PDA

View Full Version : Possible TSP Rollover to Roth IRA

resman75
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey guys I'm pretty new to investing for retirement and have finally decided to get serious about it. On to my question though. I recently transitioned from active duty to the reserves and still have my service related TSP account with about 5400 buck in there. I am contemplating rolling over the funds into a Vanguard Roth IRA. Is this a wise move?

The reason I want to do this is because next week I start my Civil Service job and will open a TSP account associated to my civil service. I want to maximize my future earnings as much as possible. I just turned 35 as well and am aware I wasted an awful amount of investment time. I look forward to all your advice and thank you in advance.

JTH
11-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey guys I'm pretty new to investing for retirement and have finally decided to get serious about it. On to my question though. I recently transitioned from active duty to the reserves and still have my service related TSP account with about 5400 buck in there. I am contemplating rolling over the funds into a Vanguard Roth IRA. Is this a wise move?

The reason I want to do this is because next week I start my Civil Service job and will open a TSP account associated to my civil service. I want to maximize my future earnings as much as possible. I just turned 35 as well and am aware I wasted an awful amount of investment time. I look forward to all your advice and thank you in advance.

Are you sure they will be giving you an additional separate TSP account?

radionightster
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM

In the IRA & Retirement sub-forum a lot of people talk about rolling their TSP into their Roth IRA. It's basically a back-door to put a lot more funds into the Roth, since it doesn't count towards your contributions.

garnertr
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a question on this same topic; My question is I have a investment account (ING) and want to move my enter TSP into my investment account. I would like to know do I go through TSP or my investment site? I'm looking over the TSP.GOV site and I'm just not seeing anything on that option.

Basically, I'm done w/ the military (retired) and I want to move my money into a safe investment vehicle maybe a roth ira? :)

Has anyone done this? Thanks!