PDA

View Full Version : Moving money to safer fund

jaycee
08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Real financial illiterate here. I'm in L fund 2030 at about 90 percent, with the rest in g fund. Is it prudent to move all the money to G fund in the wake of the stock tumble? A couple of years ago I lost 25k with the downturn. Some say we're going to continue to lose, so does it make sense to "freeze" the money by moving to the safe fund until things improve?

Boghie
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Jaycee,

Only you can make that decision. And, your mix is probably closer to L2020 than L2030 because of the 'G Fund' holdings.

Personally, I can eat maybe another 10% - 15% without stumblin' and bumblin' into a bar and swilling my life away;).

Regardless, you have to ask why you are making the move after two huge dumps. The time to make the move was before them. After the dump it might be best to follow JTH's and BirchTree's model and increase your contributions. And, ONLY contribute to the equties funds.

But, it all depends on how you sleep at night. Right now you have about 30% already in the 'G Fund' and about 7% in the 'F Fund'. That leaves 63% at equities risk - with about 18% in the 'I Fund'. So a 10% dump will cost you about 6%. Can you handle that?