PDA

View Full Version : Posted Before but Really Gave No Intro

ConAirMan
12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I am currently closing in on 25 yrs in law enforcement at age 49 (retirement eligible) but plan on working a few more years (more I guess if they screw with our retirement like I am seeing). I am currently totally invested in the L2020 (don't care for the I fund part) because even though I like to read and do research I am kind of chicken when it comes to making moves because I have been burned before. A friend of mine recommened this site and I love it. The sentiment survey looks good to me and I noticed it avoids the I fund. The one thing I wonder at my age and desire to retire in a few years if I should get gutsy and start playing again? One of the few moves I got right was getting out before the big crash a couple years back. Any advice/ suggestions from the board guru's?:confused:

KevinD
12-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Your story is similar to mine...except I'm a postal employee. I've been pretty lucky that I haven't dome myself more harm.

I figure I'll out live my TSP unless I learn to make better use of my IFT's. Thats what keeps me trying to figure this whole thing out.

Good luck and Welcome! :)

Boghie
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
StevS,

CongressCritters and Administrations cannot directly play games with the assets in your TSP account. Your TSP account is like Gore's 'Lockbox'. It is absolutely yours. No one jiggers it.

The pension portion of your retirement is another matter. I think they can change the internal computations even for those already retired. And, in this economic climate with ignit right wing bombasts (I'm one, but I'm not ignit - I hope:p) still screaming that we have big pensions with free medical insurance you can expect some jiggering. These folks (Hedgecock, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc) still think we are on the CSRS system. If you have been hired after 1984 you don't get free medical insurance and you don't get a large pension.

Finally, I would talk to a good financial planner. You seem very risk adverse. It might be smart to have more risk in TSP if you have very little risk in other assets. Then again, if you don't have assets outside of TSP than it might send you to the dog food sales counter. Definitely spend some money on a financial advisor (I like Ray Lucia's and Ric Edelman's radio shows and books and they have offices all over).

tsptalk
12-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Welcome SteveS!

Is there a better feeling than selling right before a crash? :)

If you decide to 'make moves' the I-fund will eventually come into play. If you decide to be a buy and holder, the I-fund is also useful (and the L2020 already has you there.)

The Sentiment Survey does not use the I-fund, as you mentioned, mostly because after a lot of back-testing, the S fund performed better, but there will be times when the I-fund is a better choice, particularly if the weakness in the dollar persists.

Please thank your friend for me, for recommending TSP Talk. I appreciate that. We're glad you and your friend are here!