PDA

View Full Version : New and learning

ozzyman
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Well My name is Mike and I have been Active duty Air Force since 2002. I started investing in TSP back in 05, I think I was doing 5%? I think I was throwing it all in the 2040 fund and had no clue about the market and the other funds... Learned a lot along the way through the internet and what not and pulled my funds out of 2040 earlier this year and placed them into the C and S funds...

I lost a lot of money back in 06/07, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So Far my 12 month returns are 29% and I think with the info I've learned here I can finally take control of my retirement investment and really play this market. I've quite enjoyed the ride this year with the C and S fund but I'm starting to get a bit skeptical about just how far they will go, especially the S fund.

I have 4 kids so I'm really struggling to make large contributions, that and I had to pull a loan out earlier this year against my TSP to purchase a second vehicle after my son was born(we needed third row seating and I couldn;t get a second auto loan). the deployment I'm currently on pays very well, and is paying off 100% of my debt other than my mortgage. After this deployment I'm stepping up to 10% contributions and working my way to 15% after that. I'm rebounding fast using the info I've learned here.

Anyways that's me in a nut shell

tsptalk
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Welcome ozzyman! Thanks for joining us.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Good luck!

nnuut
12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Looks like you have a good start ozzyman, keep up the good work!
Best of luck.:D
Norman