Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 385 to 396 of 399

Thread: PessOptimist's Account Talk

  1. #385

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by nasa1974 View Post
    It's amazing how a bunch of 20 somethings in the service are/were responsible for millions of dollars worth of equipment. You are correct about "taught to do with pride". Never got out of the States; Lackland, Chanute and F.E. Warren (70-74). Always remember the sacrifice of our men and women in service.
    Pocket Rocket guy. Remember when everyone predicted you would never have a trade when you got out? I think most of you did well. Thank you.

    No matter what any of you did in your service, remember nasa’s words
    Always remember the sacrifice of our men and women in service.
    PO

  2.  
  3. #386

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    This is supposed to be about TSP investments, right? Status quo for now, 13% C, 87% G. I retire in 6 months. I am huhner oder schüchtern about investing.

    The stuff below brings back a flood of memories from that time.

    Sgt Mark had a 12 or so year old Opel Rekord. One of those cars that could no longer pass the FRG TÜV but could pass the USAREUR test. Part of his mentorship was taking us into “Germany” a couple times a month. Rules were we only went on weekends that did not include the 15th or end of the month. Common paydays for US military in FRG. We started out going to Gasthauses and having a meal along with beer of wine. Save your money between paydays. All mine was going to my family except for $20 per month. He also took us to some of the gentleman’s clubs in the area. What money we had would disappear at an amazing rate in those places. Then when he saw fit he took us in to Frankfurt am Main on a Friday that coincided with the end of the month Army/Air Force payday. What a crowded zoo that was. KaiserStraße was unbelievable. Roaming the stairwells and gawking at the prostitutes and price lists on the wall. Then over to Sachsenhausen. Apfelkorn, apfelwine some places even called it apfelsaft which is juice. That apfel stuff will make you feel bad for days.

    Thanks to Sgt Mark for the introduction to Germany. After my wife and daughter arrived (remember, sold everything and bought a plane ticket) and we found a humble abode “on the economy”, we had house guests every weekend. They would bring food, drink and sometimes take us on incredible road trips. My daughter had three “uncles” who all surprised me with their child care skills. Including diaper changing and rinsing if necessary due to a “big one”. The down side was three less than sober airmen sleeping on the furniture. I would never want to repeat that part of my life but do cherish it.

    PO

  4.  
  5. #387

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Updated the autotracker to reflect reality. No IFT, just payroll allocation to C fund and C fund slowly rising overall. I am on track for about 4% this year which is fine since I am retiring. Maybe after retirement when I have more time to watch things and make my best guess I will take a percentage of the TSP fund to play with.

    About 90 work days left.

    PO


  6.  
  7. #388

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,940

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    The great countdown...should be about 85 work days now Wait til you get closer, to the calendar day count down

  8.  
  9. #389

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Ah jeez. Here I sit 68 days from retiring and 16% of TSP in C fund as of Friday. Payroll allocation still goes to C fund. Am I buying bargains or pissing it away. Should I sell C at a loss or hang in there? Three more pay periods left and three more buy opportunities before the end of contributions.
    What to do, what to do? Guess I will let her ride and if C keeps making the balance go down finally sell it at a loss. Or wait. I don’t plan on drawing anything out of TSP until mid 2019.
    It looks like I am on track to break even this year, I hope.
    PO

  10.  
  11. #390

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    So, are you still going to retire after all this? You have to be able to aford to retire. You don't want to quit the government to go stand on your feet all day at Lowe's/Home Depot. I've known too many people doing that and it aint great.
    Allocations as of COB Sep 28 : 100% I. | Retirement Date:Dec 2022
    Past Returns:
    2017 13.10%, 2016 -1.79%, 2015 8.71%, 2014 -7.39%, 2013 17.29%,5Yr Avg 5.58%

  12.  
  13. #391

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The High Desert
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by PessOptimist View Post
    Ah jeez. Here I sit 68 days from retiring and 16% of TSP in C fund as of Friday. Payroll allocation still goes to C fund. Am I buying bargains or pissing it away. Should I sell C at a loss or hang in there? Three more pay periods left and three more buy opportunities before the end of contributions.
    What to do, what to do? Guess I will let her ride and if C keeps making the balance go down finally sell it at a loss. Or wait. I don’t plan on drawing anything out of TSP until mid 2019.
    It looks like I am on track to break even this year, I hope.
    PO
    I've turned in my papers and am not looking back. 12/31/18 is my last day. I'm confident that there will be a nice year-end rally, a "wave B" in Elliott wave terms, and am hoping to get back in and catch that. Right now it's looking to me like the main reason for this selloff is fear over the election. So it should bottom on or before election day is my guess.

  14.  
  15. #392

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    So, are you still going to retire after all this? You have to be able to aford to retire. You don't want to quit the government to go stand on your feet all day at Lowe's/Home Depot. I've known too many people doing that and it aint great.
    Prior Proper Planning Promotes…what? Prosperity isn’t really the right word. Peace of mind? Doesn’t fit really, need a catchy one word synonym for survival that starts with P. Perpetuation? No nothing lasts forever, even those perpetual care contracts you buy at cemeteries. Prolongation? Perseverance? Presence? Not really happy with any of them but Presence will do. While it is one of the “legs” of the FERS three legged stool, my TSP is not really essential to presence. Maybe stool isn’t a good analogy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I've turned in my papers and am not looking back. 12/31/18 is my last day. I'm confident that there will be a nice year-end rally, a "wave B" in Elliott wave terms, and am hoping to get back in and catch that. Right now it's looking to me like the main reason for this selloff is fear over the election. So it should bottom on or before election day is my guess.
    I am with you on the not looking back part. Not so confident about the end of year rally.
    Thanks for the replies.
    PO

  16.  
  17. #393

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Aiea, Hawaii
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Originally Posted by Cactus
    So, are you still going to retire after all this? You have to be able to aford to retire. You don't want to quit the government to go stand on your feet all day at Lowe's/Home Depot. I've known too many people doing that and it aint great.



    Prior Proper Planning Promotes…what? Prosperity isn’t really the right word. Peace of mind? Doesn’t fit really, need a catchy one word synonym for survival that starts with P. Perpetuation? No nothing lasts forever, even those perpetual care contracts you buy at cemeteries. Prolongation? Perseverance? Presence? Not really happy with any of them but Presence will do. While it is one of the “legs” of the FERS three legged stool, my TSP is not really essential to presence. Maybe stool isn’t a good analogy?

    Originally Posted by Tsunami
    I've turned in my papers and am not looking back. 12/31/18 is my last day. I'm confident that there will be a nice year-end rally, a "wave B" in Elliott wave terms, and am hoping to get back in and catch that. Right now it's looking to me like the main reason for this selloff is fear over the election. So it should bottom on or before election day is my guess.



    I am with you on the not looking back part. Not so confident about the end of year rally.
    Thanks for the replies.
    PO



    I also have my papers in for a Dec 31 retirement!

    Not looking back! 36 yrs of TSP will not be wiped out, and besides, I plan to stay invested over my LONG retirement!!
    Plenty of time to get it back!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those that don't!!
    Retirement date: December 31, 2018!!

  18.  
  19. #394

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stinking desert valley of bad air quality, AZ
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Any big plans for New Year’s eve? I plan to celebrate almost as usual. Try to stay awake to drink champagne the SO bought. Fall asleep in a chair. Wake up and NOT go to bed around 2100. Drink champagne with SO at midnight. Go to bed and remember I DO NOT have to remember to turn on the alarm. Maybe ever again but never for 0434. Never say never?

    After that-not worry about leaving the house between 0510 and 0520 to make the 15 mile commute by 0600. Only get out of bed when I can no longer sleep for some reason. Forget what day of the week it is.

    Possibly this belongs in my retirement talk thread?

    PO

  20.  
  21. #395

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by PessOptimist View Post
    Any big plans for New Year’s eve? I plan to celebrate almost as usual. Try to stay awake to drink champagne the SO bought. Fall asleep in a chair. Wake up and NOT go to bed around 2100. Drink champagne with SO at midnight. Go to bed and remember I DO NOT have to remember to turn on the alarm. Maybe ever again but never for 0434. Never say never?

    After that-not worry about leaving the house between 0510 and 0520 to make the 15 mile commute by 0600. Only get out of bed when I can no longer sleep for some reason. Forget what day of the week it is.

    Possibly this belongs in my retirement talk thread?

    PO
    Warning from an old retiree Its really easy to get your days and nights mixed up. Stay up all night watching old TV shows and sleep all day. Not that great for your health! But you get to decide not Uncle Sam!

  22.  
  23. #396

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boiled Peanut, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    54,446

    Default Re: PessOptimist's Account Talk

    I retired Jan 3rd in 2010 and haven't regretted it, GOOD Stuff. It takes a while to get used to but well worth it. Yes I never know what day of the week it is, thankfully my computer has a calendar. Best of luck Newbies you will LOVE IT!!~ok.gif
    Crude Oil 11/13/2018
    $55.69 -$4.24


  24.  
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SPY (C Fund) (delayed)
PessOptimist's Account Talk
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
DWCPF (S Fund) (delayed)
PessOptimist's Account Talk
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
EFA (I Fund) (delayed)
PessOptimist's Account Talk
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
AGG (F Fund) (delayed)
PessOptimist's Account Talk
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)