PDA

View Full Version : Postal Contracts

James48843
11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Contract talks extended for some postal workers

Nov 21, 2:12 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Negotiators for the United States Postal Service (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) and the American Postal Workers Union agreed early Sunday to extend contract talks until noon Tuesday.
However talks (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) with a second union, the National Rural Letter Carriers Association, ended in an impasse at midnight Saturday. The next step will likely be sending the matter to a third party arbitrator to hammer out contract terms and work rules.

The employees of both unions will continue to work (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) under the terms their expired contracts. Federal law prohibits postal workers from striking when negotiations stall.

More: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html

pogo
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Contract talks extended for some postal workers

Nov 21, 2:12 AM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Negotiators for the United States Postal Service (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) and the American Postal Workers Union agreed early Sunday to extend contract talks until noon Tuesday.
However talks (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) with a second union, the National Rural Letter Carriers Association, ended in an impasse at midnight Saturday. The next step will likely be sending the matter to a third party arbitrator to hammer out contract terms and work rules.

The employees of both unions will continue to work (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html#) under the terms their expired contracts. Federal law prohibits postal workers from striking when negotiations stall.

More: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20101121/D9JKCCG80.html

was with some of the union guys and the word is cautionly optimisitc but they are talking in areas that they have never negotiatied in before, they wouldn't explain or wanted to get into details

Buster
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Postal Service to cut 7,500 jobs, close offices

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Postal Service said on Thursday it would cut 7,500 jobs and close seven district offices and 2,000 post offices ...the Postal Service would close 2,000 post offices around the United States over the next 12 months, while eliminating the 7,500 jobs.
As of the end of January, the agency employed 583,000 people.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42256357/ns/business-us_business/?GT1=43001

grandma
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Somehow I missed seeing there is this thread - following is what I just posted over at Gumby's place:
Today's mail included a survey from USPS for me to fill out, including how often & for what purposes I used our small local PostOffice. They also want to know how much & what kind of business is done within this local community vs outside. We are on the `potential closing' list. We've been considered before, but this is the first time we've gotten this close. Our hours were cut several years ago to only 3 hours... Interestingly, they did it just when the new road cut thru to the Mall - & people were stopping to do postal business only to find the place closed. ...sad...
The Home Delivery box units on the street don't give me a feeling of being secure, and the individual boxes are hardly big enough to hold a magazine. To get to the next PO, is a drive through an intersection that has been given the dubious honor of `one of the most dangerous in Arkansas.' No one, anywhere, wants their particular PO closed down ....
And, jeepers, they just built ours! - well, seems that way, anyhow - 1993.

Bquat
03-25-2011, 12:06 AM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Postal Service said on Thursday it would cut 7,500 jobs and close seven district offices and 2,000 post offices ...the Postal Service would close 2,000 post offices around the United States over the next 12 months, while eliminating the 7,500 jobs.

For those retiring this year, this can delay your final retirement being figured out and the start of you SSA suppliment. It may add up two or more months ( to the current 6 to 8), so have more money ready to carry you through te delay untill then.

konakathy
03-25-2011, 04:03 AM

Most districts that will be merged are on the East Coast and jobs that will be abolished are EAS at this time and probably some clerks. The managers are getting a $20,000 incentive to say adios! Just us ol' pack mules (letter carriers) will be the last group to be affected. :(

James48843
03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Somehow I missed seeing there is this thread - following is what I just posted over at Gumby's place:
Today's mail included a survey from USPS for me to fill out, including how often & for what purposes I used our small local PostOffice. They also want to know how much & what kind of business is done within this local community vs outside. We are on the `potential closing' list. We've been considered before, but this is the first time we've gotten this close. Our hours were cut several years ago to only 3 hours... Interestingly, they did it just when the new road cut thru to the Mall - & people were stopping to do postal business only to find the place closed. ...sad...
The Home Delivery box units on the street don't give me a feeling of being secure, and the individual boxes are hardly big enough to hold a magazine. To get to the next PO, is a drive through an intersection that has been given the dubious honor of `one of the most dangerous in Arkansas.' No one, anywhere, wants their particular PO closed down ....

Hoiw many people does this post office serve?

Show-me
03-25-2011, 07:32 AM
This thread was not here yesterday.

You guys don't have the whole story.

Delivery will not be affected at all, just management.

Post Offices will not be closed, just administrative offices.

Craft employee's are big time short handed due to last years VERA/bonus and attrition. We have been on a hiring freeze and a withholding due to excessing people for over staffed offices to under staffed offices. We are to the point now that we actually need to hire people in some offices due to the lack of help. I know my small office has 8 open city routes and about 18% of our clerk jobs are vacant. Hard to make good performance with that many missing.

Craft employee's have right sized themselves but management is now lagging and they started doing the right thing. Consolidate districts.

Five day service will be next if they can get the public and Congress to play along.

Show-me
03-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Here is the problem with these small offices.

Remember the Maytag repair man? We, the Postal Service as a company, have hundreds of very small Post Offices that are manned with just a Postmaster making $60,000 a year plus benefits and they sell three books of stamps a week. Close the office and transfer them to a vacent position, they will get save grade for two years and the oportunity to bid on a same grade job or just stay in a lower grade job. Point will be they will have to move to a job and become productive again instead of sitting there surfing the web, visiting with non-customers, or watching TV all day.

In addition we normally do not own the offices and are over pay for a lease due to the Association of United States Postal Lessors, who have joined together to maximize their profit and in many cases totally neglect maintenance on their facilities.

Security of the mail will not change and we all take any theft of mail so serous that we have a agency solely dedicated to finding and prosecuting anyone who would be stupid enough to do it.

crws
03-25-2011, 03:39 PM
This thread was not here yesterday.

You guys don't have the whole story.

Delivery will not be affected at all, just management.

Post Offices will not be closed, just administrative offices.

Craft employee's are big time short handed due to last years VERA/bonus and attrition. We have been on a hiring freeze and a withholding due to excessing people for over staffed offices to under staffed offices. We are to the point now that we actually need to hire people in some offices due to the lack of help. I know my small office has 8 open city routes and about 18% of our clerk jobs are vacant. Hard to make good performance with that many missing.

Craft employee's have right sized themselves but management is now lagging and they started doing the right thing. Consolidate districts.

Five day service will be next if they can get the public and Congress to play along.

USPS REDESIGN CONTINUES
PMG ANNOUNCES CLOSING OF SEVEN DISTRICTS
I am confident we have developed a strong plan that takes a key step toward a leaner and less bureaucratic structure.

As part of the ongoing redesign of the Postal Service, PMG Pat Donahoe yesterday announced USPS will close 7 of its 74 district offices. This reflects continuing alignments within the organization to achieve core business strategies and, when fully implemented, will help realize approximately $750 million of annual cost savings.

The district offices scheduled for closure — Columbus, OH, (Eastern Area); Southeast Michigan in Troy, MI, and Northern Illinois in Carol Stream, IL (Great Lakes Area); Southeast New England in Providence, RI (Northeast Area); South Georgia in Macon, GA, and Albuquerque in Albuquerque, NM (Southwest Area); and Big Sky in Billings, MT (Western Area) — house only administrative functions that will be assumed by surrounding district offices. The closures will not affect customer service, mail delivery, Post Office operations or ZIP codes.

“I am confident we have developed a strong plan that takes a key step toward a leaner and less bureaucratic structure. One that is fair to our employees and one that will meet the future needs of our customers and the mailing industry,” said Donahoe.

This organizational redesign builds on previous PMG announcements that include a 16 percent reduction in officer ranks, realigning revenue-generating business units, closing the Southeast Area Office, and further reducing the employee complement by about 7,500 positions.

While yesterday’s announcement focused on the administrative and executive corps, additional staff reductions will occur as the Postal Service makes necessary changes to its network and retail operations. The full scope and financial impact of these personnel actions should be realized in one calendar year — by March 2012.

crws
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Part 2

MARCH 23, 2011
LINK EXTRA
PMG ANNOUNCES REDESIGNED POSTAL SERVICE
VOLUNTARY EARLY RETIREMENT, INCENTIVE PROGRAMS OFFERED

Postmaster General Pat Donahoe today announced a newly redesigned Postal Service, one that is better positioned for growth, reflects further alignment within the organization to achieve core business strategies and, when fully implemented, by March 2012, will eliminate almost $750 million in costs to the organization.

“Over the past 8 weeks, we have been taking a careful look at our internal structure — the way we position our people — and determining the best way to align the organization to succeed in a more competitive world,” said Donahoe. “We also have been making some tough but necessary decisions that will enable us to better meet the needs of our employees, our customers and the American public.”

Donahoe said a strong plan has been developed that will result in a leaner, less bureaucratic structure that creates greater efficiencies among managerial and administrative functions.

The announced redesign reduces administrative layers and achieves a 20 percent reduction in authorized administrative office complement and Postal Career Executive Service (PCES) positions.

Seven districts will be closing. A general announcement identifying the districts will be made March 24, after employees in those districts are notified.

Voluntary Early Retirement (VER) and financial incentive programs will be offered to eligible career non-bargaining employees in targeted groups at Headquarters, Headquarters-related Field Units, Area Offices and Customer Service District Offices (Administrative).

* The incentive program is $20,000 and is offered on a first come, first-served basis to eligible employees who choose to leave on the May 31, 2011, effective date through a VER, optional retirement or voluntary resignation. The incentive will be paid in two equal payments of $10,000 distributed in November 2011 and November 2012.

* To be eligible for the incentive, employees must begin the optional retirement process or submit voluntary resignation by the deadline of April 25, 2011. The same date, April 25, also is the irrevocability date for employees who accept the VER offer.

* Disability retirements and Federal Transfers are not eligible for the incentive. Employees in a probationary status as of March 23, 2011, are not eligible.

* Employees already in progress as of March 23, 2011, for optional retirement or voluntary resignation with a scheduled retirement or separation date on or before May 31, 2011, will be permitted to retire or separate on the scheduled date and be eligible for the incentive.

* Further details of the VER and incentive programs will be available on the Organizational Change website.

Donahoe said employees will be given comprehensive information to help them make the best decisions about their future. “I know change can be challenging,” he said. “I thank all of our employees for their continued dedication and focus on continuing to provide high levels of customer service while the organizational redesign proceeds.”

Efforts in the coming weeks and months will help the Postal Service become a leaner, faster and smarter organization, Donahoe said. “The redesign will improve our financial situation, ensure that we are better able to compete for customers, and provide greater value and service to the American public.”

crws
03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
and our contract highlights, note the re-integration and priority of bargaining unit employees' return to resume contractor-appointed positions.

Highlights of the New Collective Bargaining Agreement (http://apwu.org/news/nsb/2011/nsb01-110314-contract-tentative.htm#hls)

burrocrat
03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
i get along good with my postmaster and she is a tough gal, runs a tight ship, i don't think she slacks much.

i'm sure there are many hardworking admin employees too in the rif'd districts. i bet both the unproductive and the superstars might find the offer enticing, some might not but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
or
what i really like is that anouncement crws posted, clearly written and to the point, here is the deal, we're doing this for good reasons, 20% of you sh*t or git, you have 30 days to make up your mind. sweet.

clearly an organization that intends to remain competetive, viable, get the job done. can you imagine offering the same choice to say, all Dept. of Interior, or even wisconsin teachers? you'd be argueing about the right to do it for 2 yrs before you ever got a chance to do it.

20% over multiple districts, cut to survive, take it up front and then let's get moving, get ready fed folks we're going to have to follow that lead, one way or the other.

crws
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM
With this announcement @ the top heavy area, and a fair, non-arbitrated contract emphasizing employees instead of contactors, Pat Donahoe gets http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/icons/icon14.gif so far from me!
A glimmer of hope emerges-

Show-me
03-26-2011, 05:48 AM
With this announcement @ the top heavy area, and a fair, non-arbitrated contract emphasizing employees instead of contactors, Pat Donahoe gets http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.tsptalk.com/mb/images/icons/icon14.gif so far from me!
A glimmer of hope emerges-

I also think PMG Donahoe and President Guffey both get it.

konakathy
09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.naps.org/index.php/news/usps_major_announcement_rescheduled

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/business/in-internet-age-postal-service-struggles-to-stay-solvent-and-relevant.html

so, maybe by the end of september i might be sleeping on the beach and

holding a sign on the corner " will work for food"

nah! it'll say "why lie... i need a mai tai"

polarbear
09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
The postal service situation is similar to state and local govts, where it has gotten nasty and keeps people nervous. I heard a proposal to drop delivery down to 5 or 4 days a week, leaving out Sat and/or Wed. Anway, regarding state govt, my wife and I are counting the days before she can retire, like 2 1/2 yrs, that's really a long time in which they can do anything. God forbid. Stress is bad for your health.

KevinD
09-06-2011, 06:19 AM
What would I do if this thing really did collapse? :worried:

FAB1
09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Hmmm all sounds good but we should have never gotten to this point in the first place. The gov and PO thought money grew on trees I guess.