Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 254

Thread: nasa1974's retirement story

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default nasa1974's retirement story

    So now it begins.

    Elgallo has done a great job and I will still follow his progress. Just figured I would add my 2 cents without cluttering up Elgallo's retirement thread.

    I am CSRS and will have 42 years and a few days (including military time) when I retire May 3rd.

    Late yesterday I got the E-mail from NSSC (NASA Shared Services Center) with the links for my retirement paperwork.
    SF-2801 Application for Immediate Retirement, CSRS
    SF-2818 Continuation of Life Insurance Coverage
    These forms need to be filled out as soon as possible and FAXed to NSSC for review. If everything looks good then they have to be signed and mailed. Then the process begins in earnest

    There are other forms that can be filled out but not required. Some for TSP, but I need to do a little more research for the TSP stuff.
    May the force be with us.


  2.  
  3. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    I FAXed my retirement papers to NSSC today. The clock is ticking. Not sure what I want to do with my TSP yet. Thinking of taking a one time withdrawl to buy a new truck. Need to do a little more research. No penalties though since I will be 60 in May.
    May the force be with us.

  4.  
  5. #3

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Nasa,

    So you've decided to pull out 3 May ? CONGRATS !!!

    You've inspired me to start my retirement experience thread, too...I'm going 30 April (end of month), so maybe others will benefit from our experiences ! You're CSRS ; I'm FERS...you're going 3 May (end of pay period for you, to get the A/L ?). I'll lose the 8 hrs a/l 'cause I'm in mid-pay period...oh well !

    Best wishes in your retirement, and may all the paperwork go smoothly !

    Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson

  6.  
  7. #4

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    I FAXed my retirement papers to NSSC today. The clock is ticking. Not sure what I want to do with my TSP yet. Thinking of taking a one time withdrawl to buy a new truck. Need to do a little more research. No penalties though since I will be 60 in May.
    Nasa you are a very nice person. Enjoy your retirement. I wish I would be 60 in May. They say you can't turn back time.

  8.  
  9. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,676
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Congrats on making it there. I wish you all the best- enjoy it.

  10.  
  11. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoplight View Post
    Nasa,

    So you've decided to pull out 3 May ? CONGRATS !!!

    You've inspired me to start my retirement experience thread, too...I'm going 30 April (end of month), so maybe others will benefit from our experiences ! You're CSRS ; I'm FERS...you're going 3 May (end of pay period for you, to get the A/L ?). I'll lose the 8 hrs a/l 'cause I'm in mid-pay period...oh well !

    Best wishes in your retirement, and may all the paperwork go smoothly !

    Stoplight...
    Thanks Stoplight. May 3rd is a Thursday and the pay period ends Saturday the 5th. So I will not get credit for the annual leave or sick leave for that pay period. Retiring May 3rd my first retirement check will show up in early June. If I retired on the 4th to get credit for AL and SL my retirement check would be delayed until early July. I will gladly give up the AL and SL so the check shows up a month early. Good luck with the April date.
    May the force be with us.

  12.  
  13. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by Handballer View Post
    Nasa you are a very nice person. Enjoy your retirement. I wish I would be 60 in May. They say you can't turn back time.
    Thanks HB.
    May the force be with us.

  14.  
  15. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by James48843 View Post
    Congrats on making it there. I wish you all the best- enjoy it.
    Thanks James.
    May the force be with us.

  16.  
  17. #9

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    Thanks Stoplight. May 3rd is a Thursday and the pay period ends Saturday the 5th. So I will not get credit for the annual leave or sick leave for that pay period. Retiring May 3rd my first retirement check will show up in early June. If I retired on the 4th to get credit for AL and SL my retirement check would be delayed until early July. I will gladly give up the AL and SL so the check shows up a month early. Good luck with the April date.
    DUH <slapping forehead> ! You said you were CSRS...that's one of the differences between you and me, as a FERS Guy ! I gotta go the end of the month, for the same reasons you cite...

    Stoplight...
    "Too old to rock and roll...too young to die"... - I. Anderson


  18.  
  19. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Aiea, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    congrats, NASA! I will be interested in following your story. Hopefully it goes thru faster than Zebra's! I am FERS and eligible in Nov this year...so it will be also interesting to see if your story and Stoplights' are similar...being different programs.

    And getting out before the big raid on Fed benefits! Did that play any part in your decision?!

    Anyway...enjoy, Enjoy, ENJOY! You deserve it!

  20.  
  21. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Quote Originally Posted by uscfanhawaii View Post
    congrats, NASA! I will be interested in following your story. Hopefully it goes thru faster than Zebra's! I am FERS and eligible in Nov this year...so it will be also interesting to see if your story and Stoplights' are similar...being different programs.

    And getting out before the big raid on Fed benefits! Did that play any part in your decision?!

    Anyway...enjoy, Enjoy, ENJOY! You deserve it!
    The playing around with the retirement system didn't factor into my decision. I just couldn't see working for 20% of my pay. Why not take the 80% and enjoy it. I hope that I don't have the same issues as zebra did. I hope my process is simple. The Air Force and NASA are the only the only places I have been employed since I got of high school. I have paid back my military and my temp time for over two years now and my papers from NSSC reflect that. So I have my fingers crossed.
    May the force be with us.

  22.  
  23. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: nasa1974's retirement story

    Update for my retirement.

    Friday 3/9 I FAXed all my papers to the NSSC and late yesterday afternoon my HR person called to go over my forms. I filled out everything correctly EXCEPT I forgot to sign in 5 different areas. Really!! She told me that once I signed everything and include a copy of my marriage certificate I can mail the originals to her.

    I read through the TSP forms yesterday and they were not as confusing as I thought they would be. But I will read over everything again. You can fill the forms out online but everything has to be mailed to them.
    May the force be with us.

  24.  
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SPY (C Fund) (delayed)
nasa1974's retirement story
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
DWCPF (S Fund) (delayed)
nasa1974's retirement story
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
EFA (I Fund) (delayed)
nasa1974's retirement story
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
AGG (F Fund) (delayed)
nasa1974's retirement story
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)