PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service - Big changes ahead.

Show-me
03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Two items to share.

1. USPS has figured out that if they can not get public and/or Congressional support in order to shut down under performing small post offices, just change the Code of Federal Regulation. Remember unlimited inter fund transfers?

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2011/03/28/usps-proposed-rule-to-amend-regulations-for-post-office-closing-consolidating-process/

And then there is the second prong.

2. Get Sen. John McCain to change a few select words in the Code of Federal Regulation in the form of a Amend. to S. 493 in order to shut down rural Offices, increase employee health and life insurance (while circumventing a contract) and limit pay of postal executives to make no more than the Vice President of the United States of America.

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2011/03/29/mccain-wants-postal-workers-to-pay-more-for-health-life-insurance-and-limit-postal-execs-pay/

At the end of the bill, add the following:

SEC. __X. POSTAL SERVICE POLICY.
Section 101(b) of title 39, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in the first sentence, by striking ``a maximum degree of''; and
(2) in the second sentence, by striking ``No small'' and all that follows through ``being'' and inserting ``It is''.

SA 251. Mr. McCAIN submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 493, to reauthorize and improve the SBIR and STTR programs, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

SEC. __X. LIMITATION ON POSTAL SERVICE CONTRIBUTIONS FOR LIFE INSURANCE AND HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS.
(a) In General.--If the Postmaster General does not submit a certification described under subsection (b) to Congress before fiscal year 2012 and each fiscal year thereafter--
(1) no sums may be appropriated from the United States Treasury to the United States Postal Service with respect to that fiscal year; and
(2) notwithstanding section 2005(a) of title 39, United States Code, the United States Postal Service may not borrow any money under that section with respect to that fiscal year.
(b) Certification.--A certification referred to under subsection (a) is a certification that, with respect to the applicable fiscal year, the contributions by the United States Postal Service for employees for--
(1) life insurance benefits shall not exceed the maximum contribution provided for under section 8708 of title 5, United States Code; and
(2) health insurance benefits shall not exceed the maximum contribution provided for under section 8906 of title 5, United States Code.

SA 252. Mr. McCAIN submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 493, to reauthorize and improve the SBIR and STTR programs, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

SEC. __X. LIMITATION ON PAY OF OFFICERS OF THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE.
(a) Repeal of Exception to Compensation Limitation.--Section 3686 of title 39, United States Code, is amended--
(1) by striking subsection (c); and
(2) by redesignating subsections (d) and (e) as subsections (c) and (d), respectively.
(b) Limitation on Pay.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the total annual pay of the Postmaster General or any other officer or employee of the Postal Service may not exceed the total annual pay payable to the Vice President under section 104 of title 3, United States Code, until the Postal Service has paid--
(1) any obligation and any borrowed money under section 2005 of title 39, United States Code; and (2) any other debt owed to the United States Treasury.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r112:1:./temp/~r1125ZgPMq:e0:

Show-me
03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
How about a Amendment that all Congressmen and women make no more than the lowest middle class salary bracket and no pension benefit until all debts of the United States of America, foreign and domestic, are paid in full and all entitlements are fully funded.. That is some legislation I could get behind. lol

crws
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, at least I got a step-up to 10/I (kiss) b4 I get forked :rolleyes:

KevinD
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Union Members Ratify Contract

http://www.apwu.org/news/nsb/2011/nsb09-110511-contract-ratification_vote.htm

APWU News Bulletin 09-2011, May 11, 2011 | PDF

APWU members approved a new contract May 11, with more than 75 percent of those casting ballots voting in favor of ratification. The final tally was 69,451 to 22,351 in balloting that ended May 10. The agreement will expire May 20, 2015.

Ballots were tallied May 11. The count was conducted by the American Arbitration Association, under the supervision of the Rank and File Bargaining Advisory Committee.

“The new contract is an important achievement for the APWU,” said President Cliff Guffey. “We were able to retain protection against layoffs, bring back thousands of jobs in each craft, and limit excessing.

nnuut
05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
A friend of mine is a Mail Handler and told me if it wasn't for junk mail she would be out of a job!:confused:

konakathy
05-11-2011, 11:09 PM
A friend of mine is a Mail Handler and told me if it wasn't for junk mail she would be out of a job!:confused:

Your friend is right, 55-60% of our revenue is generated by "Bulk Business
Mail" (junk mail is a bad word for USPS employees.) But, with the ratification
of the APWU union contract, the immediate big changes will happen for clerks and front line "stupervisors." This summer the USPS will be pushing for bigger
changes, 5-day delivery, pre-funding the healthcare trust and getting ready for
the November contract talks with NALC (carrier) union. Big changes are needed to make the USPS solvent and that's what management, unions and Congress are hashing out. Glad I only have 5 more years left.

nnuut
05-11-2011, 11:14 PM
YES! They have completion, BIG TIME but the other thing is auto pay from Credit cards and bank accounts. I know that I only pay three bills a month by mail and I think that most people pay most of their bills over the internet. SO?:suspicious: I lost a letter in the mail a while back, had a birth certificated and a large check in it, have you ever tried to find a lost letter in the mail system, it's a nightmare I got Lucky Priority mail finally showed up 12 days later!

konakathy
05-11-2011, 11:51 PM
YES! They have completion, BIG TIME but the other thing is auto pay from Credit cards and bank accounts. I know that I only pay three bills a month by mail and I think that most people pay most of their bills over the internet. SO?:suspicious: I lost a letter in the mail a while back, had a birth certificated and a large check in it, have you ever tried to find a lost letter in the mail system, it's a nightmare I got Lucky Priority mail finally showed up 12 days later!

Billions of pieces of mail being generated daily, not uncommon for some to lose their way. Sounds like you were sending a passport application - wasn't there tracking on the Priority envelope?

Buster
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I lost a letter in the mail a while back, had a birth certificated and a large check in it,
Was it Obama's Long form?:laugh::D

nnuut
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Was it Obama's Long form?:laugh::D
11064:laugh: