PDA

View Full Version : Pay Freeze till 2015 resolution

FundSurfer
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
GOP budget resolution calls for pay freeze through 2015

The chairman of the House Budget Committee on Tuesday called for a federal pay freeze through 2015 and a slowdown in government hiring as part of an overall effort to cut trillions of dollars in spending during the next decade......
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=47515&dcn=todaysnews

________

This brings several items to mind.

1. Average Americans think we have it made, are getting outragous benefits, and are not very productive.

I'll agree that we need pay reform but freezing federal pay is not the answer.

2. Do congressmen actually think about the impacts this type of action would have before putting out this kind of drivel?

Obviously, congress in general does not think.

3. Impacts:

Many elligible to retire will choose to do so earlier. Call it the federal brain drain as our most experianced employees leave in mass exodus.

The attempt to force agencies to downsize with the three to one deal gives no thought to workloads.

4. Did you catch the recomendation to have federal employees put more into system to fund pensions - effectively a five percent pay cut?

Wow. Depending on how congress tries to enact this one, it could lead to a big class action lawsuit. Nobody wants that.

5. Congress obviously does not think about federal morale at all.

I think I'll stop here and try to let my blood pressure come down. I realize this is just political huffing and puffing, but it sends a message that federal employees are the problem.

Maybe it is time for me to consider joining a union....

alevin
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Now that I'm a bit more edjicated than I was prior to the last shutdown, I'm trying to figure out how to maintain ability to manage tsp funds myself. If .gov "borrows" G fund while I'm in cap preservation mode, I won't have ability to get in at the bottom when the market crashes-if they haven't refunded my funds yet. not liking the choices here-protect account from being borrowed by being fully in the market and risking crash, or letting them borrow and risk never getting it back due to Treasury default. Maybe I'll put it 50S/50I-hedge one off the other. thinking, thinking, thinking.

SkyPilot
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Remember when?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Employees_Pay_Comparability_Act_of_1990

Buster
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Remember when?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Employees_Pay_Comparability_Act_of_1990
I remember it very well..and the so-call unions did nothing to fix or negotiate with any success the imbalance!

James48843
04-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I remember it very well..and the so-call unions did nothing to fix or negotiate with any success the imbalance!

I find that a pretty incredible statement there, Buster. I gotta ask, what did you contirbute to make FECA a success? Did you lobby Congress for it's passage?

It was the Unions- in the form of members from all over, employees like you and me, who managed to get the law passed in the first place.

It was the Unions who got you that extra LOCALITY PAYMENT OF 14.16% for the rest of U.S. pay area.

I think we all should be grateful to "the Unions" who made the FECA possible in the first place. You can only do what you can do with the support of those who will stand together and make things happen.