Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 25 to 36 of 36

Thread: REITs

  1. #25

    Default Re: REITs

    Quote Originally Posted by RealMoneyIssues View Post
    I bailed on NLY basically breaking even so REITS haven't done much for me in the last 5 months...
    Hello RMI, Just curious, what caused you to bail on Annaly (NYL)? The debt ceiling battle made me a little nervous but I finally decided odds were in favor of a deal getting done and interest rates staying low for the time being.

  2.  
  3. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9,562

    Default Re: REITs

    Quote Originally Posted by Scout333 View Post
    Hello RMI, Just curious, what caused you to bail on Annaly (NYL)? The debt ceiling battle made me a little nervous but I finally decided odds were in favor of a deal getting done and interest rates staying low for the time being.
    I decided to bail on all stocks. I chose to try to track the overall market and use index ETFs. I just haven't been able to rid myself of O and CIM yet. I should just sell, but they're such a small part of my account that I am keeping them until a break even, or if they are on a tear... a profit
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

    "Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

    Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

  4.  
  5. #27

    Default Re: REITs

    Interesting discussion on effect of Operation Twist on REITs.

    Operation Twist and SEC Threats Take Luster From REIT Dividends
    October 3, 2011 8:16 AM ET
    http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...03&id=14338067

    NLY down approx. $ 1.00 share. Note. Ex-dividend date was last week which would usually drop shares .60 per share or approx. equal to qtrly. dividend. So not a huge drop but time to pay attention in this environment.


  6.  
  7. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9,562

    Default Re: REITs

    Quote Originally Posted by Scout333 View Post
    Interesting discussion on effect of Operation Twist on REITs.

    Operation Twist and SEC Threats Take Luster From REIT Dividends
    October 3, 2011 8:16 AM ET
    http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...03&id=14338067

    NLY down approx. $ 1.00 share. Note. Ex-dividend date was last week which would usually drop shares .60 per share or approx. equal to qtrly. dividend. So not a huge drop but time to pay attention in this environment.
    Sounds like I need to think about off loading my two small positions in O and CIM... maybe they won't recover...
    Rules:
    - Trade what you see, not what you believe
    - Don't put stuff in your signature that a Mod doesn't like

    "Government exists to protect all people’s rights, not some people’s feelings." - A. Barton Hinkle

    Great Tools:
    http://www.CreditKarma.com
    http://www.Mint.com
    http://www.SaveUp.com/r/nmJ

  8.  
  9. #29

    Default Re: REITs

    Pretty good analysis of US and global economies. Annaly Cap.'s third quarter commentary.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ann...011-2011-10-12

  10.  
  11. #30

    Default Re: REITs

    HARP Refi Program's effect on REITs

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3022...its?source=msn

  12.  
  13. #31

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,427
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: REITs

    I'm looking to add a REIT position for stability. Looks like NLY is popular -- is that the way to go?
    Don't Fight The Fed!

  14.  
  15. #32

    Default Re: REITs

    Quote Originally Posted by bmneveu View Post
    I'm looking to add a REIT position for stability. Looks like NLY is popular -- is that the way to go?
    Not sure a REIT is the best option for stability. NLY is, however, one of the most well-managed REITs out there in my opinion. High yielding investment vehicle ( +14% return). It is a higher risk investment and is subject to interest rate sensitivity. Something you would want to pay attention to if you decide to invest in any REIT. JMHO

    Bernanke Helps Boost REIT Dividend Expectations
    June 14, 2011 8:16 AM ET.

    Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) have some of the highest yields on Wall Street. As a REIT, these companies are typically not taxed on their income but are required to pay out 90 percent of their taxable income in dividends. While this makes dividend payments more volatile, analysts argue that REITs' profits should remain stable given the current economic conditions. The Bedford Report examines the outlook for diversified REITs and provides equity research on American Capital Agency Corporation (NASDAQ: AGNC) and Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NYSE: NLY). Access to the full company reports can be found at:

    www.bedfordreport.com/AGNC

    www.bedfordreport.com/NLY

    Lots of good information in this thread re REITS. Worth the time to read up if you're considering investing in REITS. Good Luck!

  16.  
  17. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida, USA
    Posts
    24,244

    Default Re: REITs

    You might look at BDN and DRE - both of which I own.

  18.  
  19. #34

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,427
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: REITs

    Thanks guys, I'll do some research.
    Don't Fight The Fed!

  20.  
  21. #35

    Default Re: REITs

    Might be worth taking a look at AGNC. Dividend holding around 15-16% range. Just remember REITs are higher risk investments and sensitive to interest rate changes. JMHO

    American Capital Agency Maintained Its Dividend, Unlike Annaly - Seeking Alpha

  22.  
  23. #36

    Default Re: REITs

    Quote Originally Posted by Scout333 View Post
    Might be worth taking a look at AGNC. Dividend holding around 15-16% range. Just remember REITs are higher risk investments and sensitive to interest rate changes. JMHO

    American Capital Agency Maintained Its Dividend, Unlike Annaly - Seeking Alpha
    Should have listened to my own advice. Great dividends! I just stayed too long at the party A little too greedy. I sold my position today as I suspect that as interest rates rise investments in REITs such as NLY and AGNC will continue to weaken. For those with a large measure of fortitude I believe they will recover but it could be awhile and I expect the beatings will continue in the meantime. JMHO


  24.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SPY (C Fund) (delayed)
REITs
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
DWCPF (S Fund) (delayed)
REITs
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
EFA (I Fund) (delayed)
REITs
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)
BND (F Fund) (delayed)
REITs
(Stockcharts.com Real-time)

Yahoo Finance Realtime TSP Fund Tracking Index Quotes