PDA

View Full Version : R.I.F.: 1,700 USPS Employees to be cut

James48843
06-18-2011, 07:14 AM
USPS notifies 1,700 employees their jobs will be cut

By Emily Long elong@govexec.com (elong@govexec.com)
June 17, 2011

The U.S. Postal Service (http://topics.govexec.com/U.S.+Postal+Service/) has alerted thousands of workers that they will be laid off or transferred by September.

The agency on May 27 mailed specific reduction-in-force notices to 2,429 administrative employees, including 1,751 whose jobs will be cut. The remaining 678 notices informed employees they have been transferred to equal or lower-ranked positions.

Employees whose jobs have been eliminated can apply for vacancies posted as part of the reduction-in-force process. Applicants can request a lateral transfer to a similar function, or move to a position that is up to three levels below their current pay grade, said USPS Chief Human Resources Officer and Executive Vice President Tony Vegliante.

More: http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=48035&dcn=todaysnews

law87
06-18-2011, 07:24 AM
its like a domino affect bad news after bad news....if this is a soft patch we're hitting, i cant imagine what a full out crash will be.

nasa1974
06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately it is the sign of the times. Between texting, the internet and paying bills online people are not using the post office any more.

konakathy
06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=nasa1974;319981]Unfortunately it is the sign of the times. Between texting, the internet and paying bills online people are not using the post office any more.Come over to Hawaii and deliver my route, and then tell me if you still think people aren't using the Post Office. First class mail volume may be down, but the rest of the services haven't decreased.

KevinD
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
The PO lost billions of pieces of mail when the banks quit sending out all those pre-approved credit card apps.

I'm beginning to see some of those coming through the mail again.

Handballer
06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Twice this year I have applied on line for my mail to held until I return from vacation. Both times when I returned my mailbox with stuffed (cramed) full. I'm leaving again next week and decided go down to the post office and fill out the application there. After my turn at the counter I turned in my card. I asked about the 2 times mail was not held and was told the mailperson must of received info in time. The agent suggested I continue to fill out the application there. I'll report when I return where I found my mail (hopefully).:worried:

This is no reflection on you fine postal folks on this site. I hope none of you on the list to be cut.

Unfortunately it is the sign of the times. Between texting, the internet and paying bills online people are not using the post office any more.

Handballer
06-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Do you deliver on the hillside? Or among the hotel resorts? I know mail boxes are few and far apart. Lots of customers have lock boxes in the post office.

[QUOTE=nasa1974;319981]Unfortunately it is the sign of the times. Between texting, the internet and paying bills online people are not using the post office any more.Come over to Hawaii and deliver my route, and then tell me if you still think people aren't using the Post Office. First class mail volume may be down, but the rest of the services haven't decreased.

Handballer
06-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I need some more preapproved credit cards. Then, I'll need to carry two wallets. :rolleyes:

Don't mine me. I'm just trying to buildup my post count. I gonna miss a couple days next week.

The PO lost billions of pieces of mail when the banks quit sending out all those pre-approved credit card apps.

I'm beginning to see some of those coming through the mail again.

konakathy
06-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Twice this year I have applied on line for my mail to held until I return from vacation. Both times when I returned my mailbox with stuffed (cramed) full. I'm leaving again next week and decided go down to the post office and fill out the application there. After my turn at the counter I turned in my card. I asked about the 2 times mail was not held and was told the mailperson must of received info in time. The agent suggested I continue to fill out the application there. I'll report when I return where I found my mail (hopefully).:worried:

This is no reflection on you fine postal folks on this site. I hope none of you on the list to be cut.

The personnel that are getting riffed are in management, the folks that DON'T even touch mail. It's about time that the USPS started from the top when downsizing. Half of these guys in management have nothing better to do, then walk around with clipboards and a pencil and try to look busy. AND...well, don't get me started. It's like any other HUGH corporation, too many chiefs, and not enough workers.
And as far as your vacation hold card, management is SUPPOSED to check the website for the station and print out all vacation holds for routes, then give them to the carriers. Just ask your carrier for some vacation hold cards and then leave it in your mailbox. It's always best to deal with the carrier directly. We're the ones that take care of it all anyway.

konakathy
06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Handballer;320002]Do you deliver on the hillside? Or among the hotel resorts? I know mail boxes are few and far apart. Lots of customers have lock boxes in the post office.

You used to live on Oahu, right? I live on the Big Island and deliver in Kailua Kona. My route is a mix of residential, business and condo's and they are located pretty close to town. Kona has full service delivery... North of Kona and some other towns around the Island are in more rural areas and do not get delivery service, even by rural carriers or contract carriers. But they do get PO Boxes for free at the smaller offices.

nnuut
06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I have many good friends that work for USPS, good Folks and they are hard workers and don't deserve to be singled out because of our government's inability to run a tight ship that can make a profit!

James48843
06-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I have many good friends that work for USPS, good Folks and they are hard workers and don't deserve to be singled out because of our government's inability to run a tight ship that can make a profit!

Inability to run a tight ship that can make a profit?

Ah.....the law prevents them from making a profit. They are not in the business of making a profit. They are in the business of delivering mail. In fact, they do that much much more efficiently than any private corporation could ever do.

Can FEDEX or UPS deliver a one-pound or less package anyone in the nation for just $4.95?
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

No? I didn't think so.

Can FEDEX or UPS deliver a one-ounce envelope anywhere in the nation for just .44 cents?

No? I didn't think so.

Unfortunately the Post Office can't change their rates except as provided by Congress. If they could, then they could raise that .44 cent stamp to .50 cents, and the Post Office would be turning a nice profit right now- far far more efficiently than any FEDEX or UPS can.

James48843
06-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Here you go Nnuut-

I can mail a USPS "Priority Mail" package to you from Michigan to Atlanta, for less than six bucks. $ 5.60 or so should do it.

It will get to you on Tuesday, or Wednesday at the latest.

-or-

I could send it to you through one of those PRIVATE CORPORATIONS you talk about- Let's look at FEDEX:

I could send you that same half-pound envelope via FEDEX- and have it delivered in about the same amount of time, and that private company would ONLY charge you.... $ 38.79 to $44.50 to do the same delivery.

FEDEX RATES:

Buster
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
R.I.F.: 1,700 UPS Employees to be cut (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9639-R.I.F.-1-700-UPS-Employees-to-be-cut)

And here I thought we were talking about United Parcel Service (UPS)

Show-me
06-19-2011, 07:31 AM
More idiots in positions of power sitting on their hands wait to get re-elected.

James48843
06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
And here I thought we were talking about United Parcel Service (UPS)\

My bad. I wrote that headline, and then couldn't fix it. It should read "R.I.F.: 1,700 USPS Employees to be cut".

Sorry.

FAB1
06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
The personnel that are getting riffed are in management, the folks that DON'T even touch mail. It's about time that the USPS started from the top when downsizing. Half of these guys in management have nothing better to do.

Amen. The Executive needs to do the same thing too many Chiefs per Indian - that and most managers cant find their ass with both hands, when a problem arises they say Throw money at it. Lol.

uspspaul
08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
It's been common knowledge around our district that the only 'craft' growing is the red badges (management). And it has been a running joke for years that anyone that can't hack it as a carrier goes into management. I've never worked in a more adversarial environment until I came to the USPS. My honest opinion is that it won't make it another ten years.

konakathy
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
It's been common knowledge around our district that the only 'craft' growing is the red badges (management). And it has been a running joke for years that anyone that can't hack it as a carrier goes into management. I've never worked in a more adversarial environment until I came to the USPS. My honest opinion is that it won't make it another ten years.

Don't get too discouraged with the PO. It's a good paycheck - especially now in this economy. I have my love/hate relationship working for USPS, depending on Mgmt. and co-workers, it can be a very ugly or happy environment. In '95, Dana Point, CA. I experienced the WORST on our workroom floor. A friend of mine went postal and my life changed. BUT, out of tragedy there is always good, and these last 17 years working for the PO have given me many great opportunities. Hang in there - hope you are a carrier. It's easier to stick on the iPod, tune everyone out and then hit the road. Good Luck

nasa1974
08-11-2011, 05:56 AM
My neighbor works for the PO and is nervous that his 15 years is not enough seniority to keep him from being moved to a new route in an unfriendly part of town.

KevinD
08-11-2011, 06:03 AM
I've lost several years of distributions from my TSP in the last couple of weeks. I may have to stay longer whether I want to or not.