PDA

View Full Version : Getting Nervous about Continuing Irresolution

Silverbird
11-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't want to get caught with my pockets empty like last time. Seriously considering pulling the trigger and taking out a TSP loan so I don't max out the plastic. Worry wort or real worry?

Buster
11-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't want to get caught with my pockets empty like last time. Seriously considering pulling the trigger and taking out a TSP loan so I don't max out the plastic. Worry wort or real worry?
Worry-wort!..In the end you'll still need to pay back your TSP + interest and so the hole would get even deeper at the end of the day...Hang tough..I've been at the brink of these continual resolutions for 36 years..things alway have a way of working out..;)

Steadygain
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM

My guess is you're on the higher end of the Federal Scale - probably a 13 mid range or already a step 10. I know you're super smart and based on the extent of your potiential you've got to be way up there.

The Greatest Problem you face is directly based on where you live. The cost of living in your area -- your home and neighborhood and surrounding area is largely unsustainable without huge wealth or huge debt.

I would usually NEVER recommend taking out a TSP loan -- but you are not like the 99%. You got your home when things were good and no one could have expected 'THIS' to happen and to go on forever and keep going.

I would say getting your credit card debt DOWN is the best place to start and (in your case) the TSP Loan would be far better -- mainly and only because I trust you -- to know what you're doing.

I wish you could relocate near me -- if only you could enjoy the country -- but you're a city girl and some things just can't be changed.

Good luck !!

Steadygain
11-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't want to get caught with my pockets empty like last time.

Well -- I'm a little ways for you to come ....

and most of my ideas stem from Birch going 'broke' ....

BUT --- I guess I could do the same for you say up to $1,000

So treating you 'equal' to him. I'll drive around and find like 5 people gathered in a group on the street -- and they are all over the place...

Well anyway -- you go over to them with a clipboard and with great enthusiaum (sp) tell them there is a new club you've formed and you're looking to sign as many members up as possible. Then tell them these people were born the way they are and it was not their decision and you think it's time to give them the support they need. Assure them it's a legitimate club and their names will be listed in the newspaper along with all the others who have signed to show their support.

Then try to get them to sign. The paper will have in big bold letters Transvestite Club -- or if they ask -- you tell them that 'excitedly'

I'd give ya $200 for that. I really would.

Anyway -- shoot -- you'd make a thousand in no time -- I have you go in different stores and do things

Well whatever -- I'm here to help if ya ever need it and you're around my turf...

Boghie
11-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Its going to be very tough if there is a Gubmint shutdown. I hadn't figured on that. I've been paying down debt like a big dog so I could handle the scheduled tax increase. That means I don't have much in savings. Add to that a gubmint shutdown and no pay. I've recently got kinda cocky - a spanking like that would have me reading my signature line again.:p

Yowser...

If you get a TSP loan you will only have to pay a small chunk of it back every month. You can keep the balance sitting in a savings account. If there is no shutdown than pay it all back. Then the only expense will be lost earnings and the small interest payment. Might be a good option. And, as Steady says - you have a head on your shoulder.

His transvestite club is another matter:o

Yowser, Part II...:nuts:

PessOptimist
11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I was actually thinking about this and asked management about it at our Monday morning meeting. Coworkers started making comments and jokes, management never commented and the boss of all bosses (under manager level) said "that's it, have a good week".

Guess I'm asking questions I shouldn't.:worried:

I do hope there is no shutdown or furlough. If it happens I hope everyone can "hang tough" and not borrow money in any form. Running credit card balances is included in my definition of borrowing. Basic needs only. Food, utilities, gas, mortgage.

Apologies to Maslow. I looked the pyramid up just now and boy has it changed since I learned about it. Maybe I learned it wrong. Maybe the ability to watch ET or DWTS belongs at the bottom.:D

I do find it interesting that the budget is so far off radar.

Best of luck.

Steel_Magnolia
11-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I remember last time we went through this silliness for long enough that some missed a payday, after everyone went back to work the gov't offered to send letters to mortgage holders if any of us were late with the mortgage. Gee, thanks, that's really swell of you.

No mention of being sorry if anyone had to live on peanut butter sandwiches without the peanut butter. :rolleyes:

Yeah PO, it's tough to make it past basic needs all the way to self-awareness when politicians keep monkeying with our careful plans. :suspicious:

alevin
11-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Indeed, that's why I do my song and dance every now and then here aboutgetting the matching 5% first, and after getting that done, then pay down the credit cards, once that's done, you'll have the free cash flow to sock away into 3-6 month emergency fund.

After that begin paying down the mortgage principal or work at maxing the Roth, whichever makes more sense-depends how much interest you're paying on the mortgage, I guess.

I was paying 6.625 on a 30 year fixed with 20% down, got it paid off in 7 years by staying withe 5% into TSP during those years, now I've got that cash flow going into emergency fund (rebuilt), putting $ into Roth annually.

Finally forced myself to go to the 15% line in TSP a few months ago-a lot less takehome, but I got the emergency fund built so should be ok in shutdown-as long as they don't shutter the banks and limit withdrawals. then we're all sunk.

burrocrat
11-27-2010, 09:08 AM
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_6490dada-01c9-5eea-8bad-b93a1dcdc9bf.html

"I don't see the point in holding a holiday honoring an Italian who got lost looking for India and didn't discover an already inhabited country."

and so it begins, those were some nice benefits we used to enjoy, before the people rose up and said work for it like the rest of us.