Thread: Future Balance / Returns Calculator

Default Future Balance / Returns Calculator

I don't know if this is the right place but here is my question

I have about 300k in my TSP, I'm 43 and plan to retire at 62. I'm 100% S fund and contribute the max 17500.00 a year.

I've used calculators that are all over the place so can I get an estimate of my TSP balance at 62?

Default Re: TSP Returns calculator

Quote Originally Posted by SJCX View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place but here is my question

I have about 300k in my TSP, I'm 43 and plan to retire at 62. I'm 100% S fund and contribute the max 17500.00 a year.

I've used calculators that are all over the place so can I get an estimate of my TSP balance at 62?
    I just use those on the TSP Website, nothing is for sure when you buy and hold the S Fund. I'd recommend sigining up for Intrepid Timer's Service on here and make some good money with his help. Good luck!
    From the couch of Y2KBug!
    Maranatha!

Default Re: TSP Returns calculator

A friend of mine wrote and gave me this program years ago and I posted on the utilities page for people to download and use. I have no idea if it is even still working, but it was designed to do just what your asking.

Go to this page and scroll the bottom half and you will see something called, Financial Futures.

TSP Calculator - Thrift Savings Plan

Use the "Run Program" link. I just tried it and I got a couple of weird messages, probably because it is is such an old program, but it did work.
    Tom
    Market Commentary | My Blog | TSP Talk Plus | |

I am not a Registered Investment Advisor and this is not investment advice. Please do your own due diligence.

Default Re: Future Balance Returns Calculator

It's not magic. Your estimate are all over the place because they depend on the numbers going in. For example, you can use a simple spreadsheet to calculate the Future Value on an initial balance of 300K with constant annual additions of 17.5K after 19 years (43 to 62) for any given annualized interest rate. I think TSP uses 4%. Using a spreadsheet, I couldn't get to attach, I came up with the following estimates:

at 4% 1.1 Million
    at 7% 1.8 Million
    at 10% 2.9 Million

The spreadsheet breaks it down by whether the addition is added annually, monthly, bi-weekly, but it is all just an estimate. Also don't forget about inflation. A million dollars won't buy you as much in 19 years.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Allocations as of COB Dec 28 : 100% S. | Retirement Date:Dec 2025
    Past Returns:
    2020 31.85%,2019 27.97%,2018 -3.36%,2017 13.10%, 2016 -1.79%, 5Yr Avg 12.61%