PDA

View Full Version : Carrier video

James48843
01-05-2011, 12:29 AM
In case anyone is interested in seeing what the video was that got the Captain of that aircraft carrier fired- here is the link to the story and one of the videos-

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/01/navy-enterprise-more-xo-videos-surface-010411w/

I looked at it, and to tell you the truth, I can't see what the firing offense is.

But hey- that's just me.

It's pretty crappy humor, (not very funny, anyway) but bad humor certainly shouldn't be a firing offense, if you ask me.

Buster
01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Problem is Jim...Most people don't understand what it's like to be at sea for 6 to 9 months at a time..doing a 12 on and 12 off shift, 7 days a week..ANY kind of moral boost is appreciated by the crew and I can see where he as the XO at the time was trying to lighten the moods..I give him credit for that..On the other hand, the image is not too favorable to the average idiot taxpayer that think these sort of antics are unexceptable behavior and unbecoming for a commanding officer in light of todays sickening PCness...But I think the issue should have been addressed 5 years ago, not now..water under the keel..

Frankly..this is mild stuff compared to things that NAVY tradition embraces..Cross the Equator on a cruise and you'll know what I mean.:cool:

Any Shellbacks here?

Aviator_Guy
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Problem is Jim...Most people don't understand what it's like to be at sea for 6 to 9 months at a time..doing a 12 on and 12 off shift, 7 days a week..ANY kind of moral boost is appreciated by the crew and I can see where he as the XO at the time was trying to lighten the moods..I give him credit for that..On the other hand, the image is not too favorable to the average idiot taxpayer that think these sort of antics are unexceptable behavior and unbecoming for a commanding officer in light of todays sickening PCness...But I think the issue should have been addressed 5 years ago, not now..water under the keel..

Frankly..this is mild stuff compared to things that NAVY tradition embraces..Cross the Equator on a cruise and you'll know what I mean.:cool:

Any Shellbacks here?

I’m a Shellback too... LOL... And I agree that unless you know what it’s like to serve at sea for months on end, you really don’t get the full picture. Even other branches of the Military might not understand what its like. To keep our sanity, we were constantly joking around with each other, senior enlisted and officers included!!! BTW, I served on the USS Enterprise, ships company from Oct 1977 thru Dec 1981 (AIMD AQ2) and I also thought the video was actually pretty mild.

I also had some short sea tours of duty on the USS Ike, USS America, USS Forrestal, USS Roosevelt, etc off the east coast / med... AIMD AWM-23 / AN/AWG 9 Radar Tech Rep (GS11 Civilian Tech Rep 85-92)... NAESU... Naval Aviation Engineering Service Unit... F-14 Tomcat... “Anytime Baby”... LOL:cool::cool:

James48843
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I agree- as an XO, I think what he was doing was showing he was caring about those serving. I think of it as a positive- not a negative.

Except for the fact that the humor wasn't that funny.

Much ado about nothing.

Too bad a good sailor got the short end of that deal.

Viva_La_Migra
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree- as an XO, I think what he was doing was showing he was caring about those serving. I think of it as a positive- not a negative.

Except for the fact that the humor wasn't that funny.

Much ado about nothing.

Too bad a good sailor got the short end of that deal.
I'm sure I'll get rebuked for this, but I believe this is the policy of your Commander In Chief at work. PC run amuck.

nnuut
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Trying to control thousands of people working on a ship for Months at sea must be a hell of a job. The biggie is trying to discourage having sexual relations aboard ship. I think this was an attempt on his part to control an uncontrollable situation. 10427

Show-me
01-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Marine's have done much worse, I should know. PC bull$hit is ruining a good service members career and we need all we can get.