PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I just registered and...

lowreturnsnomore
02-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi, I just registered and am interested in maximizing my TSP returns after 9 years of complacently sitting in G&F. With the expectation of 8 more years before retirement, I'd like to wise up while there is still a bit more time. Last 12 mo return was only 4.7%. Would like to learn the ins and outs and do much much better.
Thanks,
lowreturnsnomore

nasa1974
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi, I just registered and am interested in maximizing my TSP returns after 9 years of complacently sitting in G&F. With the expectation of 8 more years before retirement, I'd like to wise up while there is still a bit more time. Last 12 mo return was only 4.7%. Would like to learn the ins and outs and do much much better.
Thanks,
lowreturnsnomore

Welcome aboard. Some really smart people around here.

Intrepid_Timer
02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks,
lowreturnsnomore

Welcome to the board! That return is actually about what buy and holders have made in the last 10 years. Timing or trading is the name of the game in this era, how ever one choses to do that. Long term, short term, whatever. I wouldn't just jump into stocks and let it ride. Too much like rolling the dice. Do your research and pick a time to place your bets when the odds are in your favor, not the house (financial institutions, big money). I went home broke several times from Atlantic City by throwing good money after bad in my youth......;)

tsptalk
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Welcome lowreturnsnomore!! You've come to the right place.

lowreturnsnomore
02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Well, perhaps I did just jump in, but at least I made some changes today. As of yesterday, I changed my account distribution, as well as contribution allocations (10%) changed as follows: 20% L2050, 10% L2040, 20% G, 10% F, 20% C, and 20% S.

The I fund is represented in the L2050 & L2040 giving me at present about 8% overall in I, 22% in G, 12 % in F, 33% in C, and 25% in S.

Do you feel that I have made an error? I have not researched anything yet, just became dismayed at troubled at my lack of attention to TSP and the low returns. Also, age is catching up and I have to try to make up for lost time. I'm in CSRS and just changed, my contribution from 8% to 10% each pay period.

If anyone would care to comment, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
lowreturnsnomore

nnuut
02-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Welcome lowreturnsnomore, plenty more here that feel the same way.
Best of luck,:D
Norman

Frixxxx
02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Good luck, low....

You will do better heeding the advice of the experts here~!:cool:

Boghie
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
LowReturnsNoMore,

I just plugged in your G/F/C/S/I numbers into my super secret Quicken Asset Allocation tool. You are in a moderate allocation...

Expected Return: 7%
Expected Risk: 9%

What this means is that you can expect a return of between -2% through + 16% in any given year. Obviously, something like 2008/09 (or, possitively 2009 after March) would result in more standard deviations - but, those are out of the norm.

I, however, would be rather concerned about risk with an eight year horizon. Can you handle a couple of years of -2% return (not to mention a major dump). That does not necessarily mean bailing to bonds or cash. Maybe switch your S and I allocations. But, is Europe and Japan the place to be. And, the 'F Fund' is currently correcting out of a bubble. Yowser...

sdouglas3
02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Well, perhaps I did just jump in, but at least I made some changes today. As of yesterday, I changed my account distribution, as well as contribution allocations (10%) changed as follows: 20% L2050, 10% L2040, 20% G, 10% F, 20% C, and 20% S.

The I fund is represented in the L2050 & L2040 giving me at present about 8% overall in I, 22% in G, 12 % in F, 33% in C, and 25% in S.

Do you feel that I have made an error? I have not researched anything yet, just became dismayed at troubled at my lack of attention to TSP and the low returns. Also, age is catching up and I have to try to make up for lost time. I'm in CSRS and just changed, my contribution from 8% to 10% each pay period.

If anyone would care to comment, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
lowreturnsnomore

Welcome!

uscfanhawaii
02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Welcome, LRNM! Good time to be getting into stocks as we come out of the Great Recession. Lot's of smart people here....but you do need to color your decisions on your own situation! Good Luck!