PDA

View Full Version : GOV Shutdown or not?

Buster
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Just to see the flavor of how people feel as GOV workers and Military...

Simple Yes or No..would you favor a GOV shutdown to settle the budget problems..?

Since this issue is all or nothing by Midnight 4-8-11, the poll will be closed by Saturday.

nnuut
04-07-2011, 03:16 PM
YES!

law87
04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
YES!

Not to be a smart Ass but why would you want that?

nnuut
04-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Why wouldn't you?
Buster asked for a simple Yes or No, please limit your posts to that.
Actually it would be an extremely long explanation. I've been through 2 of them it's not as bad as they make it out to be.

tom1tom1
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Definitely No!

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes :) :nuts:

JTH
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I voted NO, because I want my paycheck. If you voted yes does this mean you want all federal services shut down? It's easy to talk tough until you're faced with the reality of the situation. Should we stop paying retirees too?

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

MrBowl
04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I will break the rules and say I'm strongly "neutral"

I think a shutdown will occur, but they'll come to an agreement within a week. I think HR and payroll people will have lots of added work when we come back. I don't think they will settle any problems so the fighting over next year's budget will start right away. I think we will all get back pay. I know lots of essential govt workers and there will be little difference for them from normal times.

hessian
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
A theory (or perhaps call it a rant):
Why is the Administration so deadset against a shutdown? Why? Because, what would happen to Wall Street? - without the PPT, or POMO, or whatever you want to call that behind-the-scenes gov't group(s), that nudge the futures overnight, and in late days (when volume allows)? :blink:
Why else would such a fractional amount as 33 billion, even 100B be such a big deal, given the size of the U.S. debt?
Its not an about arguement whether to maintain pay for the Military, as "they" now are making it sound - they'll give our Country's best their due! - that's absurd.
But its rather about - let's not harm the "recovery" - oh no! Let's not harm the current market rally, the "recovering" Housing Market, Fannie/Freddie, and so on.. ...and on ...and on! All the rest is just smoke and obscurants - in a word ...:worried: :nuts:

Oh, I went thru the Clinton shutdown, and everyone will likely get paid retroactive, whether you worked or not, just like back then. So there's really only one big downside for the 33B (I suggest its the above).

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I voted NO, because I want my paycheck. If you voted yes does this mean you want all federal services shut down? It's easy to talk tough until you're faced with the reality of the situation. Should we stop paying retirees too?

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Retirement is part of the Mandatory Spending Programs and is not affected. Retirees will still continue to receive their paychecks.

I am government employee and I voted yes to shutdown simply because I am tired of working from payday to payday. Want this thing resolved once and for all!

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Retirement is part of the Mandatory Spending Programs and is not affected. Retirees will still continue to receive their paychecks.

I am government employee and I voted yes to shutdown simply because I am tired of working from payday to payday. Want this thing resolved once and for all!

Absolutely, reps to you !!!

burrocrat
04-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes.

Wake up call, shut it down and make it at least 3 weeks please. If we don't wake up and get serious about fixing it now, when it breaks for good it will be way worse than a furlough.

And I hope we don't get paid for not working. That is just plain wrong. Everybody has some skills to give, get with the program and figure out a different way to contribute and earn during the downtime. It helps build character.

A couple of extra days for yardwork this weekend, then on Wednesday I start my temp gig fixing fence, working cattle, and getting some quality tractor time in a beautiful rapidly greening spring outside. Yes!

If you're nice, maybe Show-me and I will share some of our rice with you.

Come on out, we'll show you how to barter labor for silver and food. Better be some good labor though.

WorkFE
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Just finished changing the oil in the dump trucks. Tomorrow by COB I'll know if I need to start lining up additional jobs. My crew will run them during the day and I'll run them at nite. Anyone know how to drive a 13 spd 32 ton dump. I'd like to keep them both working 24/7.:D

Shut it down.

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes.

Wake up call, shut it down and make it at least 3 weeks please. If we don't wake up and get serious about fixing it now, when it breaks for good it will be way worse than a furlough.

And I hope we don't get paid for not working. That is just plain wrong. Everybody has some skills to give, get with the program and figure out a different way to contribute and earn during the downtime. It helps build character.

A couple of extra days for yardwork this weekend, then on Wednesday I start my temp gig fixing fence, working cattle, and getting some quality tractor time in a beautiful rapidly greening spring outside. Yes!

If you're nice, maybe Show-me and I will share some of our rice with you.

Come on out, we'll show you how to barter labor for silver and food. Better be some good labor though.

Who needs food? Good time to start a diet, do some laps on the Gulf of Mexico and work on my summer tan at Pensacola Beach! :D

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Hope that wasn't too harsh.

Not for me :D

poolman
04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
No Shutdown and the markets Rally tomorrow. :)

Boghie
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Shutdown and the markets Rally tomorrow:p

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
No Shutdown and the markets Rally tomorrow.

Shutdown andthe markets Rally tomorrow

What did y'all take for dinner? :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

The markets TANK...

Boghie
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
The difference between now and 1995 is the scope of the problem.

We cannot solve an annual deficit of $1,600,000,000,000 without absolute cuts in spending.

We don't have to cut spending by $1,600,000,000,000. If we stay away from the private sector and reduce the regulatory stupidity we will grow the economy.

We are probably looking at lopping off about $900 Billion.

That, obviously, is a big number.

But, not many want to pay for the bloated government we are getting:p

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
...not many want to pay for the bloated government we are getting:p

But many want the money FROM the government. :worried:

It's a 50:50 tie right now, so it's a little hard to get this fixed... :nuts:

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I voted NO.

But to share the pain, I think all gov't expenditures should be on the furlough table.

Civilian, MIlitary, Retirement. People forget how much the gov't is in charge of, and putting it all on the table is more representative (and a bitter pill to swallow for those who say "get gov't out of our lives, uhm except where it personally benefits me"). This way many military and retiree seniors would at least be putting their $$ where their mouths are...IMHO.

Hope that wasn't too harsh.

If there are too many govt employees, curb how many people you hire. If they get paid too much, change the pay scales. If my taxes help to fund social security, then damn it, I expect to get a social security paycheck. If I was promised a pension after 20 years of service, I expect that pension. Things that people EARN should not be messed with. There is a difference between taking away what someone has earned and not having enough money because the government is too busy wasting our tax dollars. If a third world country needs our military assistance, charge them for our services! Barter our fighting power for oil. Geez!:mad:
Get rid of all the PORK! Eat more chicken!:D

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
What did y'all take for dinner? :nuts: :nuts:

The markets TANK...

Really? Did you notice that? Remember hearing something about buy low, sell high? :rolleyes:

Decision Logic:
If markets TANK = buy
If markets Boom = sell:D

Buster
04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
If there are too many govt employees, curb how many people you hire. If they get paid too much, change the pay scales. If my taxes help to fund social security, then damn it, I expect to get a social security paycheck. If I was promised a pension after 20 years of service, I expect that pension. Things that people EARN should not be messed with. There is a difference between taking away what someone has earned and not having enough money because the government is too busy wasting our tax dollars. If a third world country needs our military assistance, charge them for our services! Barter our fighting power for oil. Geez!:mad:
Get rid of all the PORK! Eat more chicken!:D
Thank you and well put..reps for you

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Really? Did you notice that? Remember hearing something about buy low, sell high? :rolleyes:

Decision Logic:
If markets TANK = buy
If markets Boom = sell:D

Might as well since the buy high, sell low hasn't been working :nuts: :nuts:

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Man, this board really got me going tonight! :nuts:

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Might as well since the buy high, sell low hasn't been working :nuts: :nuts:

You need to get in and stay put. ;)

JTH
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Man, this board really got me going tonight! :nuts:

Good to see some polite passion on the forum amongst friends. JPCavin, I can agree with you it is stressful thinking (and budgeting) payday-to-payday, I had forgotten about that. When all is said, I want the problems fixed, but what I don't want is for our troops to get behind, using paycheck loan sharks, trying to scrape their way out of debt. Some folks live hand to mouth, and although I'm middle-class, I'm not that far away from being poor.

nnuut
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't Fear A Government Shutdown
Audio:
http://www.cato.org/multimedia/daily-podcast/dont-fear-government-shutdown

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Good to see some polite passion on the forum amongst friends. JPCavin, I can agree with you it is stressful thinking (and budgeting) payday-to-payday, I had forgotten about that. When all is said, I want the problems fixed, but what I don't want is for our troops to get behind, using paycheck loan sharks, trying to scrape their way out of debt. Some folks live hand to mouth, and although I'm middle-class, I'm not that far away from being poor.

Yeah, I want my money like everyone else but just want this whole thing to be resolved and if shutting down speeds the process than so be it. However, I am totally against not paying the military. The lame reason given was that DFAS is all civilians and they will not be around to process the pay. TOTALLY LAME! :mad: Either classify some DFAS employees as "essential personnel" or bring in some experienced military pay clerks to fill in for DFAS civilians.

On a side note. I really can't afford to go more than 2 weeks without pay. So I am hoping for a brief closure/swift resolution. :worried:

burrocrat
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Just finished changing the oil in the dump trucks. Tomorrow by COB I'll know if I need to start lining up additional jobs. My crew will run them during the day and I'll run them at nite. Anyone know how to drive a 13 spd 32 ton dump. I'd like to keep them both working 24/7.:D

Shut it down.

How far are you? Still have job box, will travel.

Last one I drove for pay was an automatic. Closed Alcoa site south of the river. Two excavators and two trucks, cleaning sediment ponds, we had our very own racetrack there just outside of town.

It's been a while but I'm sure I could pick back up on the old grind and find.

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you and well put..reps for you

Thanks Dennis! :) I think after tonight, I may need to get started on daily dose of nitroglycerin.:laugh:

Buster
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks Dennis! :) I think after tonight, I may need to get started on daily dose of nitroglycerin.:laugh:

I like your passion..While on the subject..don't forget to keep us posted on those tan lines too..http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/blackstangs281/Avatars/eyebrowswiggle.gif

PessOptimist
04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I want my money like everyone else but just want this whole thing to be resolved and if shutting down speeds the process than so be it. However, I am totally against not paying the military. The lame reason given was that DFAS is all civilians and they will not be around to process the pay. TOTALLY LAME! :mad: Either classify some DFAS employees as "essential personnel" or bring in some experienced military pay clerks to fill in for DFAS civilians.

On a side note. I really can't afford to go more than 2 weeks without pay. So I am hoping for a brief closure/swift resolution. :worried:

I'm not sure your lame reason about DFAS is correct. I think that the defense department is under a continueing resolution. I don't think any of the several budget bills were passed this year. If the continueing resolution runs out I do not think the DOD has the authority to pay anyone.

I could be wrong, Lisa. Someone will correct me.

RealMoneyIssues
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure your lame reason about DFAS is correct. I think that the defense department is under a continueing resolution. I don't think any of the several budget bills were passed this year. If the continueing resolution runs out I do not think the DOD has the authority to pay anyone.

My understanding is that DFAS will pay us through 4/8 on 4/15 (basically, half a paycheck)...

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM

FYI - My name is not Lisa. And military is considered essential, so yes they are most definitely authorized to be paid! Just like police, ems, etc. It's a matter of national security. If they were not authorized pay, they would not receive retroactive pay!

jpcavin
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
My understanding is that DFAS will pay us through 4/8 on 4/15 (basically, half a paycheck)...

RMI, yes. Pay cutoff for the 15th (usually around 6th) is already over and done with (i.e. processed), that is why you are getting paid on the 15th. If the shutdown goes beyond the end of month(EOM) pay cutoff (usually around 22nd) then you will not see a paycheck on the 30th because nobody will be at DFAS to process pay by the end of month cutoff date. However, all military will get retroactive pay when DFAS is back to work.
The part I am not clear about is how they are only going to pay through the 8th when the pay has already been processed through the 15th. If somehow all pay is intercepted and cut off on the 8th, that would equate to 1/2 a paycheck of half a month's pay....or 25% of your monthly pay.

PessOptimist
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I think so too RMI. The statements say you will be paid on the 15th. What they don't seem to say is it will be for the 1st thru the 8th of the month.

About half? Good luck to all of you. I know what "about half" of my normal mid month pay would have meant to my budget.

Good luck to you all

PessOptimist
04-07-2011, 11:34 PM
The Lisa thing is an old joke paraphrasing an old song. "I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie". Very often mis quoted as Judy. I thought you might bite.

This discussion brings up the old discussion about what days/month the paycheck you recieve is paying you for. I think I proved to myself and others that you get paid on the 15th for the month you are in. Like my pay on the 15th is for 1-15 APR. If I was still on active duty.

Based on what you said about the pay being finalized on the sixth, it is a done deal even if there are no funds legally available.

I am really not trying to start any argument about this. I only want to make sure that the kids serving right now know what may or may not happen.

Yeah, I am retired from the military but I do still care about my former family.

PO

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 06:09 AM
I think so too RMI. The statements say you will be paid on the 15th. What they don't seem to say is it will be for the 1st thru the 8th of the month.

About half? Good luck to all of you. I know what "about half" of my normal mid month pay would have meant to my budget.

Good luck to you all

It's not going to be as big a deal for those of us who are prepared, but still too many of our young Sailors are living paycheck to paycheck because they just don't know any better.
Maybe, through this shutdown, some of them will wise up and learn about money manangement.

James48843
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Furlough Friday.

WorkFE
04-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Burro,
4 axle Internationals. Work Horses
Kidding about needing help. My crew would mutiny. They have stuck with us through thick and thin. We are lucky to have them. Of course it is amazing the type employees you have when you treat them right.

James48843
04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Virginia Congressman warns shutdown could last a month or more:

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=47550&oref=todaysnews

JTH
04-08-2011, 08:20 AM
May have to cook some crow stew tonight, just in case :D I told my wife to be prepared, she's pissed!

FAB1
04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I dont know about your agencies/offices but here they are telling us if the Gov shutdown happens we have to report Monday for 4 hours to fill out paperwork??

Is it the usual procedure Gov-wide??

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I dont know about your agencies/offices but here they are telling us if the Gov shutdown happens we have to report Monday for 4 hours to fill out paperwork??

That's what I read on all the circulars...that we come in to shutdown. We were just told (5 minutes ago) to come in to either work or shutdown. We will find out which on Monday.

Silverbird
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
When two sides meet and no one will compromise, the Kabuki dance begins. This is not a negotiation anymore, it's simply a pose dance. No one's clapping anymore, however, it's getting old.

Contrary to popular belief, declaration of war, or cutoff of a negotiation, does not mean that negotiation is useless. But sometimes when you are negotiating, you realize neither side is going anywhere. At that point, it's time to leave the table, and let everyone stew for a while.

It's time to call the bluff. I'm waiting to see what Wall Street does with no employment numbers, no GDP calculations, and no one can get a passport or visa. :toung: It isn't "essential", folks. But it sure is hard to steer your boat without any directions, and you literally can't get anywhere.

EEK, come in Monday? My commuter buses don't leave until mid-afternoon. Now that stinks. What am I supposed to do, the local Borders is closed, and I don't want to sit in Starbucks all afternoon.

nasa1974
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Here also. We have to be in around 8am to sign an SF-8, some kind of roster and get our official furlough documents. Have to be out between 10:30 and 12:30 before security throws us out. WHAT EVER!!

James48843
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM

I posted this last night-

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/memoranda/2011/m11-13.pdf

In it , are the instructions to agencies on how to do the shutdown.

They are required to tell each and every employee, by the close of business today, whether the person is furloughed or not.

Then, on Monday, they can take up to four hours, if needed, to get people to come in and turn in equipment, or sign whatever needs to be signed, and do whatever it takes to turn off the lights.

A lot of good information is in that link. Read it and you'll see what the plan is.
|
Good luck.

Frixxxx
04-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I have been told that I am an "EXCEPTED" employee. I will be working as usual, "except" I don't know when I will be paid.

I wonder if I can get the gas station to accept government I.O.U.s:sick:

bkdaaa
04-08-2011, 09:29 AM
A theory (or perhaps call it a rant):
Why is the Administration so deadset against a shutdown? Why? Because, what would happen to Wall Street? - without the PPT, or POMO, or whatever you want to call that behind-the-scenes gov't group(s), that nudge the futures overnight, and in late days (when volume allows)? :blink:
Why else would such a fractional amount as 33 billion, even 100B be such a big deal, given the size of the U.S. debt?
Its not an about arguement whether to maintain pay for the Military, as "they" now are making it sound - they'll give our Country's best their due! - that's absurd.
But its rather about - let's not harm the "recovery" - oh no! Let's not harm the current market rally, the "recovering" Housing Market, Fannie/Freddie, and so on.. ...and on ...and on! All the rest is just smoke and obscurants - in a word ...:worried: :nuts:

Oh, I went thru the Clinton shutdown, and everyone will likely get paid retroactive, whether you worked or not, just like back then. So there's really only one big downside for the 33B (I suggest its the above).

If you calculate it at 60BN, it is 0% of the budget, actually 0.475% or so. All I know is that if I had not done my job since September of last year, I would not be on the news talking about it. I would be going down to stand in line and get my unemployment check. I think the politicos need to leave the fantasy land they are living in and return to reality.

Scrappy
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I have been told that I am an "EXCEPTED" employee. I will be working as usual, "except" I don't know when I will be paid.

http://www.hark.com/clips/bbdwcpzpsg-thats-as-good-as-money-sir-those-are-ious

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
All

Were starting to see the effects of the shutdown in our office. At least on the reserve side. Our office is getting flooded with phone calls from reservists because their LES is reflecting a debt. (Reservists don't get one LES at the end of the month like active duty)

As you know, or may not know. Reservists on Annual Training orders are paid up through the 15th if their orders take them past or up to the 15th. What DFAS is doing is taking back any pay past the 8th. I suppose it will be the same for active duty except they won't have an LES to look at until the end of the month.

I thought since the pay cutoff for the 15th was on the 6th, that everyone would get paid through the 15th. I guess not. :( Long arm of the government at work.:mad:

Frixxxx
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
All

Were starting to see the effects of the shutdown in our office. At least on the reserve side. Our office is getting flooded with phone calls from reservists because their LES is reflecting a debt. (Reservists don't get one LES at the end of the month like active duty)

JP,

As a reservist, thanks for your support. :D

I was just explaining that since my weekend got cancelled, I would be showing debts for insurance and allotments.

Keep up the great work....:cool:

James48843
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Official furlough count lists starting to roll in:

See it agency by agency:

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=47552&oref=todaysnews

An extract:

Education: 4,150 workers out of 4,465 full- and part-time employees would be furloughed.

Energy: No furloughs in the short term.

General Services Administration: (http://topics.govexec.com/General+Services+Administration/) 11,298 workers out of 12,697 employees would be furloughed.

Health and Human Services (http://www.hhs.gov/about/shutdown/hiatus_2011_hhs_plan_for_web.pdf): 47,693 workers departmentwide would be furloughed.

Interior: From 52,000 to 55,000 out of 68,900 total employees would be furloughed.

Small Business Administration: (http://topics.govexec.com/Small+Business+Administration/) 2,102 out of 3,230 employees would be furloughed.

Labor (http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/shutdown_plan.pdf):14,449 out of 16,099 workers would be furloughed.

Social Security Administration: 20,846 employees out of 68,028 would be furloughed.

Transportation: 17,870 workers out of 58,011 would be furloughed.

More at that link above.

Steel_Magnolia
04-08-2011, 10:51 AM
When two sides meet and no one will compromise, the Kabuki dance begins. This is not a negotiation anymore, it's simply a pose dance. No one's clapping anymore, however, it's getting old.

This is the picture and lead paragraph on CNN. I agree with you, SB, as usual.

And in '95 when we went through this for 3 weeks our agencies set up a phone line with recorded updates on whether to report to work or not the following day. Now with today's technology, I would hope they set up a web pages as well.

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 10:51 AM
JP,

As a reservist, thanks for your support. :D

I was just explaining that since my weekend got cancelled, I would be showing debts for insurance and allotments.

Keep up the great work....:cool:

Thanks Frixxx. I understood what you were saying. ;)However, my post had nothing to do with what you posted. I was merely reporting "live" as we see it happening...I work in a Pay and Personnel Office(Navy)...S1 for Marines...not sure what the other branches call it. :D

Christopher
04-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Please don't hold it against us - we account for and manage funding for the Armed Services. We don't "make the rules" on pay, we just follow them... :(
What DFAS is doing is taking back any pay past the 8th.

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Please don't hold it against us - we account for and manage funding for the Armed Services. We don't "make the rules" on pay, we just follow them... :(

Please don't be so literal. Of course you are doing what you are told to do. I never said and I belief it's widely understood that it's not DFAS making the call.

James48843
04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
It's not about the money.

Government Shutdown Threatened By Republicans Over Planned Parenthood

WASHINGTON -- The United States government is on the verge of shutting down over a dispute about subsidized pap smears, according to sources familiar with the budget negotiations.

The White House and Senate Democrats have publicly capitulated to ever-increasing Republican demands for spending cuts, but negotiations over the budget for the remainder of the fiscal year have shifted their focus from money to so-called riders -- provisions that restrict the federal government from spending money on certain projects or entities.

Riders are used by members of Congress to make social policy without going through the regular congressional committee process, or they are used to benefit business interests by specifically blocking the government from spending money to write or enforce certain regulations.

At a late-night White House meeting between the president and key congressional leaders, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) made clear that his conference would not approve funding for the government if any money were allowed to flow to Planned Parenthood through legislation known as Title X. "This comes down to women's health issues related to Title X," a person in the meeting told HuffPost.

More:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/government-shutdown-planned-parenthood_n_846463.html

nnuut
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh by the way, when I voted I accidentally selected NO and as you know wanted to vote yes! Give one more for YES and subtract one from NO!
What a dummy!:embarrest:

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
What a dummy!:embarrest:

Take away his moderator status... lol

:laugh: :blink:

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

More:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/government-shutdown-planned-parenthood_n_846463.html

Wow, such a one sided commentary... oh, it's the Huffington Post... duh

Christopher
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
and what a perk THAT would be! the best perk we can manage out on Main Street is a 10% discount at local food establishments - wish the gas stations would match that offer... :suspicious:

JTH
04-08-2011, 11:38 AM

More:

And why should we pay for this program? This is 1 party buying votes through free abortions for poor minorites who make up the majority, or am I mistaken? Federal funded birth control.

nnuut
04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Take away his moderator status... lol

:laugh: :blink:
Who says you can't be a Mod if you're a Dummy?:laugh:

nnuut
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
And why should we pay for this program? This is 1 party buying votes through free abortions for poor minorites who make up the majority, or am I mistaken? Federal funded birth control.
Someone is forgetting cutting EPA power and Trashing PBS!:D

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Who says you can't be a Mod if you're a Dummy?:laugh:

I wasn't going there... buuuuutttt... ;)

Viva_La_Migra
04-08-2011, 11:51 AM

More:

Remember, the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate, and the White House. They had the duty and the obligation to pass a budget BEFORE the beginning of the fiscal year. THEY FAILED TO DO SO! This shutdown is the Democrat Party's fault. No amount of spin on your part will change this basic fact.

James48843
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM

You are mistaken. Planned Parenthood is prohibted by law from spending federal money on abortion services. The money in question isn't for abortion services, it's for pap smears, breast x-rays, birth control and counseling under Title X.

But- that aside, the point is...that the entire shutdown, which was proclaimed to be about the size of spending- is no longer about the size of spending- it's all come down to ideological arguments, not spending issues.

Frixxxx
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Guess we need a warning.

Please refrain from the political side of this discussion.

If you have pertinent effects on the financial ramifications (personal or market), that is acceptable.

Thanks everyone!:cool:

James48843
Remember, the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate, and the White House. They had the duty and the obligation to pass a budget BEFORE the beginning of the fiscal year. THEY FAILED TO DO SO! This shutdown is the Democrat Party's fault. No amount of spin on your part will change this basic fact.

Why did they fail to do so?

If you remember last fall- they passed a full year-long budget in the House.

And they sent it to the Senate.

And even though the dems controlled 58 votes in the Senate, no republican would agree to allow it to be given a vote. The republicans blocked the vote last fall.

That's why no budget was passed last fall.

Steel_Magnolia
I will be so glad when Beltway is back up and running so that this MB can be about non-finger pointing issues again. <grin>

James48843
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Frixxxx-

give me a concession on the above post. I wrote it before you posted your above note- although I hit the post button after you hit your post button.

Sorry.

Steel_Magnolia
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM

And even though the dems controlled 58 votes in the Senate, no republican would agree to allow it to be given a vote. The republicans blocked the vote last fall.

Silly Jim, trying to inject facts into the budget discussion again. LOL

James48843
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I will be so glad when Beltway is back up and running so that this MB can be about non-finger pointing issues again. <grin>

note:

Major issue with beltway. the new server software is an older version that is not able to handle the upload size of the exsting message data that's on Beltway- so I have to get with the server company and ask for a software update to be installed before I can resume uploading beltway.

It may be awhile before that's done.

Sorry.

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM

And why would any SANE person pass a budget with increased spending and a 1.76 BILLION deficit? :blink: :blink:

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Bush broke it and Obama don't know how to fix it. Are we all even? Can we move along now?

WorkFE
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
JP,
Not likely

hotwings
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I doubt they will shut down....they are playing political games and the political fallout will be huge if they don't reach a deal or extend the CR by this evening.

JTH
04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
You are mistaken. Planned Parenthood is prohibted by law from spending federal money on abortion services. The money in question isn't for abortion services, it's for pap smears, breast x-rays, birth control and counseling under Title X.

But- that aside, the point is...that the entire shutdown, which was proclaimed to be about the size of spending- is no longer about the size of spending- it's all come down to ideological arguments, not spending issues.

Copy, so then my next non-political question is why aren't these services removed from Planned Parenthood and rolled into the National health care system?

What this is, is two parties playing chicken.

Scrappy
04-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Sooooo, the buck hasn't stopped at the "leaders" desk on any issue since elected. Bottom line is it George Bush's fault! ;)

James48843
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Some new numbers coming in....

Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov/adminweb/images/EPAContingencyPlanAPRIL82011.pdf): Of 17,721 employees, 16,061 workers would be furloughed.

Health and Human Services (http://www.hhs.gov/about/shutdown/hiatus_2011_hhs_plan_for_web.pdf): 47,693 workers departmentwide would be furloughed.

Interior: From 52,000 to 55,000 out of 68,900 total employees would be furloughed.

Housing and Urban Development (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=hudcontingencyplanfinal.pdf): The department has 9,700 employees. Of that number, 846 would be excepted and 8,854 furloughed.

More at:
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=47552&oref=todaysnews

FAB1
04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
:nuts: Youve gotta be pretty dumb to believe this media line that Planned parenthood is the ONLY thing stopping a finished budget.

:confused: Of course the slant is womens health is at risk.

No mention that babie humans lives are at risk. :mad:

I call Bee Ess!

JTH
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Screw it, I'm changing my vote to a yes and going with the scorched earth policy. What we need is some real sacrifices, somebody willing to take a financial bullet. Pain is a good thing...

Please, keep it nice, there is no need for name calling or names implied.

FAB1
04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Ok I for one I about amazed at the poll results so far???

:confused: 50/50 ?

Half of Government employee say its OK to send me home without pay?

Maybe there is hope for the USA after all.

Silverbird
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Yikes, a little fire down here since my last post?

Reminds me of the following:
U.S. Company: Our strategies parallel one another, don't you think?
Chinese Company: (listens to the translation, thinks for a moment) Yes, in parallel.
US company sponsors huge banquet.
3 weeks later US company doesn't get any orders. They call the Chinese company, "I thought you agreed our strategies paralled one another."
Chinese company, "Yes, I looked up parallel. And it said 'two lines that never meet.'":toung:

nasa1974
04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
From CONGRESS.org

Shutdowns of the past

By CQ Staff (http://www.congress.org/community/profile/64827981)

On 17 occasions since September 1976, Congress has allowed appropriations to lapse, requiring the government to begin shutting down non-essential operations.

Fiscal Year 1977
• The government shut down on Thursday, Sept. 30, 1976, for 10 days.
Fiscal Year 1978
• The government shut down on Friday, Sept. 30, 1977, for 12 days;
• Monday, Oct. 31, 1977, for eight days; and on
• Wednesday, Nov. 30, 1977, for eight days.

http://www.congress.org/news/2011/04/08/shutdowns_of_the_past

James48843
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Yikes, a little fire down here since my last post?

Reminds me of the following:
U.S. Company: Our strategies parallel one another, don't you think?
Chinese Company: (listens to the translation, thinks for a moment) Yes, in parallel.
US company sponsors huge banquet.
3 weeks later US company doesn't get any orders. They call the Chinese company, "I thought you agreed our strategies paralled one another."
Chinese company, "Yes, I looked up parallel. And it said 'two lines that never meet.'":toung:

Peeerrrfect.

Scrappy
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
note:

Major issue with beltway. the new server software is an older version that is not able to handle the upload size of the exsting message data that's on Beltway- so I have to get with the server company and ask for a software update to be installed before I can resume uploading beltway.

Sorry.

Does the budget exist to purchase the software update for the furloughed beltway? :p

Buster
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
On the abortion thing..

If the taxpayer don't fund free abortions for shall we say; underprivileged promiscuous females..then we the taxpayers will more than likely be paying for the child through and beyond age 18 via some form of social welfare program....so IMO, it's a pay them now or pay for a very long time, 9 months later.....:(

Just putting that out there..not saying which way is best or worse

Viva_La_Migra
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM

They weren't willing to work with Republicans to cut spending. Sounds oddly familiar.:suspicious:

Viva_La_Migra
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
On the abortion thing..

If the taxpayer don't fund free abortions for shall we say; underprivileged promiscuous females..then we the taxpayers will more than likely be paying for the child through and beyond age 18 via some form of social welfare program....so IMO, it's a pay them now or pay for a very long time, 9 months later....Lose-lose.:(
It is kinda funny that Democrats are for abortion and Republicans are against it. More welfare recipients and convicts means more votes for Democrats. You'd think they'd be opposed to abortion for that reason alone. I mean, that's the only reason they like Undocumented Democrats.:cool:

Viva_La_Migra
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Bush broke it and Obama don't know how to fix it. Are we all even? Can we move along now?
Bush didn't break it, the Democrats did. The Republicans spent a whole lot of money after 09/11, but the Democrats have brought us to the brink of bankruptcy since they took over the Congress in 2007.

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Bush didn't break it. I know that. Just trying to make nice.;) You know, throw the Dems a bone. :laugh:

Gosh, I may get my first warning for this. :sick:

James48843
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
How about we all agree that our fellow workers, who may or may not be coming to work on Monday, all deserve our moral support.

We can't really do anything about what the decisions makes in D.C. want to do or will do.

But we can tell our fellow workers we feel for them and will do what we can for them to help ease their burdens.

Can we all agree on that?

WorkFE
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Is it fair to say J, you are an excepted position employee?

nnuut
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I agree, all they need to do is to have patience they will get paid, always have during these things.

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 02:41 PM

No. I will be on furlough. I will eat off the fat of the land and Obama will pay my mortgage. No worries. :laugh:

WorkFE
04-08-2011, 02:41 PM
No. I will be on furlough.

James.

Viva_La_Migra
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I'll be in for work. I was going to take leave on Monday, but that was canceled and I was told if I didn't come in I'd be considered AWOL. Hope I don't get sick over the weekend.:sick:

James48843
04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Dept of Trans plan, by sub Agency:

http://www.dot.gov/docs/DOTOpsDuringFundingLapse.pdf

and yes, I will be at work on Monday.

RealMoneyIssues
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
No. I will be on furlough. I will eat off the fat of the land and Obama will pay my mortgage. No worries. :laugh:

ROFLMAO... +1 to you !!!

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 06:54 PM

I, too, will eat off the fat of the land.

Fortunately, I have no mortgage.

Unfortunately, until the new unicorn gas power generation stations come online, I still have utility bills.

Confuscuious say, may you live in interesting times.

Let 'er rip tater chip.

Birchtree
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
The socialists should stop funding illegitimacy and ruining our educational system.

FAB1
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
From CONGRESS.org

Shutdowns of the past

By CQ Staff (http://www.congress.org/community/profile/64827981)

On 17 occasions since September 1976, Congress has allowed appropriations to lapse, requiring the government to begin shutting down non-essential operations.

Fiscal Year 1977
• The government shut down on Thursday, Sept. 30, 1976, for 10 days.
Fiscal Year 1978
• The government shut down on Friday, Sept. 30, 1977, for 12 days;
• Monday, Oct. 31, 1977, for eight days; and on
• Wednesday, Nov. 30, 1977, for eight days.

http://www.congress.org/news/2011/04/08/shutdowns_of_the_past

Yea - Good Post!

To listen to the media and their enablers they would have us to believe...

(cue Monty Python music)...Eets!!

8U7_r2C6Q5A (http://youtu.be/8U7_r2C6Q5A)

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
note:

Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVr1l7Xbko

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Looks like the Yes' are leading. Remember nnuut meant to vote YES.

James48843
04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVr1l7Xbko

Yeh- NO KIDDING!

P.S.- got the db size problem fixed.
Then I was able to get the DNS server pointers moved. One more step closer! Yea!.

But...not ready yet!

next is a problem with a SQL php config file.

Tom knows the answers and how to fix, but is not available right now.

Little bitty issues- but even a single one stops beltway in it's tracks.

jpcavin
04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Tom knows the answers and how to fix, but is not available right now.

Does this mean the Auto Tracker won't be updated tonight? :nuts:

PessOptimist
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I recuse myself from voting because I don't really have a stake in it. My part of my agency has income sources other than the US government and we are told we can continue operating as usual for now. Since I will feel no pain from a shutdown it is difficult for me to make an unbiased choice.

Best of luck to anyone who does get furloughed. It isn't over yet, we have almost two hours.:worried:

James48843
04-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Note:

C-Span is showing some House Representative tweets, indicating a deal is being struck.

No confirmation yet.

Buster
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Alright..the party is over..everyone..Get back to work...:)

Just wanted to thank everybody for participating on a most volatile and in most cases, personal issue...Also for remaining civil to each other here as the poll clearly indicated a 50/50 split on what should have been done or allowed to happen..

I think in the long run, this outcome is better for the budget and will cost Americans fewer tax dollars to get back to normal after the shutdown, had it been allowed to happened..so I think this settlement before the deadline tonight was a positive thing..what compromises and concessions that has been made, remains to be seen..I'm sure the remainder of the FY will be about ironing out the fine details..

Good night and sleep tight:)

James48843
04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
No deal until a vote in BOTH Houses of Congress takes place.

Don't count chickens just yet-

Buster
04-08-2011, 10:15 PM
No deal until a vote in BOTH Houses of Congress takes place.

Don't count chickens just yet-

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to lay a little friendly wager on it would you, Mr. glass always half empty?:cool:

James48843
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm guessing you wouldn't want to lay a little friendly wager on it would you, Mr. glass always half empty?:cool:

No thank you. No wagering here. I'm out of burro chips...

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Do you ever feel like you've been played? You know, the emotional rollercoaster, omg what am I gonna do? Caught in a big ole game of chicken?

Everyone up there knew they couldn't afford to let it shut down, no matter whose fault it is. It was just the little issue of who would balk first.

Great show, stick around for the replay next week. On the bright side, my desk is cleaner than it's ever been.

Investing tip: buy anything and everything to do with invisible ink. They're going to have to print the notes somehow, and the source for all the red ink done dried up.

James48843
04-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Republican congressman just tweated "We've been sold out- voting NO!"

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh man, it's supposed to be 60 and sunny with no wind come Monday. I had plans.

Time > Money

FAB1
04-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Now I can sleep easier knowing the huge deficit got a itty bitty flea bite bitten out of it by this histerical feat of the 545 supermen that rule Planet Bizzaro. /s

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
is a problem with a SQL php config file.

give RMI a set of weekend janitor keys, i bet he can help fix it.

Buster
04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by James48843 http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?p=310407#post310407)
is a problem with a SQL php config file.

Simple....The config.php does not exist. just fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php...Badda-bing:laugh:

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Simple....The config.php does not exist. just fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php...Badda-bing:laugh:

does it come with pictures?

Buster
04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
does it come with pictures?

No..just a Twitter;)

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Ooops, instructions. I meant instructions.

Buster
04-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Ooops, instructions. I meant instructions.
Twhich ones?

burrocrat
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Twhich ones?

i have an ear infection.

Buster
04-09-2011, 08:54 AM

i have an ear infection.Ya need to get that thing listened to..then.:worried:

WorkFE
04-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah. Bickering for another week.

Funny thing happened yesterday. I was informed at 1530 that I was non-excepted. Cool, I have other things in the pipeline anyhow. Trying to stay productive.
Boss comes to me before he leaves for the day and says to keep an eye on the storms moving through KY. If a tornado strikes the installation I need to report. Wow, thought they had those necessary positions covered. right.

RealMoneyIssues
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
give RMI a set of weekend janitor keys, i bet he can help fix it.

Appreciate the confidence, but every forum is different. I think he is looking for a copy of this forums config file so he doesn't have to build it from scratch (which will probably involve a lot of hit and miss)... :worried:

James48843
04-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Yes Buster, that's EXACTLY what I need to do at the next step here. Except I don't know the format of the data elements, and exactly what those data elements should say. I took a look at it, and decided that rather than screw it up myself, I'd find someone fluent in it enough to screw it up for me. :-)

You volunteering? Tom won't be back for a while...

burrocrat
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
RE: .gov shutdown

Sold. Down the river.

Know it when you see it. It's your pound of flesh.

Then there's next week, and the debt ceiling, and next year, and more funny stuff.

Great theater, play it again Sam.

burrocrat
04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
omg, i was so skeered i might lose MY money for an indefinate period of time i almost peed myself. i have it coming, i'm entitled, give me mine.

Yes sir, sir. Let's just take the scheduled furloughs instead, a day here and there, it won't be too bad. I want to do my part to drop in the bucket. Heck, it's only a pound, and what's flesh worth these days anyways?

Get ready fellow fed folks, it's coming.

James48843
04-09-2011, 04:07 PM
So.... no government shutdown.

So what do you think that will do to the stock market on Monday?

Will it go up?

burrocrat
04-10-2011, 05:01 AM
So.... no government shutdown.

So what do you think that will do to the stock market on Monday?

Will it go up?

I'm not so sure about the short-term effect on the markets. But I think the real lesson of the budget debacle is that it highlighted just how disfunctional and detached from fiscal reality our process has become. I think we are so awash in debt and irresponsible spending that it's impossible to ignore any longer. I think the bond hawks have been salivating at the prospect of yet another sovereign carcass to pick clean, and it may be ours next.

It is embarassing to me that we are this far into a fiscal year and still are fiddling around with how to cover the bills. What do we pay these people up there to do anyway? And are they doing it to your satisfaction?

The closed door deals and the showdowns and the hold employees and benefit recepients hostage to score a few points is a despicable and inefficient way to run a business. If we don't start running it like a business we may soon find ourselves out of business.

Frixxxx
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
With the current resolution only a week long, it still remains to be seen if a total budget will be signed by Friday....Markets will not care until then:notrust:

But, you could see optimistic buyers coming in:blink:

Boghie
04-10-2011, 11:36 AM
With the current resolution only a week long, it still remains to be seen if a total budget will be signed by Friday....Markets will not care until then:notrust:

But, you could see optimistic buyers coming in:blink:

Frixxxx,

Congress passed this CR just to keep the gubmint running so they could get a rubber stamp vote and ink the long term agreement. There was no time to call Congress into session and vote. However, they whipped it and have enough votes - probably far more than they need. So this CR and the votes are procedural only. The firing gun has gone off and the game is over.

My guess is that the market will boom.

I will also guess that many in Congress will demand more cuts in trade for an increase in the credit card limit. I bet those will be deep. Maybe a hundred billion or so.

Folks, get ready. The Treasury will be appropriating funding from your 'G Fund' assets within a month. Will such action freeze your assets in the 'G Fund' - ie. will you be able to move money out of G and into F/C/S/I. Who knows. I do know one thing. I don't want an entity that has never paid its bills in my lifetime to borrow from me. I already have dependents:p.

Steel_Magnolia
04-10-2011, 12:45 PM
.... What do we pay these people up there to do anyway? .....
What do we pay them to do? Well, on BOTH sides of the aisle, what we are paying them to do is to run around making back-door deals with each other to to get the power so they can take the pork home to their constituents so they can buy the votes so they can run around making back-door deals with each other ..... Ad infinitum.

burrocrat
04-10-2011, 02:05 PM
What do we pay them to do? Well, on BOTH sides of the aisle, what we are paying them to do is to run around making back-door deals with each other to to get the power so they can take the pork home to their constituents so they can buy the votes so they can run around making back-door deals with each other ..... Ad infinitum.

Well then, they should be fired.

RealMoneyIssues
04-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Well then, they should be fired.

And next time I have my say in the matter, that is exactly what I plan...

James48843
12-09-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm digging out this old thread because it's starting to look like we may go there again.

The Government runs out of money at MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

And last night- West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin said dems would block passage unless health care benefits would be extended for Coal Miners (http://www.govexec.com/management/2016/12/shutdown-looms-senate-democrats-refuse-back-down-over-miners-benefits/133768/?oref=top-story) who lost their jobs.

What do you think?

Are we about to do another government shutdown this weekend?

Warrenlm
12-09-2016, 10:51 AM
If Obama closes the outdoor, no fences, totally open World War II Memorial again just to make a show, it's too cold anyway.

k0nkuzh0n
12-09-2016, 11:21 AM
runs out of money? Is this a debt ceiling fight, or a budget authorization fight?

James48843
12-09-2016, 12:48 PM
runs out of money? Is this a debt ceiling fight, or a budget authorization fight?

It is neither a debt ceiling, nor an authorization issue.

It's an appropriation bill.

So technically, the U.S. Government is about to cease (at midnight tonight) appropriations to spend any money.

jpcavin
12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm going to use one of my many cat lives to make a prediction. No we don't shut down.

You heard it here first.

You're welcome.

burrocrat
12-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Government is about to cease to spend any money.

'bout fookin time.

jpcavin
12-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Government Shutdown Averted As Democrats Drop Objections, Funding Bill Passes : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2016/12/09/504991011/no-shutdown-democrats-drop-funding-bill-objections-passage-expected-tonight) :banana:

evilanne
12-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Government Shutdown Averted As Democrats Drop Objections, Funding Bill Passes : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2016/12/09/504991011/no-shutdown-democrats-drop-funding-bill-objections-passage-expected-tonight) :banana:
James post in thread under Government Employees, entitled "Budget (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/federal-employees/24090-budget.html)" that addressed House's continuing resolution:
"It is named H.R. 2028, and will be a Continuing Resolution valid until April 28, 2017.

They Government could be more cost effective if they went away from 1 year appropriations, these partial CRs just create a lot of extra work.

jpcavin
12-10-2016, 02:16 AM
James post in thread under Government Employees, entitled "Budget (http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/federal-employees/24090-budget.html)" that addressed House's continuing resolution:
"It is named H.R. 2028, and will be a Continuing Resolution valid until April 28, 2017.

They Government could be more cost effective if they went away from 1 year appropriations, these partial CRs just create a lot of extra work.

James posted the proposed bill. It was just passed less than an hour before midnight.

Agree on the yearly. However, I am glad that Trump will have some say in the rest of the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilanne
12-10-2016, 02:51 AM
It was just passed less than an hour before midnight.
True, but it appears that there really weren't any changes and source document is the House Resolution.
Obama signed: Senate passes funding bill, Obama signs into law | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-spending-idUSKBN13Z016)

burrocrat
12-10-2016, 03:24 AM
However, I am glad that Trump will have some say in the rest of the rear.

rears:

years:

jpcavin
12-10-2016, 08:43 AM
rears:

years:

Ugh, that's what I get for posting at 2am[emoji16]

jpcavin
12-10-2016, 08:46 AM
True, but it appears that there really weren't any changes and source document is the House Resolution.
Obama signed: Senate passes funding bill, Obama signs into law | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-spending-idUSKBN13Z016)

That may be so but that wasn't the purpose of my post. Earlier I predicted that the government would not shut down and the article that I posted was confirming that the government wasn't shutting down. [emoji3]

James48843
12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Well, here we are again.

This morning, after midnight, the Senate passed the tax bill, 51-48.

This morning the House is RE-VOTING on the bill AGAIN.

The changes made in the Senate before of changes made.

But NOBODY has yet filed a bill to continue the function of government after the lat CR runs out on Friday.

I am hearing there are AGAIN some real problems agreeing on what to include. I understand we are also having an issue with the debt ceiling right now.- will that also be included?

What do YOU think- are we going to get another extension by Friday?

nasa1974
12-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Your guess is as good as mine.

Flip a coin and you have a 50/50 chance of being right.

nnuut
12-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Shut/down is an oxymoron.

wvango
12-20-2017, 11:11 AM
These things used to scare me, but I am kind of hoping that we do shut down. I am a government employee and they end up back paying us for the time anyway. So a vacation would be nice. Dilly Dilly!!!

Edit: But I do not think they will shut down!

James48843
12-20-2017, 02:01 PM
hey Tom- can you make that the next poll?

Will there be a government shutdown at the end of this week?

Thanks

nnuut
12-20-2017, 07:09 PM
I used to love the Shutdowns, time off and don't have to use an hour of AL!! Save it before you retire and cash it in, I DID and had the MAX>

RazorCat
12-20-2017, 08:28 PM
No government shutdown this week.
They don’t want the market to tank and lose the money they have invested on those insider tips they’re not supposed to be getting anymore. :27::27::27:

nasa1974
12-21-2017, 05:49 AM
From Govexec.com
Government News, Research and Events for Federal Employees - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/)

Congress Removes Some Roadblocks, But Path to Avoiding a Shutdown Still Unclear

By Eric Katz (http://www.govexec.com/voices/eric-katz/6739/)
December 20, 2017

Congress Removes Some Roadblocks, But Path to Avoiding a Shutdown Still Unclear - Management - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/management/2017/12/congress-clears-some-roadblocks-avoiding-shutdown-others-still-remain/144726/?oref=top-story)

nasa1974
12-21-2017, 05:51 AM
From Govexec.com
Government News, Research and Events for Federal Employees - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/)

Hoyer: Republicans Still Don't Have the Votes on Deal to Avoid Shutdown

By Erich Wagner (http://www.govexec.com/voices/erich-wagner/12880/)
December 20, 2017

Hoyer: Republicans Still Don&#39;t Have the Votes on Deal to Avoid Shutdown - Oversight - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/oversight/2017/12/hoyer-republicans-still-dont-have-votes-funding-deal/144721/?oref=river)

nasa1974
12-21-2017, 06:01 AM
From Govexec.com

See Who Would Get Furloughed in a 2017 Shutdown

By Eric Katz (http://www.govexec.com/voices/eric-katz/6739/)
December 11, 2017

See Who Would Get Furloughed in a 2017 Shutdown - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com (http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2017/12/see-who-would-get-furloughed-2017-shutdown/144463/?oref=skybox)

"A slew of federal agencies for the first time since 2015 have updated their shutdown contingency plans, noting who would continue to work and who would get sent home in the event Congress fails to reach a budget deal just before Christmas..."

RazorCat
12-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Sounds like both sides of the aisle are blocking passage of the CR at this point. Stop trying to attach conditions and pork to the CR maybe? That's why they get themselves into this predicament in the first place.

tsptalk
12-21-2017, 09:45 AM
hey Tom- can you make that the next poll?

Will there be a government shutdown at the end of this week?

https://www.websitetoolbox.com/cgi/view/poll.cgi?username=tsptalk&showPage=1&id=36080 (https://www.websitetoolbox.com/cgi/view/poll.cgi?username=tsptalk&showPage=1)

uscfanhawaii
12-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Congress votes to avert government shutdown, but Senate fails to pass disaster aid package (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congress-votes-to-avert-government-shutdown-but-senate-fails-to-pass-disaster-aid-package/ar-BBH7X9V?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp)

No Shutdown. Congress kicked the can down the road to Jan 19. (Nice of them to give us our 2 Holidays in January before threatening another Shutdown!)

As for the disaster areas....they are going to have to suck it up through the Holidays. :blink:

James48843
02-06-2018, 01:06 AM
Note: We are now less than 72 hours away from the next potential government shutdown. (Money expires Feb 8 at midnight).

What do you think? Another midnight 3 week extension in the works? Or will it be messy again?

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=74921)

nasa1974
02-06-2018, 06:28 AM
It sounds like both the House and the Senate are trying to get some stuff approved but from what it looks like it would result in another CR.

The House needs to have a vote tomorrow because the Dems go on retreat Thursday. So if the talking heads knew that why did they pick the 8th????

Anyway, I don't have a warm fuzzy about this and if we do shutdown it won't be for a day or two.

RazorCat
02-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Congress, the only government employees that can just keep telling their bosses (the American people) that they're going to need an extension (over, and over, and over again) because they're simply incapable of doing the job they're paid to do.
That goes 100% for both sides of the aisle.
I'm amazed their approval rating is a whopping 9%.