PDA

View Full Version : SF-50 and Getting Credit for Past Federal Employment

Atarrin
08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
A brief question hoping someone here has dealt with it and can offer suggestions.

Despite filling out a form in the process of being hired a while back, I never got credited for my past stint in federal employment. (It was a temporary position 6 years ago). I e-mailed HR about it, but they have not been responsive. What can I do to make sure I get credit? Do I need to request my sf-50 from the Federal Records Center? And what if they don't have it?

James48843
08-06-2011, 05:10 AM
A brief question hoping someone here has dealt with it and can offer suggestions.

Despite filling out a form in the process of being hired a while back, I never got credited for my past stint in federal employment. (It was a temporary position 6 years ago). I e-mailed HR about it, but they have not been responsive. What can I do to make sure I get credit? Do I need to request my sf-50 from the Federal Records Center? And what if they don't have it?

For temporary service, you will only get credit towards retirement if you make a deposit for it, and the temporary service was before 1989. Here is a link that explains: http://www.opm.gov/retire/pre/fers/servicecredit.asp You need to contact your HR person and start asking them about it. If they are already counting the time for purposes of leave accumulation, etc, that may be all that you'll see.

As for your other question- your old Sf-50, that's up to you to keep. If the old agency doesn't have a copy, have you looked in your OPM file yet?

Atarrin
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the reply, James.

So far I don't have credit for leave accrual purposes or for FERS. But I just got an e-mail that our HR just obtained a copy of the Sf-50. I'll hope I paid into FERS at that point. If not, at least I should start getting advanced AL faster.

Thanks again.