05-30-2011, 08:01 AM
where's the old Main Page... I can't seem to find anything

SkyPilot
05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Never mind... found it...

nnuut
05-30-2011, 08:14 AM
where's the old Main Page... I can't seem to find anything
Ha! Kinda tricky but when finished it looks like an improvment to me! Now, where the heck am I? Adding attachments is a lot of fun! :laugh: 11391

Boghie
05-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Tom,

I really like the functionality - but you are right, it will require a bit of design. Very, very busy!!!

I think - actually, I hope - we don't need the Barney help that is currently on the Forums entry page. Makes it hard to fund the forum, eh...:p

Also, I think FAB will like the presentation of the 'Social Groups'. I never found them in the original, but they are evident in this one. He just bailed on his 'Happy Hour' group. I sure could use a toddy today - and, it is only 8am:o

Buster
05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't like this format at all...Just being honest..

Sorry..but I think it sucks!

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't like this format at all...Just being honest..

Sorry..but I think it sucks!
Try using the default style, which is like beltway's layout. Go the bottom of the page at the left to change it.

I can try different styles. This one happened to be the closest to TSP Talk's colors and I actually like it. Very clean looking. Of course there are things that would and will change, but compared to some of the other "skins" I've seen, I liked it.

The default will need some updates too. It will take me a few days. Lots to do.

Buster
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Try using the default style, which is like beltway's layout. Go the bottom of the page at the left to change it.

I can try different styles. This one happened to be the closest to TSP Talk's colors and I actually like it. Very clean looking. Of course there are things that would and will change, but compared to some of the other "skins" I've seen, I liked it.

The default will need some updates too. It will take me a few days. Lots to do.Tom..I'm not apposed to change..but Some things may just need getting use to here..I'll work with it to see if my mind will settle in with the new format...One thing I don't like is opening on the home page and not the forums..Am I doing some wrong?

Also; Ther is NO OPTION to change the default settings as you said, and you can't post Youtube videos by paisting in the url link..you have to use the Video icon button again....On the main forum page, 1/3 of the page is jammed up with crap on the right side..

Me no like..http://www.hummeraddicts.com/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/sad3.gif

hessian
05-30-2011, 11:11 AM

The default will need some updates too. It will take me a few days. Lots to do.

Tom,
I do not see/cannot find, how to change to the old style at the bottom of page , per above.
Please ensure something is there!

Personally, I don't like the new design, don't understand it. (At first, I pressed the Home Page, that OK, but then to the Message Board & I thought - OH NO, i GOT A VIRUS??? TROJAN-redirect?? OR WHAT??) :confused:
My vote, have the old style back. yuk

Buster
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Youtube issue fixed

Crap on right side fixed with arrows..

looking better:cool:

I hate the smilies though:sick:

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Tom..I'm not apposed to change..but Some things may just need getting use to here..I'll work with it to see if my mind will settle in with the new format...One thing I don't like is opening on the home page and not the forums..Am I doing some wrong?

Also; Ther is NO OPTION to change the default settings as you said, and you can't post Youtube videos by paisting in the url link..you have to use the Video icon button again....On the main forum page, 1/3 of the page is jammed up with crap on the right side..

Me no like..http://www.hummeraddicts.com/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/sad3.gif
I made an adjustment so I hope you have the ability to go to the default style now (bottom left corner of page).

I think I fixed the YouTube embedded problem too - had to install a modification.

I will also work on bypassing the "Home" page and have the link come right to the forum - at least until I figure out a good use for it. I may eventually use that page as the www.tsptalk.com (http://www.tsptalk.com) home page, but that will be another time, if at all.

Keep posting the problems and I will work on them. Thanks!

Tom,
I do not see/cannot find, how to change to the old style at the bottom of page , per above.
Please ensure something is there!

Personally, I don't like the new design, don't understand it. (At first, I pressed the Home Page, that OK, but then to the Message Board & I thought - OH NO, i GOT A VIRUS??? TROJAN-redirect?? OR WHAT??) :confused:
My vote, have the old style back. yuk
Unfortunately, the default style is not the "old" format, just a different format - like Beltway Talk.

Like I told Buster, I will fix that "Home Page" link.

I didn't expect everyone to like it. I knew many wouldn't like any change. But the new software will allow us much more functionality when it comes to new features like mobile access, blogging, social networking, etc. Nothing is being developed for the old software anymore and we would be left behind.

By the way, it took us a year to finally upgrade from the 3rd version of VB to this version 4. They are now working on VB 5 so we're starting to catch up.

Now, give me a few minutes while I add another KB of RAM to my Commodore 64. :laugh:
Again, please post any issues here and I will tackle them as soon as possible.

Thanks!!

Buster
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
To fix the log on, so it comes to the MB page first.

Get to the main MB page, save to your favorites and then use that to come aboard...

JTH
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Tom, I'd like the blog pictures to fully display, but the right column appears to prevent this from happening.

grandma
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Tom, I'd like the blog pictures to fully display, but the right column appears to prevent this from happening.
also the right column , both comments and blog subjects, are crowded upward, resulting in the bottom icon left blank...

JTH
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM

also the right column , both comments and blog subjects, are crowded upward, resulting in the bottom icon left blank...

Tom, can I get a trouble ticket number?

Also, I'd love to see the blogs added back to the top 12 stats section.

grandma
05-30-2011, 12:25 PM

...whatever I posted about the forum & home pages is now fixed, so I've changed the whole post !
Tom, you are a brave fellow - !!! Thank you...
I'll try to wait a day before I mention anything I can't figure out... :cool:

nnuut
05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Yep, right hand side of Blog page is jammed together unreadable "Recent Entries" and Recent Comments".
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/blog.php

nnuut
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Another thing:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?81-The-Lounge

nnuut
05-30-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/search.php?searchid=223
11401 (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/search.php?searchid=223)

PessOptimist
05-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Ah the joys of owning/administering a web site.11398

Think I'll look around a bit as changes are made, then join the mob.11400

Not sure why one gif displays and one shows a link when previewing.

nnuut
05-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Ah the joys of owning/administering a web site.11398

Think I'll look around a bit as changes are made, then join the mob.11400

I can't see why that happened myself?

poolman
05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I made an adjustment so I hope you have the ability to go to the default style now (bottom left corner of page).

I think I fixed the YouTube embedded problem too - had to install a modification.

I will also work on bypassing the "Home" page and have the link come right to the forum - at least until I figure out a good use for it. I may eventually use that page as the www.tsptalk.com (http://www.tsptalk.com) home page, but that will be another time, if at all.

Keep posting the problems and I will work on them. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the default style is not the "old" format, just a different format - like Beltway Talk.

Like I told Buster, I will fix that "Home Page" link.

I didn't expect everyone to like it. I knew many wouldn't like any change. But the new software will allow us much more functionality when it comes to new features like mobile access, blogging, social networking, etc. Nothing is being developed for the old software anymore and we would be left behind.

By the way, it took us a year to finally upgrade from the 3rd version of VB to this version 4. They are now working on VB 5 so we're starting to catch up.

Now, give me a few minutes while I add another KB of RAM to my Commodore 64. :laugh:
Again, please post any issues here and I will tackle them as soon as possible.

Thanks!!

Your doing great Tom!
At first I didn't like the changes but I didn't even give it a minutes thought.
After playing around with it for a couple of hours, I already am liking this format better.

Tackle the problems 1 Tree at a time. Don't think of the whole forest. Hahahahaaaa

I've got Windows XP operating system on most of my computers. I like the operating system but I know I am getting further and further behind with the times.

I guess one day I will have to update all computers with Windows 7 ? Is that the most current operating system ?

RealMoneyIssues
05-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Glad all my previous links still work (albiet translated). Good Job so far !!

nnuut
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
vB4 Default Style has fewer problems than vB4 Blue Style, Default Style is the one for me for me!

nasa1974
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
When I click on "New Reply" it takes me down to "Quick Reply" is that what it is supposed to do? Also would it be possible to increase the font size by just one or two? I have to wear my glasses to read all this now. No old man jokes OK.

burrocrat
05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I like the new interface, especially that you still have 'recent posts' available in the stats section at the top of the main page. Change is good.

Ony problem I'm having with it is I can't find the 'Midas' button in the user control panel settings in the new software. Once I clicked that in the old version all my posts instantly became these witty nuggets of pure golden wisdom, this could get tough around here without that feature.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Also, I'd love to see the blogs added back to the top 12 stats section.
I was wondering if that would be overkill, or redundant since they are on the top of the right sidebar.

I can't take the "Latest Posts"out of that stats heading, so I put them below the Blog Entries in the sidebar.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Got it. I just had to make an adjustment to the default image setting.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I see that. I will try to get that fixed. Thanks

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll try to wait a day before I mention anything I can't figure out... :cool:
I'm just fixing them as they get reported, so I appreciate the heads up!

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I just had to make some adjustments to the image settings.

Thanks!

Keep'em com'in!

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I guess one day I will have to update all computers with Windows 7 ? Is that the most current operating system ?
I think so. hard to keep up. I'm still using Vista on my home PC, and Windows 7 on my laptop.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/search.php?searchid=223
11401 (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/search.php?searchid=223)
Thanks nnuut! I reported all of this misalignments to the designer of this "skin". Hopefully I'll get a quick reply.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Ony problem I'm having with it is I can't find the 'Midas' button in the user control panel settings in the new software. Once I clicked that in the old version all my posts instantly became these witty nuggets of pure golden wisdom, this could get tough around here without that feature.
I think that is the 5.0 version.

PessOptimist
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Posted a video in music videos. Put the link between youtube. The video appeared twice. Twice may not be good for this video to some people.

Figured it out. Just copy the link, don't use the youtube thingy. Has it always been like this?

FAB1
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
OK Its different. Will it work with my stupidphone, that is the question.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
OK Its different. Will it work with my stupidphone, that is the question.
Soon. I haven't bought / loaded that feature yet. As soon as we clear some of the outstanding issues.

grandma
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
When I first logged in this afternoon, the fancy Home page showed up. When I went back to `Really Read' it I could only get the original home page. In fact, it seems that the only New page I have is the Forums. Did you do something with it that I can't find it?

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 08:43 PM
When I first logged in this afternoon, the fancy Home page showed up. When I went back to `Really Read' it I could only get the original home page. In fact, it seems that the only New page I have is the Forums. Did you do something with it that I can't find it?
I did do something with it, but it may resurface another day once I work on it. Right now it contains info unrelated to our site.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Posted a video in music videos. Put the link between youtube. The video appeared twice. Twice may not be good for this video to some people.

Figured it out. Just copy the link, don't use the youtube thingy. Has it always been like this?
There has always been 2 ways to do it but it is a little different with this version.

Buster
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Okie-dokie..everything is starting to act normal again (much like the beltway)..

I have one more request;

I know there are others here with bad eyesight..is it possible Tom to bump up the font size a point or two?..thanks.

KevinD
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
If there is a new post in a thread a clickable icon appears next to that thread that is supposed to take you to the new post...but in reality it takes you to the top of last page where the new post is down below.

KevinD
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
This icon in the legend on the main forum index isn't working. I didn't check the others...

When I click on the account talk forum there are new posts in there but nothing to indicate that on the index page.

Thanks again for a great site, Tom!

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
I have noticed that the new "skin' has a pretty small font. I will work on that this week. It's a lot of changes because every area on the forum has its own font size.

For now, try holding down the ctrl-key and hit the + sign on your number pad. It will increase the size of everything on the page.

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 10:10 PM
If there is a new post in a thread a clickable icon appears next to that thread that is supposed to take you to the new post...but in reality it takes you to the top of last page where the new post is down below.
The one on the left on the index page in front of the forums? Are you sure it is supposed to take us to the latest thread. I thought it was an info only link to let you know there are new unread posts? I'll have to look into it. I noticed the default style also is not clickable (except to make the threads read).

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
This icon in the legend on the main forum index isn't working. I didn't check the others...

When I click on the account talk forum there are new posts in there but nothing to indicate that on the index page.

I will look into that. Thanks.

Sensei
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Are the "Karma" buttons working for anyone? I tried to throw a little JTH's way for his new blog, but nothing happened.

RealMoneyIssues
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Are the "Karma" buttons working for anyone? I tried to throw a little JTH's way for his new blog, but nothing happened.

let me try...

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 11:00 PM
It works. I just gave you some rep.

Obviously, JTH didn't deserve any. :laugh:

JTH
05-30-2011, 11:15 PM
It works. I just gave you some rep.

Obviously, JTH didn't deserve any. :laugh:

Hey now, I've been a good boy considering all the stress you've put me under today...:rolleyes:

tsptalk
05-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey now, I've been a good boy considering all the stress you've put me under today...:rolleyes:
OK. +1 :)

alevin
05-31-2011, 12:22 AM
I have noticed that the new "skin' has a pretty small font. I will work on that this week. It's a lot of changes because every area on the forum has its own font size.

For now, try holding down the ctrl-key and hit the + sign on your number pad. It will increase the size of everything on the page.

Nice! I needed wee-bit bigger font size myself. Learned something new about my keyboard tonight too.

KevinD
05-31-2011, 05:09 AM

I'm completely out in left field with this one. It's there...it's just so small I wasn't seeing it.

KevinD
05-31-2011, 05:17 AM
The one on the left on the index page in front of the forums? Are you sure it is supposed to take us to the latest thread. I thought it was an info only link to let you know there are new unread posts? I'll have to look into it. I noticed the default style also is not clickable (except to make the threads read).

No. The one to the left of any thread with new posts in it. If you hover over it it says "go to first new post". If you click it it acts like "go to last page"

nasa1974
05-31-2011, 06:18 AM
Anybody else having this problem? If I click on "quote" or "new reply" it takes me to the "quick reply" area.

nasa1974
05-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Anybody else having this problem? If I click on "quote" or "new reply" it takes me to the "quick reply" area.

Not sure if the is the right process but if I click on the "go advance" button it pops up all the normal reply stuff (icons, font size, font style, etc.).:) An extra step but now I have options.

Tom, thanks for everything. Keep up the good work.

nasa1974
05-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Tom,

At the bottom of the Forum page under the banner "What's Going On" where the member names appear, the names extend beyond the border toward the right hand side.

Also under the "TSP Talk Forums Statistics" banner the old version showed most posts by a member (for the day) and the new version does not.

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Nice! I needed wee-bit bigger font size myself. Learned something new about my keyboard tonight too.
You might need to use the default design until I figure that one out.

More: http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9592-Change-Design-for-Larger-Font

sdouglas3
05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
You might need to use the default design until I figure that one out.

More: http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9592-Change-Design-for-Larger-Font

Will there be a link for Yahoo Finance at the bottom of the page?

alevin
05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Minor detail, but it appears we lose some of our current "friends" if we stick to the default beltway style. any way to fix that?

Buster
05-31-2011, 09:18 AM

it worked..but it enlarges the font on all pages and all sites on the internet..it affects the whole computer..Got to remember to go Control; (-) to return the computer to normal..

Intrepid_Timer
05-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I've noticed that the index graphs aren't at the bottom of all the threads anymore. Any way to get those back?

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Will there be a link for Yahoo Finance at the bottom of the page?

I've noticed that the index graphs aren't at the bottom of all the threads anymore. Any way to get those back?
It's on the list. :)

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 10:03 AM
I thought the quote always took us to the quick reply, but I see what you mean about the new reply. I don't get any response when I click on "new reply". I'll put it on the list. Thanks.

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
No. The one to the left of any thread with new posts in it. If you hover over it it says "go to first new post". If you click it it acts like "go to last page"

I see. I never noticed that in the old software, but I see what you mean. Did that work on the old version (go to first new post?)

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Tom,

At the bottom of the Forum page under the banner "What's Going On" where the member names appear, the names extend beyond the border toward the right hand side.
hmm, I'm not seeing that, but it could be happening depending on the number of members online. I'll keep an eye on it.

Also under the "TSP Talk Forums Statistics" banner the old version showed most posts by a member (for the day) and the new version does not.
That is a separate "modification" program that I will install again.

Intrepid_Timer
05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Tom,

It would be nice to have a direct link to the premium services page on top of the forum like before also, instead of having to go to the home page to find it.

KevinD
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
I see. I never noticed that in the old software, but I see what you mean. Did that work on the old version (go to first new post?)

Yes.

JTH
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
The Search feature doesn't appear to be as effective. I like to do a search for my name within post to make sure I can answer questions if needed. I'm not getting any results.

Would like for the blogs to show the number of people who have opened/read it. I use this as a suck-o-meter to determine if my blogs are sucking more than usual.

I miss the old upload attachements box. The new one is more cluttered and somewhat more confusing since I have like a billion pictures.

Missing link to the AT from teh Forum tab?

My preference is to have the collumns on the left side, as was the old site.

All in all I'd say it's been a faily smooth transition, I have my opinions but will wait for the final product.

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Tom,

It would be nice to have a direct link to the premium services page on top of the forum like before also, instead of having to go to the home page to find it.
Absolutely. Right now I am trying to get the new software working and looking clean. Then I will address all of my "hacks" like the TSP Talk menu options, the charts at the bottom, etc.

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
The small font issue has been fixed, and most of the misaligned stuff has been fixed.

The one outstanding problem I see was in the sidebar in the forum so I disabled that for now until I can figure it out. Being that we have the stats on top of the forum, the sidebar may ot be needed anyway, except I like that it gave a small piece of the posts and blogs.

FAB1
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Okay now Ive found a really outstanding problem.

:worried::blink::nuts::sick:

Where is Mr Green??????????????????

Big green smiley face, with teeth (since its gone now)

FAB1
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I also liked to scroll down (memory lane) MB pages and see the C,S,I,F daily charts.

Is that coming back, or no?

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
I also liked to scroll down (memory lane) MB pages and see the C,S,I,F daily charts.

Is that coming back, or no?
Here I is.... :D

JTH
05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
I miss the old upload attachements box. The new one is more cluttered and somewhat more confusing since I have like a billion pictures.
Found the solution in the settings section, Settings-My Account-General Settings-Select Enhanced Attachment Uploading off

Tom, love the Top 12 stats feature where i can change it to the top 30. Is it possible for me to make the Top 30 my default? It doesn't seem to accept the change permanently.

Handballer
05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
That tip helps me too. Thanks.

tsptalk
05-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Tom, love the Top 12 stats feature where i can change it to the top 30. Is it possible for me to make the Top 30 my default? It doesn't seem to accept the change permanently.
I don't see how it can be set permanently on the member's page.

poolman
06-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi Tom,

I'm probably going to run into this problem quite abit. Expecially if I'm quoting anybody that uses images in there post.
What I did tonight since I was quoting a couple of people is delete their images in order to post my videos.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.

To Tom (Administrator) if you look at this. I just had to cut 2 videos out of this post because I got an error that you are only allowed 8 Images and/or Videos in 1 Post. I think this should be bumped to 12 to 15.

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
12 to 15? Holy cow! I think it would be best to split them up in multiple posts. The default # of images was originally 3 I believe, and I had already increased it to 8. Bandwidth and server performance will become an issue at some point, particularly for those who may still use dial up.

I have no way to test this, but I'd be curious how long a page like this: http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?4077-Poolman-s-Account-Talk/page294 takes to load for a slower internet connection or mobile device.

Anyone still using dial up? :)

FAB1
06-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Here I is.... :D

:D:D:D

Just like old times. Kudos!

crws
06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
12 to 15? Holy cow! I think it would be best to split them up in multiple posts. The default # of images was originally 3 I believe, and I had already increased it to 8. Bandwidth and server performance will become an issue at some point, particularly for those who may still use dial up.

I have no way to test this, but I'd be curious how long a page like this: http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?4077-Poolman-s-Account-Talk/page294 takes to load for a slower internet connection or mobile device.

Tom,
This release resizes images I noticed, but will not embed a link to the full size image. Is that something you manage?

crws
06-01-2011, 07:47 AM
yesterday or late Monday there was a sidebar on the right that showed "new" posts without being a full page as a separate action.
Also, will the quicklink banner that sat above the "latest post" section of the forum home page return, or is it now way off to the left?

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
yesterday or late Monday there was a sidebar on the right that showed "new" posts without being a full page as a separate action.
Also, will the quicklink banner that sat above the "latest post" section of the forum home page return, or is it now way off to the left?
The sidebar was taken down because the text and images in it was misaligned. When I added the code to fix it, it screwed up a lot of other things so I took out the fix and disabled the sidebar - but I have someone looking into it. I figured the stats up top do about the same thing, but I hope to get it fixed because I thought it was cool with it posting a preview of the posts and blogs.

I do plan to install a new menu bar that goes to other areas of TSP Talk.

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Tom,
This release resizes images I noticed, but will not embed a link to the full size image. Is that something you manage?
I'll have to look into that. Thanks

poolman
06-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Actually Videos did not count in the Total before this new version. :cool:
Use to be a max of 5 images.

I'll work with it however you set it up. Just a suggestion. It wouldn't make a difference for dial up users.
We have been through this before.

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Actually Videos did not count in the Total before this new version. :cool:

Oh, I didn't know that. I will check.

nnuut
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh, I didn't know that. I will check.
That is TRUE, they didn't count!

KevinD
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Sure missing that go to first new post button about now... :(

KevinD
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Also...after I make a post I'm taken to the top of the page that my new post is in. It used to take me directly to the new post without having to scroll down...

KevinD
06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Also...after I make a post I'm taken to the top of the page that my new post is in. It used to take me directly to the new post without having to scroll down...

Well it did that on post #87. Now on post #88 I was taken directly to the new post. Go figure...

Silverbird
06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Unfortuately we just had a big series of Windoze and other Microsoft updates over the 3 day weekend, so I can't tell exactly where the problems are coming from.

I'm having serious problems, I can see everyone's reputation with blank links, can't see any buttons, can't see any pictures or charts. I think our upgrade and this upgrade are doing the masochism tango.

RealMoneyIssues
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Where's the referral link to send to others to join up? It used to be on our profile page.

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Would like for the blogs to show the number of people who have opened/read it. I use this as a suck-o-meter to determine if my blogs are sucking more than usual.
I see they changed the location of the views. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it is right under the blog title, next to the time posted...

by tsptalk on Yesterday at 09:59 PM (151 Views)

JTH
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Unfortuately we just had a big series of Windoze and other Microsoft updates over the 3 day weekend, so I can't tell exactly where the problems are coming from.

I'm having serious problems, I can see everyone's reputation with blank links, can't see any buttons, can't see any pictures or charts. I think our upgrade and this upgrade are doing the masochism tango.

have you checked your Thread display setttings under the general settings under the settings link? If you recieved the recent IE upgrade, you may want to uninstall it or try Firefox.

I see they changed the location of the views. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it is right under the blog title, next to the time posted...

Thanks Tom, I imagine you've been having fun, I'm sorry if we've been hard on you, hopefully you get my warped sense of humor. :D

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Where's the referral link to send to others to join up? It used to be on our profile page.
Got it. Check your UserCP (settings page) http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/usercp.php

Thansk

RealMoneyIssues
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Got it. Check your UserCP (settings page) http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/usercp.php

Thansk

Ok, I must have been blind. Sorry :(

tsptalk
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok, I must have been blind. Sorry :(
Not blind, I had to reinstall it. :D

KevinD
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/349563-vb4.0.3-View-First-Unread-post-in-a-thread-question.?highlight=unread

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/353239-Jump-to-first-unread-post-New-posts?highlight=unread

Show-me
06-02-2011, 07:54 AM
May or may not be related but I am getting a pop up from my browser asking "Only secure content is displayed". It is getting old hitting "Show all content" button all the time. What can I do to fix this?

nasa1974
06-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Hey Tom, When I am in the "Member's Account Talk" section and I put the cursor on the stars it doesn't show anything, in the past it used to show the member's rating.

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
May or may not be related but I am getting a pop up from my browser asking "Only secure content is displayed". It is getting old hitting "Show all content" button all the time. What can I do to fix this?
Does your URL have an https in it instead of just http?

Also, check your securty settings / trusted sites / in internet options.

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/349563-vb4.0.3-View-First-Unread-post-in-a-thread-question.?highlight=unread

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/353239-Jump-to-first-unread-post-New-posts?highlight=unread
Thanks. I will look into this.

Bquat
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Your doing greeeat Tom.:)

If you get a chance, can you check into the part where it goes to the first unread post. I'm re-reading a lot. I don't know if this was mentioned yet.

Thanks Bill

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Hey Tom, When I am in the "Member's Account Talk" section and I put the cursor on the stars it doesn't show anything, in the past it used to show the member's rating.
When I "hover" over the stars I see the text of the 1st post. I see that's what in the original version and beltway talk's version. Is this what you mean or are you talking about the reputation rating under each member's name? That seems to be working for me.

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 11:28 AM

If you get a chance, can you check into the part where it goes to the first unread post. I'm re-reading a lot. I don't know if this was mentioned yet.

Thanks Bill
Hi Bill -
That's the issue KevinD has been reporting. I'm on the case. :)

nasa1974
06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
When I "hover" over the stars I see the text of the 1st post. I see that's what in the original version and beltway talk's version. Is this what you mean or are you talking about the reputation rating under each member's name? That seems to be working for me.

If I remember correctly the previous version used to show how many rated you and what your average was, "4 rate you at 4.5". This would relate to the number of stars that are colored.

RealMoneyIssues
06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Could we please have access to add tables into our posts/messages in the advanced editor?

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Could we please have access to add tables into our posts/messages in the advanced editor?
Like html tables? I don't see that as an option in the software.

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
If I remember correctly the previous version used to show how many rated you and what your average was, "4 rate you at 4.5". This would relate to the number of stars that are colored.
That makes more sense, but for some reason that is not what is happening in any of the 4.0 forums we have. I wonder if it's a bug in the software. I will add it to the list.

RealMoneyIssues
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Like html tables? I don't see that as an option in the software.

Ok, thanks for looking. :)

KevinD
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks Bill

I found a work around until Tom gets it sorted out. Click the "go to first unread' blue thingy next to the thread you want to read and it takes you to the top of the last page with new posts. When you get there, there is another link to click for "first unread" that will take you to the newest post in that thread. HTH :)

Show-me
06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
No joy, I get a window prompt that says I need to use a https.

JTH
06-02-2011, 08:34 PM
No joy, I get a window prompt that says I need to use a https.

What browser & version are you using?

Show-me
06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
ie9

burrocrat
06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
ie9

Could you please be more succinct?

JTH
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
ie9

My guess is we have secure and unsecure content on the same page.

1st, I'd click no instead instead of yes or ok. Then close the browser and try it again.

If that doesn't work then go to Tools>internet options>security>custom level>display mixed content: Enable.

Let me know if it works

Frixxxx
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
My phone hates you Tom......It's not me really, but my phone takes forever to load! And then it is not viewer friendly!

tsptalk
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
My phone hates you Tom......It's not me really, but my phone takes forever to load! And then it is not viewer friendly!
Interesting, since one of my goals was to be more mobile accessible.

I just found out that I need an Apple computer to compile the new mobile App version of the software. I was one click away from buying it when I saw the warning.

Show-me
06-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Yea, my phone hate the new MB too.

Show-me
06-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Just figured out my security problem, needed to check a box prior to allowing tsptalk in as a trusted site.

Silverbird
06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
My problems seem to stem from the upgrade of our server, since now I'm getting it on other sites. So never mind my comments. :(

Intrepid_Timer
06-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Is there some way to get the site to go back to the last post after a reply like it use to instead of the top of the page? Do we need to do something on our end?

Actually, it only seems to happen when replying in the "advanced" mode...................

KevinD
06-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Is there some way to get the site to go back to the last post after a reply like it use to instead of the top of the page? Do we need to do something on our end?

Actually, it only seems to happen when replying in the "advanced" mode...................

Frixxxx
06-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Intrepid or KevinD,

When you go into settings and look @
Thread Display Options

What does
Thread Display Mode show???

alevin
06-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I thought I made a couple posts in quick reply mode, but they never showed up. just figured out the advanced button is where I'm accustomed to quick reply button being located. maybe I hit the advanced when I thought was hitting quick reply, maybe that's why the posts didn't show up. :o and no, I haven't been posting PUI, altho did have a 1/2 glass of wine last night. :toung:

Intrepid_Timer
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Intrepid or KevinD,

When you go into settings and look @
Thread Display Options

What does
Thread Display Mode show???

I just switched it from "oldest first" to "newest first". We'll see if that helps. Thanks! :)

Intrepid_Timer
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Yepper, that works. ;)

tsptalk
06-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Sorry folk. After 17 years, I finally had my entire house recarpeted. If you haven't ever done this, take my advice, don't do it all at once. What a hassle!

I did a little work on the laptop to get the weekly wrap up out yesterday, but it will take me a day or two to catch up on some of the other things going on - like the changes needed here for the new design. But I still have some work left to get the house put together again.

tsptalk
06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I thought I made a couple posts in quick reply mode, but they never showed up. just figured out the advanced button is where I'm accustomed to quick reply button being located. maybe I hit the advanced when I thought was hitting quick reply, maybe that's why the posts didn't show up. :o
I've seen some forum owners say their members are complaining about the location of the "new reply" above and on the left side of the Quick Reply box.

They write a post and instead of hitting "Post Quick Reply" below and on the right, they are hitting that "New Reply" button and all that does is move your curser into the Quick Reply box, clearing whatever was in there. That may be what was happening to you, so it wasn't the wine. :)

KevinD
06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Oldest first.

I was taught to read from top to bottom and left to right. :toung:

Intrepid_Timer
06-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Oldest first.

I was taught to read from top to bottom and left to right. :toung:

So was I, but I don't read the ending of the book first...........:laugh:

KevinD
06-05-2011, 06:34 PM
This new setup is beginning to grow on me. I think I'm beginning to get used to it.

tsptalk
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
This new setup is beginning to grow on me. I think I'm beginning to get used to it.
Cool! At some point we'll take advantage of the new features, once I understand and install them. :)

JTH
06-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Cool! At some point we'll take advantage of the new features, once I understand and install them. :)

Thanks Tom. I have a list of minor things, but figure it's better to wait till all the important stuff is done, please do let me know when you get to that point.

Sensei
06-08-2011, 08:53 AM

By any chance, in the new features, might there be a way to click on a member's name in any of the threads and have it take you to their allocation in the tracker? Like, let's say I'm reading JTH's comments in his thread and I'm curious what his current position is. Right now, I'd have to navigate away from his thread, open the tracker and search for his name (of course, he's at the freakin' top!).:notrust::D

tsptalk
06-08-2011, 02:34 PM
By any chance, in the new features, might there be a way to click on a member's name in any of the threads and have it take you to their allocation in the tracker? Like, let's say I'm reading JTH's comments in his thread and I'm curious what his current position is. Right now, I'd have to navigate away from his thread, open the tracker and search for his name (of course, he's at the freakin' top!).:notrust::D
No. The software is a generic program used by hundreds, if not thousands of forums, so t doesn't know about our AutoTracker.

People may want to post a lint to thei AT profile in their signature. That might help.

I was alos thinking of doing the opposite - that is link the AT account to a member's account talk thread. The problem is the two pages use different databases so it's a little more complicated. One day, perhaps.

KevinD
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Depending on the browser you're using (I'm using IE :rolleyes:) you can just open a new tab and navigate to the tracker there...in the new tab. That way you don't have to leave the message board and then try to find your way back to where you were. For that matter you can open a whole new browser window and do the same thing. :)

RealMoneyIssues
06-08-2011, 08:36 PM
open a new tab and navigate to the tracker there...in the new tab
ctrl-k

for that matter you can open a whole new browser window and do the same thing
ctrl-n

Sensei
06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I was alos thinking of doing the opposite - that is link the AT account to a member's account talk thread. The problem is the two pages use different databases so it's a little more complicated. One day, perhaps.

Opposite would be sweet too. I know you can have two tabs open and toggle between them. But come on, bro - that's pretty ghetto. I'm thinkin' of ways to add sex appeal.:cool::nuts:

RealMoneyIssues
06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
No. The software is a generic program used by hundreds, if not thousands of forums, so t doesn't know about our AutoTracker.

People may want to post a lint to thei AT profile in their signature. That might help.

I could do it... maybe :)

nnuut
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I specify a link in my signature to page 2 of the Oil Slick Stuff thread and it goes to page # 1, probably related to the problem of not going to the last post when a response is submitted?:suspicious:

RealMoneyIssues
06-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I specify a link in my signature to page 2 of the Oil Slick Stuff thread and it goes to page # 1, probably related to the problem of not going to the last post when a response is submitted?:suspicious:

Make your link:
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?2848-Oil-Slick-Stuff&p=43124#post43124

tsptalk
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Ask and you shall receive. It looks like the latest version of VB has a new editor and adding tables is one of the features.

I will upgrade sometime this week.

RealMoneyIssues
06-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I will upgrade sometime this week.

uh oh :nuts:

:D I hope this next upgrade will fix the other issues to make it easier on you!

Also, I was wondering if you could add a tab at the top to go to the TSP prices page (awaiting flames) instead of going to home tab, then clicking on the prices link. Is that page accessed a lot? if not, don't worry about it. I thought there was a tab for it before... maybe I am just getting senile :)

ArchAngel
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Tom,

Is the PM feature not working? I've sent three and no response. My "Sent" folder shows empty as well. What's up?

nnuut
06-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Make your link:
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?2848-Oil-Slick-Stuff&p=43124#post43124
STILL GOES TO PAGE #1? i GOT THE ADDRESS BY RIGHT CLOCKING THE POST #.

tsptalk
06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
It seems to be working for me. I received your PM. Did you get my reply?

Hey Tom,

Is the PM feature not working? I've sent three and no response. My "Sent" folder shows empty as well. What's up?

tsptalk
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
You can also check to see if you have PM's set to on or off in your setings page...

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/profile.php?do=editoptions

RealMoneyIssues
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
STILL GOES TO PAGE #1? i GOT THE ADDRESS BY RIGHT CLOCKING THE POST #.

Seems to work fine for me. Sorry :(

nnuut
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
That's OK if I use IE9 it goes to post#1, if I use Firefox it goes to post#2?

nnuut
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I turned off Compatibility Mode in IE9 and when I click the link it goes to the right post, #2. Isn't this Internet thing a HOOT!:blink:

ArchAngel
06-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah I got it, thanks. Guess that means just one thing...:confused:

nasa1974
06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Tom,

I know I saw the answer somewhere in here but I can't find it. When I click on spell check nothing happens. I know it worked a week or so ago. I even intentionally misspelled a word and nothing happened. Thanks

tsptalk
06-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Tom,

I know I saw the answer somewhere in here but I can't find it. When I click on spell check nothing happens. I know it worked a week or so ago. I even intentionally misspelled a word and nothing happened. Thanks
That seems to be a bug with the new software and IE9. You should be able to hit right click and then choose spell check, or Firefox has a great spell check where it automatically underlines the misspelled words like Word would do.

nasa1974
06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
That seems to be a bug with the new software and IE9. You should be able to hit right click and then choose spell check, or Firefox has a great spell check where it automatically underlines the misspelled words like Word would do.

Thanks Tom. I do remember reading that. Yeah, I have IE9. I might have to go to Firefox. My daughter talks about it all the time.

KevinD
06-18-2011, 05:59 AM
I use the spell check in Google toolbar with IE8.

Show-me
06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
That's OK if I use IE9 it goes to post#1, if I use Firefox it goes to post#2?

Me too.

Show-me
06-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Tom,

Me too, and my right click option magically disappeared on my Vista pc.

Show-me
06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Another annoyance is that when I submit a post it does not default to the last post in the thread, it goes to the top and I have to scroll down to my post. There are some very annoying bugs.

When I select the spell check button I geabsolutelyly nothing.

Sensei
06-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I use the spell check in Google toolbar with IE8.
I don't use spell check becauseI learned how to spell in school.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the opportunity to be a wise a$$!

(BTW, my smilies aren't working. Maybe that's payback for my smugness.)

law87
06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Tom,

something wrong with JTH latest blog.

JTH
06-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Tom,

something wrong with JTH latest blog.

Should be working now.

tsptalk
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
When I select the spell check button I geabsolutelyly nothing.
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9589-Report-Problems-New-Forum-Software-Design&p=319954#post319954

Another annoyance is that when I submit a post it does not default to the last post in the thread, it goes to the top and I have to scroll down to my post. There are some very annoying bugs.
Looks like another problem only happening with IE9. I got the same thing, but when I tried it in Firefox and it does move to the post just submitted.

FAB1
06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
FIREFOX -= NO Cursor in the text field, typing blind ....somethink isnt right here.

FAB1
06-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I also get this when I want to back out of a page: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Changes made in the editor will be lost.

Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page.I still dont have a cursor to know where I am typing.

tsptalk
06-19-2011, 04:31 PM
FIREFOX -= NO Cursor in the text field, typing blind ....somethink isnt right here.
This is posted using FireFox 4.0.1. What version did you use?

FAB1
06-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Its 3.6 xxxxx I wont upgrade yet. Too soon.

Sensei
06-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Am I the only one who sees a ton of people named "I forgot to log in" on the Tracker?

nasa1974
06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Am I the only one who sees a ton of people named "I forgot to log in" on the Tracker?

Yep. There is 141 of them. Give or take a couple.

FAB1
06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Okay I figure out my problem on the reply text box, you have to click the a/A box and get a cursor that way.

Now I wish I could see MORE new posts - is there a way to adjust that?

PessOptimist
06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I realize you are trying to make a living but I find the wall street window videos that keep taking over my computer annoying.

tsptalk
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I realize you are trying to make a living but I find the wall street window videos that keep taking over my computer annoying.

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. ??

PessOptimist
06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
It was a cookie I picked up somewhere and it was very annoying. Pop ups and ads. I'm not getting them this morning. I am guilty of posting while annoyed. (PWA?)

nasa1974
06-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Tom,

With this new software I notice pop up ads mostly at the top of the threads. I can live with that. Helps pay the bills. But why are the ads showing up inside our posts?

tsptalk
06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Tom,

With this new software I notice pop up ads mostly at the top of the threads. I can live with that. Helps pay the bills. But why are the ads showing up inside our posts?
Got it. I moved it in between posts.

Thanks!

Sensei
06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
On the "Forum" page, there is a box on the right hand side, toward the lower end of the screen, that shows recent highlights (if that's what you want to call them) of this site. At the top of that box, it is supposed to say "Hello Sensei" and show my most recent post. More often than not, though, it thinks I'm someone else. Right now, it seems to think I'm Buster. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

tsptalk
06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
This is some sophisticated software, so maybe you are Buster, and don't even know it. :laugh:

Thanks! I will take a look.

tsptalk
06-28-2011, 09:47 AM
On the "Forum" page, there is a box on the right hand side, toward the lower end of the screen, that shows recent highlights (if that's what you want to call them) of this site. At the top of that box, it is supposed to say "Hello Sensei" and show my most recent post. More often than not, though, it thinks I'm someone else. Right now, it seems to think I'm Buster. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Sensei - Are you logged in when you see another username in that "widget" in the sidebar?

Next time you see a name other than yours, please go to the very top right of the forum and see if it says, "Welcome, Sensei" on that line.

Let me know. Thanks!

RealMoneyIssues
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Mine does this too. I also have been buster, and law87 on occasion...

It's fine right now, but I am always logged in so I don't think that is the issue. I will post a picture next time it happens. I don't linger on the main page so I usually only notice it when I am looking for specific forums and not new posts/blogs.

Right now, I am Dutchy:

tsptalk
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Interesting. This was a "widget" I saw someone post as an example of how to add a widget to the sidebar. I thought it was cool so I used it, but obviously has issues. I looked at the code and I don't see a problem. But if it's not working, I don't think we need it. Thanks guys!

Sensei
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Sorry, I had to go to bed - big time difference over here.

Anyway, RMI showed exactly what I was talking about. I thought it was a cool feature when it worked right, because it helped me find my last post easily. If you find that it works down the road, it would be cool to see again.

:)

Buster
07-03-2011, 10:51 PM
In TWO words:

PAINFULLY SLOW!

tsptalk
07-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I assume it was a temporary issue? Seems OK now. I know they run the database backups sometime between 11 PM - 12:00. Hopefully it was nothing more than that.

KevinD
07-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Any news on the "go to first new post" button?

tsptalk
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Any news on the "go to first new post" button?
VB's solution was a bit too much for me. They basically said, turn off all your hacks, delete everything, start over, and see if it works. Too risky.

KevinD
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh well...

tsptalk
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Hopefully we will see this get fixed with the next update or upgrade.

Buster
07-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I assume it was a temporary issue? Seems OK now. I know they run the database backups sometime between 11 PM - 12:00. Hopefully it was nothing more than that.
Nope!..that ain't it at all..it takes on average about 15 to 20 seconds for any forum to load and forever to settle down before you can begin posting..this is ALL day long, anytime of the day..and no I will not switch to Firefox to make it better if that is the remedy.

tsptalk
07-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I have noticed periodic sluggishness, but right now it seems to be running fine. This page loaded quickly but I see theat there are no images or videos on thisparticular page and that may have something to do with it. I am speculating, but I know we allow alot more images and larger file sizes than many boards and I have bumped up most of the defaults.

I will continue to monitor, and I will run some database table optimizations to see if it helps at all.

nnuut
07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Running quickly for me this morning! IE9 Win 7!

Buster
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I have noticed periodic sluggishness, but right now it seems to be running fine. This page loaded quickly but I see theat there are no images or videos on thisparticular page and that may have something to do with it. I am speculating, but I know we allow alot more images and larger file sizes than many boards and I have bumped up most of the defaults.

I will continue to monitor, and I will run some database table optimizations to see if it helps at all.Thanks Tom..I didn't mean to sound irritable...just that it is frustrating...Still slower than hell even on this topic area and I have IE8, with DSL...Other forum MB sites I don't have this problem..FYI

Thanks again I know you're trying to smooth out the bumps..

Buster
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Took me 21 seconds to get to this thread to where I was able to begin Posting...This is stupid slow!

tsptalk
07-21-2011, 10:37 AM
It took me about 3. I'm not sure what to say. I've run table optimizations and I haven't had any problems. The 10:30 - 11:00 AM ET time period is the most congested but I'm not seeing any significant problems.

Has anyone has else experienced a problem recently?

tsptalk
07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
There's 400+ people online as I write this (which is high traffic for our board) and I was able to make 7 posts in the test area within a minute:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9744-test&p=323436

Buster, I know you said you are not having a problem in other forums but I'd be curious if you've deleted your temporary internet files lately? Maybe that will help?

Buster
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
There's 400+ people online as I write this (which is high traffic for our board) and I was able to make 7 posts in the test area within a minute:

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9744-test&p=323436

Buster, I know you said you are not having a problem in other forums but I'd be curious if you've deleted your temporary internet files lately? Maybe that will help?Once I have posted it takes about 10 seconds for the post to appear...

I will delete the Internet temp files and see if that helps..

Buster
07-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I think I know what part of the problem is for it being so damn slow to load every stinking time I click on a a forum or post..

I see at the bottom of the screen all this BS about Twitter and Facebook loading up on each page or post..can you disable that crap from my user profile?

Honestly..I much perferred the old forum ..at least it was light years faster than this so-called new and improved MB version, even the Beltwaytalk.com is 10 times faster...I always said..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tsptalk
07-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I think I know what part of the problem is for it being so damn slow to load every stinking time I click on a a forum or post..

I see at the bottom of the screen all this BS about Twitter and Facebook loading up on each page or post..can you disable that crap from my user profile?

Honestly..I much preferred the old forum ..at least it was light years faster than this so-called new and improved MB version, even the Beltwaytalk.com is 10 times faster...I always said..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They may be an issue, but I added those FB and twitter buttons last weekend so it was after you reported the original problem. Also, beltwaytalk never has more than a handful of members online vs. hundreds here.

Most of us here are old farts but the next batch of TSP Talkers will be the typical obsessed (is there a better word :)) Facebook and Twitter user, and I want to keep up. Facebook has 750 million active users. I'm sure you wouldn't want me to disable the youtube video hacks since you use them, but they are just as bad as far as using server resources.

I tell you what. If I remember, or if someone reminds me, I will disable those buttons on Monday morning and we'll see if there is a difference.

Buster
07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Tom..But never mind, I can struggle through, just do less posting..I'm sure everyone would like to hear that anyway..But I see your point about Facebook and Twitter and in your case revenue is MORE-The Merrier the Profit..so keep on doing what you think is best for you and your business..I can surely understand that!

Sensei
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I grumble (mostly just to myself, b/c no one in my home would want to hear it) every time FB, Yahoo, my email, whatever changes. But in the end, I get used to it after a day or two. I've gotten used to the changes in this site.

Just curious though. On my computers using Windows 7, it requires a couple clicks and a new window to access Tom's daily market comments, then additional clicks to get to the comments. I don't have that problem with Coolhand's or JTH's blogs though, and I don't have that problem when I use my old laptop running on XP. Wondering if there is a way to streamline the accessibility to Tom's blogs?

tsptalk
07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
The link is static for my commentary (www.tsptalk.com/comments.html (http://www.tsptalk.com/comments.html)) where it changes every day in the blog area. You can bookmark that link or the link should be in the horizontal menu near the top of every page. The only reason I post it as a blog entry the way I do, is because the blog software is set up to automatically send a link to facebook and twitter. I got to keep up with the Jones'. :D

The message board software is a lot more sophisticated then my html editing in that way, but editing my commentary is a lot easier for me in html rather than using the MB blog editor (which is actually a frustrating program.)

Hope that helps / explains why I do things a little weird sometimes. :)

I grumble (mostly just to myself, b/c no one in my home would want to hear it) every time FB, Yahoo, my email, whatever changes. But in the end, I get used to it after a day or two. I've gotten used to the changes in this site.

Just curious though. On my computers using Windows 7, it requires a couple clicks and a new window to access Tom's daily market comments, then additional clicks to get to the comments. I don't have that problem with Coolhand's or JTH's blogs though, and I don't have that problem when I use my old laptop running on XP. Wondering if there is a way to streamline the accessibility to Tom's blogs?

JTH
07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's a short list of stuff that's not broken but perhaps can be streamlined.

The Quick Reply box is too small making it hard to work with, doesn't show the Attachment Box, and always displays at the bottom of the thread ,making it difficult to reference stuff when you use the Display Thread Linear First feature. Would love for the Quick Reply box to be either an option you can disable, or for it to go away. Would also love to have the reply box displayed at the top of the page.

I agree with the previous user on your blog, when I click that link in the stats box that means I want to view your blog, not another link to your blog. I am glad you offered a comment section though I really enjoy that feature.

For the Auto Tracker section I have two issues. First, when I click a link such as "member's returns" once I go into that page the back button never works, it just reloads the page you just clicked on. Second, I like the Auto Tracker link on the Main Page, not the newer one. The display just looks better to me.

Here's a dandy one. If I see a member on the Auto Tracker and want to know who they are or what they post, there is no link to their profile. This usually means I have to go to the member's section and look for their name, sometimes that can be time consuming. It would be nice if you clicked on a name in the Auto Tracker, if the next page had a link to their profile.

tsptalk
07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback / suggestions. I don't have the influence with vbulletin to make the quick reply changes although I will try one setting that may help. It requires a click to do a quick reply. We'll see what kind of feedback we get on this. I use quick reply all the time so I will be surprised if this goes smoothly with everyone, but lets' see.

But I will look into the other three suggestions.

JTH
07-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback / suggestions. I don't have the influence with vbulletin to make the quick reply changes although I will try one setting that may help. It requires a click to do a quick reply. We'll see what kind of feedback we get on this. I use quick reply all the time so I will be surprised if this goes smoothly with everyone, but lets' see.

But I will look into the other three suggestions.

Thanks, I figured you're weren't busy enough and really needed more stuff to do. :)

tsptalk
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree with the previous user on your blog, when I click that link in the stats box that means I want to view your blog, not another link to your blog. I am glad you offered a comment section though I really enjoy that feature.
Now that there is a copy from Word function, I will try it out next week to see if it is easier to post my entire commentary in the blog area, instead of just a link.

Second, I like the Auto Tracker link on the Main Page, not the newer one. The display just looks better to me.
So you like this, http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp-tracker.php, instead of this, http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp_user_login.php - or the other way around?

Here's a dandy one. If I see a member on the Auto Tracker and want to know who they are or what they post, there is no link to their profile. This usually means I have to go to the member's section and look for their name, sometimes that can be time consuming. It would be nice if you clicked on a name in the Auto Tracker, if the next page had a link to their profile.

A link to their profile on the MB? I was thinking a link to their Account Talk thread would be good. I had that on my to do list for several months. Thanks for the push.

See how you like it...
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9759-How-to-Link-Your-AutoTracker-Account-to-Your-Account-Talk-Thread&p=323845
(I entered your Account Talk thread # for you as I used it as a test.)

JTH
07-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Now that there is a copy from Word function, I will try it out next week to see if it is easier to post my entire commentary in the blog area, instead of just a link.

So you like this, http://www.tsptalk.com/tracker/tsp-tracker.php, Yea I like this one better, but would like to know if others agree

A link to their profile on the MB? Yes, but either would be better than searching through the member list. I was thinking a link to their Account Talk thread would be good. I had that on my to do list for several months. Thanks for the push.

See how you like it...
http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?9759-How-to-Link-Your-AutoTracker-Account-to-Your-Account-Talk-Thread&p=323845
(I entered your Account Talk thread # for you as I used it as a test.)

Interesting, my account talk thread appears to already have been linked in. I appreciate all the effort, that part came from looking up all the new folks climbing the tracker. ")

JTH
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Per our previous discussion, thanks for the imnprovments, love them!

JTH
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Web site is loading slow over on my end, hard to tell if it's me of the website.

Buster
07-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Web site is loading slow over on my end, hard to tell if it's me of the website.Same here..as it's always been, ever since the new software was installed on this site..

RealMoneyIssues
07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I think it is because of all the new toys. As with any software, the more toys, the slower it goes (just as M$).

i.e. when you load a page, it has to connect to tsptalk.com, google.com, facebook.com, twitter.com, and of course the ad servers.

All of that slows it down from a technical standpoint. If you have a slow connection, it just exacerbates(sp) it...

JTH
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
It appears slower at work, and i sort of expect that with all the crap my pc has to go through just to get to your page. At home it has been slower than the old version, but not what I would call degraded. At home it loads fast enough but it is apparent the older version was "snappier." Perhaps all the additonal features that go to places other than this website are slowing down the loading process, I wouldn't know I'm just an end-user, not a techie. I never did like twitt nor facecrook, it is amazing how much of our privacy we give away freely...

Handballer
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Pop-up window says Windows can check online for a solution to the problem (but don't)

Problem details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 9.0.8112.16421
Application Timestamp: 4d76255d
Fault Module Name: igdumdx32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2302
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d558979
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00009754
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d00b
Additional Information 2: 3f907449ef9494ccf5a0201083c5b6ff
Additional Information 3: 2830
Additional Information 4: c01e3050af31266ad88b6db92f34cb23

Can anyone let me know how to get IE9 back. If so please reply here or send to my junk email boy.timmie@gmail.com.

Thanks

tsptalk
07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I think I will disable the facebook / twitter links and we'll see if there is any difference tomorrow. I see that JTH's original feedback on the speed was at 11:57 AM ET - right before the IFT deadline and that happens to be when the most users are online.

The other fetature that slows things are the stats at the top of the page, but I think we have all come to rely on them so I won't mess with that.

I still haven't experienced any significant problems, but I did see some minor slow downs near that noon deadline.

JTH
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
You did something, I've got my snap back!

nasa1974
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Honestly, I'm not seeing a problem or percieve it as a problem. Windows 7 & IE9. But with that said I think I have a problem with my video board and IE9. Things tend to slow down a little and get jerky once in awhile. To lazy to try and go back to IE8. The work computer is a little slow because of all the hoops and firewalls, you know them government sites. ;) So maybe I am use to being a little off the speed of light side. :D

Handballer
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Tom my problem is with IE9. TSPTalk is operating fine. I am using Google Crome on same computer. Thanks for input.

I think I will disable the facebook / twitter links and we'll see if there is any difference tomorrow. I see that JTH's original feedback on the speed was at 11:57 AM ET - right before the IFT deadline and that happens to be when the most users are online.

The other fetature that slows things are the stats at the top of the page, but I think we have all come to rely on them so I won't mess with that.

I still haven't experienced any significant problems, but I did see some minor slow downs near that noon deadline.

Handballer
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Nasa. My computer (laptop) is going on three years old and has its faults. When I have space I will buy a desk top computer from Costco (mainly because of their warranty. I may be one of the last people to buy one. On another note, I deleted a bunch of files the other day and one of them was file of my log-ons and pws.:mad:

Honestly, I'm not seeing a problem or percieve it as a problem. Windows 7 & IE9. But with that said I think I have a problem with my video board and IE9. Things tend to slow down a little and get jerky once in awhile. To lazy to try and go back to IE8. The work computer is a little slow because of all the hoops and firewalls, you know them government sites. ;) So maybe I am use to being a little off the speed of light side. :D

poolman
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Does the Spell Check work here ?

I am intentionalllly spelling intentionally wrong and when I hit spell check it does nothing ?

tsptalk
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Does the Spell Check work here ?

I am intentionalllly spelling intentionally wrong and when I hit spell check it does nothing ?It seems to work in Firefox. For IE, right click the mouse and choose "Check Spelling"

poolman
07-27-2011, 06:31 PM
It does not apppear to be working the way you say Tom..

I have IE8 I right click on the ABC icon and it comes up "spell check" but it will
not allow me to put the cursor on "spell check" before it dissappears everytime.

That is gonna stink if spell check does not work.. :(

tsptalk
07-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Right click while in the editor box (not on the ABC icon).

It does not apppear to be working the way you say Tom..

I have IE8 I right click on the ABC icon and it comes up "spell check" but it will
not allow me to put the cursor on "spell check" before it dissappears everytime.

That is gonna stink if spell check does not work.. :(

JTH
07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Aside from the ongoing Youtube saga in Poolman's thread the site does appear to be snappier, did anyone else notice a difference? I was tied up a bit around the noon deadline, so I didn't get to spin the wheels.

Buster
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Aside from the ongoing Youtube saga in Poolman's thread the site does appear to be snappier, did anyone else notice a difference? I was tied up a bit around the noon deadline, so I didn't get to spin the wheels.There seems be a marked improvement...tolerable now...

KevinD
07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Aside from the ongoing Youtube saga in Poolman's thread the site does appear to be snappier, did anyone else notice a difference? I was tied up a bit around the noon deadline, so I didn't get to spin the wheels.

I've got the answer to poolman's thread but he won't listen.

He should start a blog. Inside a blog post only the videos for that day will have to load.

Otherwise, yes. The site does seem faster.

poolman
07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I did not see this response from you last night tom.

I just right clicked while in the editor box (this Box).

I don't have a spell check option when I right click.

UPDATE,

I just downloaded IE Spell and now when I right click while in the editor box I have a check spelling option.
I'm Happy now. Sorry if I caused any problems. :)

nnuut
07-29-2011, 07:48 AM
The Board is rippin' today, the upgrade has helped a bunch good job Tom.

nasa1974
07-29-2011, 08:05 AM
upgrade is great, but I was in the middle of doing something last night and the next thing I know "come back later, sorry upgrading software". WHAT???:D:D

nnuut
07-29-2011, 10:31 AM
What a difference, I have only had to log in one time this morning. Before the upgrade I usually had to log in again just to make a post.

Well, it made me log in again on this one, but one time is much better!:D

Steel_Magnolia
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Love the speed and the new bells and whistles. Yay for the upgrade!

nnuut
08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I found a fix for the problem of having to sign-in multiple times when posting. This applies to IE9.
Go to:
Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History - Check Delete Browsing History on Exit. Select Settings, under Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages, Select Every Time I Start Internet Explorer.
That did it for me, so far!:D

nasa1974
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I found a fix for the problem of having to sign-in multiple times when posting. This applies to IE9.
Go to:
Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History - Check Delete Browsing History on Exit. Select Settings, under Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages, Select Every Time I Start Internet Explorer.
That did it for me, so far!:D

I might have to try it.

nnuut
08-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I might have to try it. Well, it's a little better but didn't solve the problem! It's vB and IE9, what a pain in the rump!:nuts:

tsptalk
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, it's a little better but didn't solve the problem! It's vB and IE9, what a pain in the rump!:nuts:
There must be some setting that causes it because I use IE9 and have not had the problem at all. I will see if someone has reported this issue with VB.

tsptalk
08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
One other person reported what looked like a similar problem and here is their solution / suggestion:

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog, vB CMS and Skimlinks if you have them.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Basically, start the forum from scratch. :suspicious:

So, my suggestion is to play with the cookie / cache settings (or use FireFox or Chrome :D)

Here are my IE9 Browsing settings in Advanced Internet Options:

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/080911a.gif

nnuut
08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
OK I reset mine to match yours, only added
'Show friendly HTTP error messages".
BUT I'm trying Compatability mode again, so here goes.

nnuut
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Worked that time, we will SEEEeeee? Thanks:D

nnuut
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
That worked so far, now I turned off Compatability modelet's see if it works now?

nnuut
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Still working good, you must have fixed it Tom, good deal so far!:D

JTH
08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
All this time and effort wasted, come to the dark side...

We have cookies... (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/)

JTH
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Tom, I've noticed some slow loading this week when going to the Forum link http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forum.php Not sure what's going on, like just a minute ago it damm near timed out. Did you notice we broke a new record this month with members online?

tsptalk
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Tom, I've noticed some slow loading this week when going to the Forum link http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/forum.php Not sure what's going on, like just a minute ago it damm near timed out. Did you notice we broke a new record this month with members online?
I did see that (new record). I guess market panic gets a few more folks interested in what is going on.

I didn't notice they slow down but I wasn't online for the last few hours. I'll monitor it. Thanks.