Likes Likes:  0

Thread: L fund is doing its job

Default L fund is doing its job

Until I learn some of the ropes of changing funds and when, the L fund seems to be working for me being 53 with two years left to retire. There are some really bright people on this message board. I am in the 2010 fund, which if you take the first five months annualized, is running between 7 and 8%.

Default FWIW I Agree

The L fund is doing well enough. I see you selected the 2010 L Fund. I am 55 and I selected the 2020 L Fund based on the hope that I would not be withdrawing money until 2020 despite retiring earlier. I do not see a lot of advice on the official TSP site about which L fund to select so I think this is an interesting question. Should the L Fund choice be made on the anticipated retirement date, the anticipated withdrawal date (if later that retirement date) or on an overall assett allocation based on one's total assets including home, IRAs, CDs, investments and cash?

But the various L funds are doing fine and I wish you well with your choices.

Default 2010 fund

Actually, I would stay working longer than 55 if I was in a department other than the postal service. Neither do I plan to take the TSP money as soon as I retire. Im not sure if I'll use the L income or G fund for interest. It depends on the conditions in early 08.

Default L Funds

I think the L Funds did well the 1st week of the year.
    L 1.8%
    L 2010 1.8%
    L 2020 2.4%
    L 2030 2.8%
    L 2040 3.2%
    C Fund 3.0 %
    S Fund 3.5%
    I Fund 5.0%
    I have about 18% in the L 2020 fund, with the rest in the G Fund.
    The account is my wife's and she is about 4 years away from retiring.
    On a big downturn in the market I would add more to the L 2020 fund.

Yea i think when ever i get A GS 13 positions and above I will just stick it in the L funds. Right now I am having to much fun managing my account.
    The L fund is great for someone who doesn't have the time or knowledge how to manage their own account. (Not saying I do)
    Tennisguy

11. Default L Funds

I like the L Funds.

I plan to retire in another 5 years and have 100% in the 2010 Fund and now starting all contributations to the 2020.

I think I will be OK.

Blog Entries

Default Re: L fund is doing its job

L 2040 L 2030 L 2020 L 2010 L Income

Last 12 Months 16.54% 15.04% 13.65% 11.11% 7.55%