PDA

View Full Version : Hello TSP Talk

bmneveu
05-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Man I'm glad I found this place! I'm looking forward to keeping up with the community here for some time :)

A little bit about me.. I enlisted in the US Navy at 21. Now I'm 24, 6 months invested into my TSP and love being involved with it. Just started paying attention to the stock market and affecting issues about a year ago.

Maybe some of you vets can give me some insight on a few things. First, why do all government employees receive contribution matching benefits except military? Also, my allocation right now is 50/50 in C/S funds. Is that a pointless strategy considering the DJ and S&P seem to stay consistant with each other?

Thanks!

RealMoneyIssues
05-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Already said this, but again Welcome !!!

The fact that you are getting involved so early will make you wealthy later !!!

Birchtree
05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
You get full retirement benefits at age 41 - no one else outside of military does. That balances things out a little. Unfortunately it will take you longer to build a TSP base because the prices are so much higher now - but that's the hand you have been dealt. When the C fund was selling at $8 you couldn't give the C fund away to most employees. During the market sell off was a perfect time to accumulate shares but fear stood in the way for many. It's always darkest before the dawn. It was dark out there - real dark, And yet, we should have all bought more. Remember that going forward if history repeats - take opportunity for your future.

nnuut
05-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Welcome to TSPTalk bmneveu, sounds like you have a good start, just stick around and read read read, there's a lot to learn.
The newer retirement system is FERS, they can receive matching contributions.
The old government retirement system CSRS does not.
Best of luck
Norman

nasa1974
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
bmneveu, Welcome aboard. It seems like you have the right idea. Jump into the members section and start up your own thread that way more members will find you and help. Good luck.

bmneveu
05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks everyone!

People helping people make money.. Could this get any better? :D

It seems like 20%/yr comes with just a little research around here. I only wish I had more in my account now! lol

Frixxxx
05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

People helping people make money.. Could this get any better? :D

It seems like 20%/yr comes with just a little research around here. I only wish I had more in my account now! lol
It's not how you start, it's how you finish....

Set goals, budget and the money will roll in with knowledge and wisdom!

Welcome!:D