PDA

View Full Version : New Texan in DC Area

fcharles81
11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Hello.
I don't know if anyone is gonna read this but I figure I should tell a little about my self since I've been checking everything out on this site for about a month now.

I'm a native Texan from San Antonio. I'm a hispanic and have been in the military for 10 years now. I've got a wife of 8 years and two boys and a dog.

I never really knew anything about saving or investing. My parents who were pretty poor just made enough to take care of their 7 seven children. I joined the military when I was 18 and it has opened up a new world of opportunity for me. When I heard about TSP i didn't really give it much thought, but now as I get older I wish I would have started sooner.

My goal is to be pretty comfortable when I retire. I realize that military pay is not going to make me wealthy, but it's worth a shot. lol I want to maximize my profits and maybe someday teach my family and friends the same. We weren't coached in finances as children or teens so maybe I change change that.

Thanks TSP Talk!

Steel_Magnolia
11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Welcome fcharles! This is a great place to find information and we're a friendly bunch too. My best advice would be to read all the posts here that you have time to read.

Good luck!
Maggie

nnuut
11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the Message Board plenty to learn and this is the place to do it. Remember to contribute all that you can afford the payoff is when you retire, the more the better. Read, read and ask questions you will get lots of advise but remember advise is just that make your own decisions.
Best of Luck
Norman
fcharles81

PessOptimist
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Welcome fcharles.

The fact you are contributing to TSP and are here says a lot about your planning for the future. Good luck with that comfortable retirement goal. Wish I had started getting serious about it at the 10 year point in my military career. Invest what you can afford or a little more. Read everything. There is a lot of good information here about TSP and investments in other places.

If you don't mnd sharing, what branch of the military and what's your job?

FWIW I spent 20+ years in the Air Force in the communications/electronics area.

tsptalk
11-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome fcharles! I'm glad you found us.

fcharles81
11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Welcome fcharles.

If you don't mnd sharing, what branch of the military and what's your job?

FWIW I spent 20+ years in the Air Force in the communications/electronics area.

Thanks for all the friendly hellos. I'm really glad i found this site and I appreciate any and all advice.

I'm serving in the Army and also in the field of communications.

fcharles81
11-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Does anyone do FOREX trading on here? That's something I'm considering looking in to. Thanks all

Birchtree
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
If anyone can do it, Frixxx is your man because he can.

fcharles81
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
If anyone can do it, Frixxx is your man because he can.

Awesome. Im really liking this forum, you guys actually respond and it seems like a tight group.

2moryrs
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Belated welcome to the site! It is a great site and I like that they now have a facebook page.

Good reading here and i like what was said about the advice, read it and make your own decisions. You have lots of time to grow your funds so now is the time to learn and experiment.

Afishegg
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome Fccharles, From a fellow Texan. Dallas/Ft worth area.

As far as maximizing your returns, I would say go to the Tsp.gov website and look at the historical returns on the different tsp funds, and watch the folks at the top of the Autotracker. I believe intrepid has a text message alert for those that wanna follow him and move when he moves.

Have fun and don't let it bother you when you "lose" on some days. A smart man once said "The market goes up and it goes down....But.....it'll go back up"...... ;)

-Fish-

fcharles81
12-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Welcome Fccharles, From a fellow Texan. Dallas/Ft worth area.

Have fun and don't let it bother you when you "lose" on some days. A smart man once said "The market goes up and it goes down....But.....it'll go back up"...... ;)

-Fish-

Thanks for the advice Fish