. It won't work.
    I agree, just to be clear it is not me that is hopeful.

[quote=Show-me;184107]Because, it is what the lobbiest want to save their butts and it will get worse before it gets better. It always does when you try to stop a addictive habit.

quote]

Nice post!!! They're like heroin addicts agreeing to go to the methadone clinic -- nice try ... try jail for some good 'ol economic d.t.'s and a cold turkey solution!!!

This may be a bit harsh but I agree with your addiction analogy.
    Which one of you nuts has got any guts? -- Randle P. McMurphy
    ... stupidity will always find a way. -- Nnuut

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast