PDA

View Full Version : TSA worked vote to Unionize- under AFGE

James48843
06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Screeners For T.S.A. Select Union

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 23, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — Airport screeners around the county have chosen the nation’s largest federal employee union to represent them in collective bargaining talks with the government, federal officials announced Thursday. The American Federation of Government Employees won a close runoff vote to represent about 44,000 employees at the Transportation Security Administration (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/t/transportation_security_administration/index.html?inline=nyt-org) in the largest union election for federal workers in history.

Federal officials tallying the votes say A.F.G.E. received 8,903 votes, or 51 percent, while National Treasury Employees Union got 8,447 votes, or 49 percent. The runoff was held after neither union received more than 50 percent of votes in the first election earlier this year.

Congratulations to TSA workers on finally obtaining a voice in your workplace. Welcome to the Union family.

more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/business/24labor.html?_r=1

RealMoneyIssues
06-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Great, there goes our costs and rising taxes to pay for it... oh, and fondling too. Can't stop it now, you might get a grievance filed on you...

James48843
06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Great, there goes our costs and rising taxes to pay for it...

What makes you say that? They are not going to include wages in negotiations. Therefore, your statement is baseless. What do you think will make costs rise?

oh, and fondling too. Can't stop it now, you might get a grievance filed on you...

You think TSA employees enjoy fondling people? I would wager that this will allow a more sane approach in the future by allowing employees to have a say in their conditions of employment.

RealMoneyIssues
06-24-2011, 09:01 AM
What makes you say that? They are not going to include wages in negotiations. Therefore, your statement is baseless. What do you think will make costs rise?

My apologies. I haven't dealt with any unions that don't include wages in negotions. However, costs will go up as benefits will go up; unless those are not included either... then what is the point to the union (besides autopayments of union dues to be paid later in a political way)? OSHA takes care of the safety issues...

You think TSA employees enjoy fondling people? I would wager that this will allow a more sane approach in the future by allowing employees to have a say in their conditions of employment.

Actually, the moral ones, no... but it probably won't be the TSA employees' option to change TSA policy on national security matters.

Point is, I am just not a fan of public sector unions. period. sorry :( I am done as this should be over at BeltwayTalk.com and I am more interested in finding ways to improve my retirement options vice argue political points to someone that is so pro-union that they can't see the forest for the trees...

Oh wait. What did this have to do with TSP or the markets? Just curious...

Frixxxx
06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Oh wait. What did this have to do with TSP or the markets? Just curious...

EXACTLY!

Mapper
06-24-2011, 09:51 AM
You are questioning how employee wages and benefits are related to the market?

When people earn a living wage they can spend money, save money, invest in their future and not rely on government programs (currently underfunded programs borrowing from our retirement money).

It's actually very related to markets and TSP. When employees become people, as opposed to slave labor, you attain a viable middle class which benefits the market. Baby boomers might think back to their childhood. Sure, it might cost you more to fly somewhere...but hey you're participating in the economy.

RealMoneyIssues
06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
You are questioning how employee wages and benefits are related to the market?

When people earn a living wage they can spend money, save money, invest in their future and not rely on government programs (currently underfunded programs borrowing from our retirement money).

It's actually very related to markets and TSP. When employees become people, as opposed to slave labor, you attain a viable middle class which benefits the market. Baby boomers might think back to their childhood. Sure, it might cost you more to fly somewhere...but hey you're participating in the economy.

Holy Smoke... SERIOUSLY

Put a fork in me, I am done...

Mapper
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Hyperbole is a tool used to provoke general thought about low wage jobs and the way low wage employers frequently attempt "utilize resources" when those resources have no seat at the table. Am I speaking broadly?? Yes.

Atarrin
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Move along everyone. Nothing to see here. :laugh:

nasa1974
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Move along everyone. Nothing to see here. :laugh:

(http://youtu.be/CnjaUoR15dU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU&feature=player_detailpage

FAB1
06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
James can't help hiself that's a dyedin thewool for you

FAB1
06-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I remember reading that the TSA was formed there were "promises" that they would not be allowed to unionize.
??

Well we all know where that due money ends up - its a money laundering scheme and should be outlawed.

Sensei
06-25-2011, 02:36 AM
I know unions are a touchy subject, and I don't expect to sway any opinions. As much as I love you folks, you tend to be pretty set in your ideas. But here's my perspective on the matter:

I'm a teacher, and I believe I'm a pretty good teacher. I always strive to improve, try new things, engage all my students, etc. I won't bore you with job related details b/c that's not the point. I'm also somewhat intelligent - well, at least I'll say I always did well in school. I have a couple degrees in fields unrelated to what I teach, and I could be working in other careers. I could be making more money if that were the primary goal. However, I enjoy teaching and - yes, I'll admit - I enjoy the summers off. It's a job that enables me to enjoy myself while I'm at work, and leaves me with time to participate in the raising my own kids. It doesn't make me a rich man, but I get by. I get by because the union fights to keep my salary at a reasonable level. Now, here's my point. You take away the union, you lose me and most teachers like me. Society views teaching as women's work, and tends to compensate it as such. If you take away unions and the reasonable pay they've fought for, you will see the majority of men leave the profession. Sorry to sound sexist, but that's reality. You also lose the majority of highly intelligent, creative, enthusiastic teachers. People like us would go make more money in other fields if this job paid any less. You'd be turning education into what it was in the 1950s, when all teachers were spinsters, housewives, and nuns. Is that what you want for the future of America? Fine, get rid of unions.

wwwtractor
06-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Well said and I believe that scientists, engineers, teachers, librarians, and other such professions are under paid relative to their value to society.

Creativity and ingenuity are very hard to measure and sometimes come in spurts.

You know of course what an expert is: x = has been and spurt is a drip under pressure.