PDA

View Full Version : FEHB Health Premiums up

James48843
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
FEHB Health Premiums up next year-
(by the way- 7.2% increase is the lowest in a long time).
------------------------------------------------------

Feds' health insurance premiums to increase 7.2 percent

By Emily Long elong@govexec.co (elong@govexec.co) October 1, 2010

The average amount federal employees pay for their health insurance plans will rise 7.2 percent in 2011, the Office of Personnel Management (http://topics.govexec.com/Office+of+Personnel+Management/) announced on Friday.

The upcoming premium increase for plans in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (http://topics.govexec.com/Federal+Employees+Health+Benefits+Program/) is less than the 8.8 percent rise participants experienced in 2010, despite a range of new benefits to be added, according to OPM Director John Berry. (http://topics.govexec.com/John+Berry/)

The total average premium increase for FEHBP plans will be 7.3 percent, or $27.10 per pay period, OPM said. Of that amount, the government will increase its contribution to employees' health care costs by $18.86 per pay period, or 7.3 percent. That leaves federal workers with an average increase of $8.24 in their premiums, or 7.2 percent.

More info at: http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=46245&dcn=todaysnews

Note:The average nonpostal employee will see premiums rise by $5.53 per pay period for individual coverage, and by $11.45 for family coverage. For postal workers, premiums will cost an extra $6.10 per pay period for individual coverage and $12.73 more per pay period for family plans. According to OPM, the increase is due to changes in the health care market and added plan features, such as tobacco cessation incentives, preventative screenings at no cost to enrollees, and extending coverage to adult children age 26 or younger. The new cutoff age for dependent coverage, mandated by the health reform law, will take effect (http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?filepath=/dailyfed/0910/091710rp.htm) on Jan. 1, 2011.

The Blue Cross plan rises by just 6.9%, despite the new coverages kicking in.

Buster
10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
FEHB Health Premiums up next year-
(by the way- 7.2% increase is the lowest in a long time).
------------------------------------------------------

The Blue Cross plan rises by just 6.9%, despite the new coverages kicking in.

My Dental/Vision with GEHA/FEDVIP went up almost $40/month..and if you say BC/BS went up too, to 6.9%???

..I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about getting a COLA because of negitive inflation this year, to offset those measly increases..:rolleyes:..

I'm being sarcastic..:mad:

James48843
10-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Link to OPM website and the new rates for Healthcare premiums for 2011, and Dental and Vision plans:

http://www.opm.gov/insure/openseason/factsheet.asp

Good luck. MY plan went up a whole lot more. It's gonna be hard.

6IDWV49iGuQ

nnuut
10-01-2010, 10:54 PM
DAMN! I'm switching plans!

Buster
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
based on the link Jim provided..overall my health and dental increased $70.00/month for 2011..

Steel_Magnolia
10-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Been doing spreadsheets most of the night (couldn't sleep) and based on my usual FEHB usage it is finally time for me to switch to BCBS.

Maggie

nnuut
10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
based on the link Jim provided..overall my health and dental increased $70.00/month for 2011..
Looks like it's Close to +$130.00 a Month for me, goodbye MHBP!:nuts: MHBP will hear a great sucking sound of retirees leaving their over priced health insurance plan. Postal workers won't have to pay that high price but when they retire they pay full price.

Boghie
10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Mine went up 9.1%

One think I think I noticed (but, maybe its the format of the page provided by James) is that we don't seem to have as many PPO options.

SkyPilot
10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
I am sure glad ObamaCare is in place, because just think how much worse it would have been if it hadn't been put in place...

Just like how bad unemployement would be if it were not for the Stimulus...

Just like how bad the economy would have been if not for TARP...

Now, if only the would just take my paycheck first, and decide how much I should keep, life would be a Workers Utopia... :nuts:

burrocrat
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
is vaseline still a deductible expense in my HSA? this could get expensive.

crws
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM
is vaseline still a deductible expense in my HSA? this could get expensive.

LOL! :laugh:
Only with a Doctor's visit and co-pay.
At least you get a personal consultation first!

burrocrat
10-03-2010, 01:51 PM
does that include a reach around, or cost extra? billed as lab work or something?

Show-me
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
LOL, look at all the happy workers. :D

WorkFE
10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Glad to see everyone is happy to pay more.
And for those of you who won't be able to continue your health coverage, thats jail time.:nuts:

Frixxxx
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
12% increase:mad: = 1% of pay

4% increase last year pennies to increase...

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the Kool-Aid! Hope there is a cheap pill to cure that condition!

Oh, and taxes to go up next year and new tax to cover health care????:mad:

James48843
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
FEHB Health Plan premiums for 2013 were announced by OPM today.

OPM says the average plan went up by just over 3%.

My plan went up more. How about yours?

Here is the link:
Premium Rates (http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/rates/index.asp)

then click on 2013 rates for either HMO's or Fee for Service plans to get to yours.

OPEN SEASON begins in early November.

burrocrat
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
but they will start to go down in 2016, promise.

nnuut
09-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Mine went up 5%.

Much better than the 8-12% increase I had been getting for most of the past 10 years!:)

Thank you Mr President...Thank You Obamacare!!!:D
If not replaced ObamaDon'tCare will eventually change the health coverage of government workers, I can see it in the stars. I really don't think you will like the results, but go right ahead and don't pull your brain out of the clouds but watch out for the lightening.

nasa1974
09-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't think it is going to make a difference what kind of health care insurance you have. It is all a scam.

This is in todays paper (The Plain Dealer) A little side banner on the front page. Below is the complete article.

Coming Sunday, Medical Billing: A World of Hurt.
The Cleveland Clinic and other area hospital systems are doing away with the age-old doctor's office visit - the cornerstone of care for a generation of Americans. Doctors are seeing patients in off-campus health centers, rather than traditional offices, allowing the hospitals to charge higher fees. Since insurance doesn't always cover all of the added costs, patients are hit with big bills. The Plain Dealer's yearlong series Medical Billing: A World of Hurt examines the growing trend.

Bullitt
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
In 2013 I will be paying 9.5% of my pretax salary to health care.

The plan's employee responsibility went up 9% for the year.

James48843
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Some success by Medicaid Fraud Investigators:

Troy Couple Plead Guilty In $13.4M Medicare Fraud « CBS Detroit (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/18/troy-couple-plead-guilty-in-13-4m-medicare-fraud/)

Troy Couple Plead Guilty In $13.4M Medicare Fraud

<snip>
According to a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Raymond Arias admitted to paying physicians to refer patients with Medicare benefits to Elite Wellness, and to purchasing Medicare beneficiary identifications for the purpose of submitting fraudulent claims to Medicare for expensive infusion therapy services that were not rendered as claimed by Carefirst.

Court documents show that Emelitza Arias participated with her husband in the scheme to defraud Medicare by submitting claims for expensive infusion therapy services that were not rendered by Carefirst, of which she was also an owner. In an attempt to create an appearance that Carefirst was a legitimate business, Emelitza Arias allegedly injected patients with vitamins.

The government says the couple submitted about $13.4 million in bogus claims in 2009-2011, and Medicare paid about $5.9 million — $2.6 million of which Raymond Arias had wired to offshore bank accounts in Panama and Mexico.

Sad. At least the U.S. Government (maybe somebody here on this board?) was able to arrest them.

ILoveTDs
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Some success by Medicaid Fraud Investigators:

Troy Couple Plead Guilty In $13.4M Medicare Fraud « CBS Detroit (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/18/troy-couple-plead-guilty-in-13-4m-medicare-fraud/)

Sad. At least the U.S. Government (maybe somebody here on this board?) was able to arrest them.

I so wish we still tar and feather folks when I see headlines like this.

weatherweenie
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Roughly a 10% increase in premium, with no pay raise.

FEHB Health Plan premiums for 2013 were announced by OPM today.

OPM says the average plan went up by just over 3%.

My plan went up more. How about yours?

Here is the link:
Premium Rates (http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/rates/index.asp)

then click on 2013 rates for either HMO's or Fee for Service plans to get to yours.

OPEN SEASON begins in early November.

Boghie
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I am getting an early return on ObamaCare. Saving a little over $1 every pay period.

Of course, the fee jumped 10% in 2010 after bumping 10% in 2009 after years of little or no increase. Those increases ended up being a bit higher than the $1. Something closer to $40. But there is hope - in 40 years I can get to even:nuts:

Miner
10-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Wish I could say that I'm saving. My premiums look like they'll go up exactly 10% from 2012 to 2013. Which is interesting because the insurance company just sent a sizeable refund back to the government because their Medical Loss Ratio didn't meet the 80/20 rule. Of course, I didn't see any of that money either because "OPM will use the rebate to adjust premium rates for future federal health plans. This ensures the rebate will be shared between health plan enrollees and the Federal agencies that pay for FEHBP".

Frixxxx
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
My premiums will jump 50% moving to the east coast.....apparently, the government can't negotiate very well over there.

PessOptimist
10-19-2012, 07:18 PM
My premiums will jump 50% moving to the east coast.....apparently, the government can't negotiate very well over there.

So, are you saying living in PRK wasn't all bad?:notrust:

PO

ILoveTDs
10-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Just want to weight in on HMO's here and the rationed coverage as FWM put it, and my experience with it.

Eight years ago I took my first job with the federal government straight out of college, and as a result got health insurance for the first time. I picked an HMO called "Group Health" that serviced the north west and noticed the "rationed coverage" within the first year, but I was young and didn't pay it no mind. The next year my wife got pregnant, the whole pregnancy they refused to do any test's above and beyond what was mandated, and refused to see my wife unless it was a schedule checkup. On several occasions I had to call and explain to the scheduler if they weren't going to see my wife I was going to take her to the emergency room.

At one point they had to IV my wife because she was dehydrated from puking during morning sickness, Group Health (HMO) had told her to eat some ginger over the phone for five days before I finally took her to the emergency room. Long story short she miscarried, called them up and they said they would see her and talk about at her next annual. I drop the Group Health (HMO) for an IPO the next open season and have never looked back. And have never had a miscarriage since.

IMO when the doctors work directly for the insurance company health care is diminished, and I'll never join an HMO again if I can avoid it. Just my two cents, but I'll tell everyone I can.

Child would be 6 and in the 1st grade today, never found out the gender.

PessOptimist
10-20-2012, 09:48 PM
How does all this fit in with The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act now Public Law 111-148?

Now I could be mistaken on the actual title and law. It has all been very confusing.

FWM, since you are such a strong supporter of affordable health aka obamacare, explain the cost increases incurred by moving and what the law will do in the future to reduce those costs.

Bullitt
10-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Some good points being made here. TD's... sorry for your loss.

Many of my peers would rather skimp on health insurance and take the cheapest plan so they have that extra $20 to spend on 'stuff'. One problem with cheaper plans is the maximum coverage ceiling. I saw one plan that would save almost 50% but the max coverage was only like $3,000 in one shot. Good luck with that.

Boghie
10-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Have to say...

ObamaCare and our current CrappyCare both suck. Especially if you just purchase on cost. I have always weighed cost and service, but I know that 20-somethings often do not. They are invincible. The best thing about FEHB is that everything is in writing and everything is in one place. That might be a plus for ObamaCare; I think that plans would be presented to customers in a menu like we get.

I hate insurance and I don't trust future politicians...

James48843
10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
OK FOLKS_ the 2017 Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan enrollment information and new 2017 PREMIUM RATES are now posted over on the OPM's website.

You can look at all the plan brochures and premiums here:
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/premiums/

Open Season will begin November 14 this year.

Go take a look, compare plans, and see what is in store. My personal HMO jumped about $30 for 2017.

clester
10-07-2016, 10:20 AM
OK FOLKS_ the 2017 Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan enrollment information and new 2017 PREMIUM RATES are now posted over on the OPM's website.

You can look at all the plan brochures and premiums here:

Open Season will begin November 14 this year.

Go take a look, compare plans, and see what is in store. My personal HMO jumped about $30 for 2017.

Blue cross basic plus one up $8 a month. Not bad. A lot of past years it has gone up a lot more.

Cactus
10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
GEHA standard option self + one up only 4%. Not bad. It's usually up 6% - 7% a year.

jonfresno
10-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Carefirst standard family plan up 52 bucks a month to about 475. I know I'm getting old, but I felt that I was only paying 340 or so a month not too long ago. When I first switched from MDIPA, I was paying 281 a month.

Maybe disown the kid so we can get onto Self Plus One?

I know, B!t@& and Moan, B!t@& and Moan...

Thanks for posting this James, much appreciated.

Stoplight
10-07-2016, 01:43 PM
BC/BS basic "self" up $6/month (~4%)...no complaints.

Quick and dirty purely economic cut shows it STILL makes more sense to carry my own FEHB “self” plan ($154.32) + the Wife’s County Board of Ed “self” plan ($74.11 ; also administered through BC/BS) for a total of $228.43, vs my "self + 1" plan, for $356.72 !!! Saves us $128/month...no-brainer !!! :D

Of course, that’s grossly over-simplified...County could ditch the retiree health care benefit in a heartbeat ! ...And I need to compare her benefits vs mine...so far, it hasn’t been an issue. My co-pays went up this year, but she got a premium “holiday” based on good system performance...saved 1 month of her premium since they didn’t deduct it from her retirement check. Also, she becomes Medicare-eligible in 2017...the County drops her premium, and it becomes secondary.

OTOH, as a Fed, do the premiums change when you become eligible for Medicare ? Not that I can see !!! :eek:

Stoplight...

evilanne
10-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Mine (402) only increased 2% but if I changed from Family to Self+1 it would only be a 1% increase. I'm glad I changed before I retired as it's still way lower than BCBS Standard.

evilanne
10-07-2016, 04:20 PM
OTOH, as a Fed, do the premiums change when you become eligible for Medicare ? Not that I can see !!! :eek:
Medicare becomes your primary and if you keep FEHB it will be supplemental. Rates are the same for retiree & federal employee, which tend to increase annually. What agency do you currently work for?

Scout333
10-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Stoplight...

I am soon to be Medicare eligible. No change in premium but you do get a reduction in deductibles and copays if you elect Medicare Part B (there is a premium for Part B). I'm still trying to figure out the best combination of plans. Spouse is not Medicare- Eligible yet.

Stoplight
10-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Medicare becomes your primary and if you keep FEHB it will be supplemental. Rates are the same for retiree & federal employee, which tend to increase annually. What agency do you currently work for?

Evil,

Fortunately, I retired in 2012 !!! :D

I am soon to be Medicare eligible. No change in premium but you do get a reduction in deductibles and copays if you elect Medicare Part B (there is a premium for Part B). I'm still trying to figure out the best combination of plans. Spouse is not Medicare- Eligible yet.

Scout,

That's a nugget I did not realize !!! Can you steer me to someplace with info on how that works, in the FEHB health plans ? What happens if you DON'T select Part B ???

I think the Part B premium is somewhere ~ $125/month or so. I won't be Medicare eligible for a few years yet, but sounds like you're right...I'll have to do some more number-crunching, to see what makes sense ! :D

Thanks for the responses !!!

Stoplight...

Warrenlm
10-08-2016, 05:30 PM
"What happens if you DON'T select Part B ??? "

If you don't elect to join Part B at 65, your FEHB plan continues as primary insurance, but provider compensation is lowered to the Medicare level. That shouldn't affect the patient.

Also, if you change your mind some years later, there is a permanent premium increase of 10% penalty for each year of delay. Also, watch the income thresholds because the increased premium for Part B due to income surprises some people.

evilanne
10-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Each FEHB plan should address medicare; FEHB = Medicare Part B + Part D (Prescriptions)
https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/index.html

Scout333
10-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Stop I got my information from Blue Cross. They mailed me a brochure that explained what happens when you merge Medicare and federal BCBS. I assume without Part B you keep your regular deductibles and copays. I'm still researching. If I get other info I'll pass it on.

Scout,

That's a nugget I did not realize !!! Can you steer me to someplace with info on how that works, in the FEHB health plans ? What happens if you DON'T select Part B ???

I think the Part B premium is somewhere ~ $125/month or so. I won't be Medicare eligible for a few years yet, but sounds like you're right...I'll have to do some more number-crunching, to see what makes sense ! :D

Thanks for the responses !!!

Stoplight...[/QUOTE]

James48843
10-04-2019, 09:30 AM
OK- the NEW FEDERAL EMPLOYEE HEALTH BENEFIT RATES FOR 2020 ARE NOW PUBLISHED!!!

You can go to the OPM website, and see what the premiums are going to be for 2020, as well as see plan changes and new plans available.
Here is the link:

Enjoy! !

nasa1974
10-04-2019, 12:59 PM

You can go to the OPM website, and see what the premiums are going to be for 2020, as well as see plan changes and new plans available.
Here is the link:

Enjoy! !

Thanks for the information James

weatherweenie
10-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Looks like about a 15% increase in my premiums, with no expected pay raise for 2020. Thanks for nothin'! :censored:

Here is the link:

Enjoy! !

sniper
11-19-2020, 11:26 PM
Premiums keep going up, benefits keep going down. The same health plan I had for years had a pretty nice cost increase, meanwhile, it now only covers 1 dental cleaning per year (used to be 2)

I need to take a deeper look at the comparisons over the years of how much crappier the coverage has gotten to see how hard we're getting screwed

Bullitt
11-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Yeah I got hit the past year with a ~$150 dental bill to cover an x-ray. Dentist didn't realize that benefit had been removed for 2020 and neither did I.

It's only going to get worse. Think of all those people who are wasting time getting (free) COVID tests "just to be safe". Someone has to pay for that.

nasa1974
11-21-2020, 03:56 PM
I guess my Social Security check will help cover my FEHB insurance increase. :eek:

rangerray
11-21-2020, 04:20 PM
Premiums go up; benefits go down. That's been my story for the whole of my government career.

Kajunboywonder
01-23-2022, 10:24 AM
Yeah I got hit the past year with a ~$150 dental bill to cover an x-ray. Dentist didn't realize that benefit had been removed for 2020 and neither did I.

It's only going to get worse. Think of all those people who are wasting time getting (free) COVID tests "just to be safe". Someone has to pay for that.

- “Just to be safe and responsible”. Making sure they don’t potentially kill people because they are continuing to go through life like a person that doesn’t harbor an infectious virus that kills people.

James48843
09-30-2022, 04:40 PM
Federal Employees Will Pay 8.7% More Toward Health Care Premiums Next Year

The Office of Personnel Management said increased use of health care services as the COVID-19 pandemic has waned has led to the sharpest uptick in health insurance premiums in more than a decade.

ERICH WAGNER | 1 HOURS AGO

Federal employees and retirees will spend an average of 8.7% more on their health insurance premiums in 2023, a figure that marks the highest cost increase in more than a decade.

The government’s share of Federal Employees Health Benefits Program premiums will increase by an average of 6.6%, bringing the overall increase to 7.2%, according to an OPM document obtained by Government Executive. That overall premium increase is the highest the nation’s largest health insurance program has seen since costs increased 9% in 2011.

On average, federal employees enrolled in “self-only” plans will pay an additional $8.11 per bi-weekly pay period, while feds in “self plus one” insurance plans will pay $20.34 more per pay period. Federal workers enrolled in family coverage will pay an average of $20.87 more per pay period in 2023.

For the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program, the average premium for dental plans will increase by 0.21%, while the overall average premium for vision coverage will decrease by 0.41%.

More: https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2022/09/federal-employees-will-pay-87-more-toward-health-care-premiums-next-year/377915/

nnuut
09-30-2022, 04:52 PM
DAMMIT!

Bullitt
10-01-2022, 06:57 AM
I'm up around 10%. Hopefully everybody else's is less.

SteelSaving
10-03-2022, 11:39 AM
OPM also cited an increase in usage of health care services, following a period earlier in the pandemic when enrollees used fewer medical services.

Funny, I don't recall seeing my premiums go down when we were using fewer medical services.

Insurers are also required to provide “adequate coverage” of anti-obesity medications.

Can't we just ban forks?

SteelSaving
10-03-2022, 11:41 AM
I'm up around 10%. Hopefully everybody else's is less.

Mine's up 2%. You should shop.

James48843
10-12-2022, 11:19 PM
So I just finally found the OPM pages.

My Blue Cross Basic, self plus one, is rising from :

$424 per month in 2022
To
$472 per month in 2023.

I’m curious- I’m not yet 65. I CAN get TrI-care select ( I’m retired Guard) but I have to pay a small amount.

Anybody know- can you cover your spouse under Tricare select (from age 60 to 65 it is select, at 65 it turns into Tricare for life) ?

What does Tricare Select not cover than Blue Cross basic does?

I’ve been spoiled the last ten years and not paying enough attention to insurances . Been always covered for everything under combined Blue Cross basic and VA coverage. I don’t want to drop everything except VA, because I think that might lead to issues of $$$ outflow .

Thoughts?

Healthcare-
VA , or VA plus Tricare, or VA plus Blue Cross Basic For myself.

Wife is a veteran but doesn’t get any VA. So I have to EITHER bolster VA with Blue Cross Basic; or with TriCare select.

Sent from my iPhone using TSP Talk Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=74921)

Bullitt
10-13-2022, 05:12 PM
Mine's up 2%. You should shop.

State makes a huge difference. Previous plan actually going down slightly for 2023, but it's still almost twice the price I pay now. All things considered it's still better than any other option I have to choose from for my family.

And no, I wouldn't ever consider purchasing the cheapest option either.