PDA

View Full Version : tsp calc

TheMailman
01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
When I put in the info on the TSP CALCULATOR for my retirement , What rate Do I put when t says Enter (as a whole percent) the annual rate of return you expect your investment to earn IS That the rate ffor the end of the year like 18.03% in S fund ? Thanjks
(Future rates may not replicate historical rates of return.)

http://www.tsp.gov/calc/PAB_intro.html

Mike
01-20-2005, 12:52 AM
It means you estimate what annual percentage gain you expect from your TSP.

For example, I gained 16% in '03, 10% in '04, and I'm about -3% this year, which would average out to about 8% per year return. Of course, my results are skewed due to a short time investing.

tsptalk
01-20-2005, 08:23 AM
TheMailman wrote:
When I put in the info on the TSP CALCULATOR for my retirement , What rate Do I put when t says Enter (as a whole percent) the annual rate of return you expect your investment to earn IS That the rate ffor the end of the year like 18.03% in S fund ? Thanjks
(Future rates may not replicate historical rates of return
I think expecting 10 to 11% annually in the market over the long term is reasonable.

Try different rates until you get a result that you think you can retire on. If it is low, near 6%, then you know you you can be more conservative with your investments. If it turns out to be like 15%, you better be more aggressive.