PDA

View Full Version : USPS cuts

James48843
09-19-2011, 01:26 PM
California Congressman Darrell Issa(R-CA 49) introduces legislation to bypass Postal Union contracts, and massively lay off Postal Workers, as part of a Postal restructuring. Meanwhile, the Obama Adminstration offers to cut pension costs, and reduce delivery to five days a week.

http://news.yahoo.com/postal-plan-save-20-billion-white-house-170626630.html

and

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-latest-plan-to-save-postal-service-cuts-front-door-saturday-delivery-20110919,0,610785.story

FAB1
09-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Boo republicans.

Praise Obama!!

This is the gist of the post. No?

RealMoneyIssues
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Boo republicans.

Praise Obama!!

This is the gist of the post. No?
Either that or he is trying to be a mass thread starter (does he have a Google Ad number?)

He could have posted it in any of these related threads:
Postal Service - Big changes ahead.
Post Office Halts Retirement Contributions for Employees...
Postal Service Looks To Cut 40,000 Jobs In First Layoff In History
Post Office: Will there be one in 20 years?
R.I.F.: 1,700 USPS Employees to be cut
Postal: 150,000 Offered Early Retirement
Postal Service to offer buyouts

Just a thought ;)

James48843
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Whatever, guys.

My point in starting a thread is to simply point out that today both the President and Congressman Issa floated additional details of proposals to save the postal service from default. Both the President and Issa are talking about substantial things that will affect members on this board- and lots of federal employees too. it's news today because both released significant details today.

If the Postal Service is taken out of the FEHB health plans, it could mean significant jumps in health care premiums for the rest of us, as smaller pools of employees could translate into higher health care costs for those who remain in FEHB plans.

Just saying.

I didn't bash anyone. I simply posted two significant news story links. You make up your own spin as you wish.

P.s.- No, I don't have an AD-SENSE account number working. I tried that, but after each of the first three months netted me an estimated .03 cents a month in earnings, but I needed to accumulate something like $50 before they would send me a check, I pretty much gave up on trying to make money from adsense. Just saying...

Viva_La_Migra
09-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Whatever, guys.

My point in starting a thread is to simply point out that today both the President and Congressman Issa floated additional details of proposals to save the postal service from default. Both the President and Issa are talking about substantial things that will affect members on this board- and lots of federal employees too. it's news today because both released significant details today.

If the Postal Service is taken out of the FEHB health plans, it could mean significant jumps in health care premiums for the rest of us, as smaller pools of employees could translate into higher health care costs for those who remain in FEHB plans.

Just saying.

I didn't bash anyone. I simply posted two significant news story links. You make up your own spin as you wish.

P.s.- No, I don't have an AD-SENSE account number working. I tried that, but after each of the first three months netted me an estimated .03 cents a month in earnings, but I needed to accumulate something like $50 before they would send me a check, I pretty much gave up on trying to make money from adsense. Just saying...

I thought everyone was being forced into Obamacare? :confused:

RealMoneyIssues
09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Good point. 2014 wasn't it?

James48843
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Everyone is required to have coverage of some kind. Currently Postal employees are in the FEHB, with mutiple plans being available. The proposals being floated include taking Postal workers OUT of FEHB, and the Postal Service self-insuring for medical. That will save, some say, between 8% and 10% in premium costs, which is how much the insurance companies are taking out in profits. Self-insuring means you don't have to pay stock dividends- you just pay medical expenses.

If those hundreds of thousands of Postal workers are removmed from FEHB plans, then the pool of employees goes down, and, theoretically at least, the costs for the rest of us goes up.

We'll see if it works that way.

P.S.- there is no such thing as "Obamacare". It's a myth.

Tere is no health insurance plan you can enroll in called Obamacare.

RealMoneyIssues
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
P.S.- there is no such thing as "Obamacare". It's a myth.

There is no health insurance plan you can enroll in called Obamacare.
Sorry:

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)

KevinD
10-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Oversight Committee Approves Issa-Ross Postal Reform Bill

http://oversight.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1480:oversight-committee-approves-issa-ross-postal-reform-bill&catid=22:releasesstatements

WASHINGTON D.C. – The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform today approved H.R. 2309, the Oversight Committee Postal Reform Act of 2011 which will return the United States Postal Service (USPS) to sustainability and profitability without a taxpayer bailout. The Issa-Ross bill is the only postal reform proposal that has been successfully acted on this Congress.

visit http://SavingThePostalService.com

burrocrat
10-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Sorry:

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)

Too bad they didn't name it the Patient Collection and Affable Care Act.

Then we could refer to it as PCACA.

I've always wanted to hear Katie Couric say that on TV.

KevinD
10-30-2011, 03:59 PM
TSPtalk - the Stupid Politics Talk forum... :rolleyes:

Buster
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I may have mentioned this before..But I am a firm supported of the USPS...Whatever it takes to see the mail continues to go through, I will support them..If it means packing my mailbox full of so called 'junk mail' ..bring it on, I'll take every envelope!...The USPS is an American tradition I do not want to see dwindle to nothing because of the Internet...In fact, I would rather the internet go away than the USPS.

Chin up mail folks, My $50.00 gift certificate will be waiting for ya this Dec. 24th..as usual.

KevinD
10-31-2011, 05:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eLcGkopjg

KevinD
10-31-2011, 05:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfVxY_3_7Zs

Warrenlm
10-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Is prefunding an accounting entry like the social security trust fund, the CSRS balance, etc? It's just a credit with the Treasury but already spent on bridges and education and defense and therefore another IOU from the USG?