PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Kaufmanrider
12-25-2010, 08:18 AM
After months of reading and watching I have decided to jump right in and get involved with some active trading. I have been in TSP for 20 years. I was all C fund early on took a beating in 2000 and again in 2008. Got spooked and went conservative (L-Fund). Kind of missed on the rebound somewhat, I still averaged 9.5% so far in 2010. But I could have done much better. So here I am, ready to get better returns. Gotta bump my account up as I can retire in a couple years, but I could also stay 10 more to mandatory at 57. My TSP account balance may determine when I go. I have FERS Special Retirement.

Nate
12-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Welcome!
While there is room to the up (and downside), +9% is nothing to sneeze at....I came down from 12% to 9% before cutting my losses & still considering it a successful year. Anything better than the G Fund's 2.76% YTD is an accomplishment in my book.

As far as retirement, Ive heard if you work beyond your 20 years, your pension increases almost exponentially....but im military, so no expert on federal benefits.

tsptalk
12-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome Kaufmanrider! I think your goals and objectective are similar to many of ours. Good luck and thanks for joining us!

Kaufmanrider
12-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome!

As far as retirement, Ive heard if you work beyond your 20 years, your pension increases almost exponentially....but im military, so no expert on federal benefits.

Actually no. Under the special retirement of FERS I receive 1.7% of my high three pay per year of service for the first 20 years. Twenty years equals 34%. After 20, I only receive 1% for each additional year of service. And because I am under the special retirement, I pay a higher contribution toward my retirement, but even though after 20 my retirement percentage decreases, I continue to pay the higher contribution.

I bought back my military, 6 years, so in 2 1/2 years I'll have 25 years, plus my 6 military. 31 years total. That equals 45%. Doesn't sound to good, but I'd get a social security payment of about 62% of my full social security amount until I turn 63 when I'd get full social security. A monthly check from my TSP is the third prong of my retirement. The more I have in TSP, and the better annual returns, the more I can get monthly and still keep my TSP growing somewhat.