PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

James48843
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Television host quits in dispute over mocking name

– Tue Oct 12, 12:59 pm ET

WELLINGTON (Reuters) – A New Zealand television host has quit after sparking a diplomatic row when he ridiculed the name of Sheila Dikshit, the chief minister of the Indian capital, New Delhi.

Television station TVNZ came under heavy criticism after its "Breakfast" show host Paul Henry mispronounced Dikshit, despite being told by the lead anchor that it is pronounced "Dixit."

India summoned New Zealand's high commissioner on Thursday to formally protest against what it said were "racial remarks" involving Dikshit who was asked last month to take charge of the floundering Commonwealth Games preparations.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said on Monday that Henry had resigned after several hundred complaints to the broadcaster regarding his Dikshit comments and questioning whether the nation's Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand, who is of Indian descent, was "even a New Zealander."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101012/od_nm/us_games_tv_quit

Steadygain
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Television host quits in dispute over mocking name

I feel sorry for the guy and I wish 'politics' were not so deeply saturated in almost every aspect of our lives.

With every possible 'opportunity' their NEED to make themselves known continues to dominate almost every event we hear about.

Here - in the same consistent NEED to declare their power and recognition and force the world at large to see them as strong and able and make 'an image' while they can.

Chile miners resuced - President is there giving hugs as though he's been super tight and their 'family'.

AZ makes genuine effort to address a huge problem by which they have long been incredibly suspectible. MEXICO guy cuddles up with Obama on the whitehouse lawn and strives to put everyone in 'awe'.

That stuff is simply too woven in the fabric of society (everywhere) to not be subjected to some garbage attack - even an 'innocent one' like I believe he (she) made.

BUT --- look at the 'good side' and find the 'silver lining' in this (and other) dark clouds.

Things are getting better - and as the months and years go on the world is getting increasingly BETTER and relationships are getting stronger throughout the country and between all people. Trust is replacing 'mistrust' and everyone is gaining a much deeper and more genuine respect for one another compared to say 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.

Now we know the doors will be opened for the ladies, and children will respect their elders, TV Stations and the Movie Industry will guard against inappropriate material and even the 'internet' is a cleaner world.

Honesty and Integrity - are increasingly becoming the grounding of corporate, political, and everyday social interactions.

When I saw the title 'What's in a name'?

I could only think of ONE - the name that is above all others - the name by which everything was brought into being and by which all things are held together. The name by which someday every knee will bow and every tongue confess.

Steel_Magnolia
10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
He shouldn't have had to quit. Because the station should have fired him.

Maggie

Steadygain
10-18-2010, 08:34 AM

Maggie

Perhaps you're right.

Maybe responding with intollerance to a mispronounced name - especially a name like 'Dikshit' should not only have him 'fired' but also include him being 'barred' from broadcasting altogether.

If throwing the man (and his family) into poverty - and to being homeless and hungry - diseased and dying - would in some manner allow Sheila, the chief minister of the Indian capital, New Delhi - to have some degree of 'satisfaction' -- then she gained some reward and hopefully her life and the lives of others would be better.

Buster
10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Good thing her name wasn't spelled like..dickens cider

2fGhtfmZPi0&feature=related

alevin
10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Perhaps you're right.

Maybe responding with intollerance to a mispronounced name - especially a name like 'Dikshit' should not only have him 'fired' but also include him being 'barred' from broadcasting altogether.

If throwing the man (and his family) into poverty - and to being homeless and hungry - diseased and dying - would in some manner allow Sheila, the chief minister of the Indian capital, New Delhi - to have some degree of 'satisfaction' -- then she gained some reward and hopefully her life and the lives of others would be better.

Steady, I think you might have missed part of the story. The mispronunciation was intentional, and he continued to intentionally mock racial-ethnic-differences in other ways also and encourage others to do so also, before he was shut down. should he not be held accountable for intentional insults that do nothing positive?

Birchtree
10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
If I were her inorder to eliminate any other mispronounciations I'd change my name to Dipshit.

Steadygain
10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Television station TVNZ came under heavy criticism after its "Breakfast" show host Paul Henry mispronounced Dikshit

I thought it was an honest mistake - and that the public over-reacted and all the more was bothered at the thought that attacks against 'an innocent man' were 'politically motivated'. :mad:

Steady, I think you might have missed part of the story.

The mispronunciation was intentional, and he continued to intentionally mock racial-ethnic-differences in other ways also and encourage others to do so also, before he was shut down. should he not be held accountable for intentional insults that do nothing positive?

Alevie, and all others, I had no idea - no clue about the details.

I BELIEVE:
1. Cutting off someone's nose because they are 'female'
2. Forcing people to the back of the bus because of their skin color
3. Forcing people to deal with the worse conditions and openly barring them from numerous 'public facilities' because of their 'RACE'
4. Forcing a population like Iran to live in bare survival and essentially forcing them to be 'slaves' to foreign Oil Companies - who rob their country of their Nation's Resource - and leave them with nothing
5. Deliberating hiding thousands of 'documents' showing how a WAR had been planned and carried out - that the sole purpose was merely to show the world - we can kill and destroy as long as we want and have an 'open war' - go on and on. Totally established with knowing 'innocent native' people would be slaughtered and viewed as evil and bad.
6. That 'good hearted' - wonderful people of incredible 'integrity' are despised - ridiculed - ganged up on ---

-- simply because they chose 1 of 2 political parties when they registered to vote -- not to be maliously -- but simply to have the right to vote.

7. That to make a point of 'trashing' - 'humiliating' - and publicly degrading a young waitress - who 'was genuinely thrilled to vote for the first time'

I BELIEVE ALL OF THESE ARE WRONG.

Alevie, - and all, I hope you know me better than that.

I could care less about the color of someone's skin. BUT if a person goes out of their way to 'Politically Discredit Him/Her' because of their race.

'Then I will say something'

I could care less about what 'Party' they belong to. BUT if a person goes out of their way to declare anyone of 'this party' OR 'that party' is UNFIT to represent the 'people at large'

'Then I will say something'

I BELIEVE HATRED AND INTOLLERANCE AND A DEEP GENUINE RESENTMENT AGAINST ANY PERSON (OR GROUP OF PEOPLE) - BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE, NATIONALITY, GENDER, RELIGION....

IS WRONG -- IT IS ALWAYS WRONG!!

Steadygain
10-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Maggie

Maggie,

I'm sorry -- I totally misunderstood. :embarrest:

He should be 'fired' and maybe more - I hope his heart changes and his life reflects the love and understanding it's meant to reflect.

Steady

Steadygain
10-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Good thing her name wasn't spelled like..dickens cider

This was 'outstanding' Buster - :D:laugh:

It made me think of a few.

National News anchor asks a question for the viewers to consider:
'Is the Prime Minister - Putin'?

Many in the Southeasten - South USA -- would hear that as:

'Is the Prime Minister pootin'? :sick:

Now let's say there is a King by the name of Yondeer.

News anchor asks the same kind of question - to be thought provoking.

'Is the King - Yondeer'

Everyone in West Virginia and probably neighboring states would hear:

'Is the King yonder'? :confused: