PDA

View Full Version : USPS Overpayment of CSRS (1972-2009)

Frixxxx
07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
www.uspsoig.gov/foia_files/CI-MA-10-001.pdf (http://www.uspsoig.gov/foia_files/CI-MA-10-001.pdf)

Since USPS retirement funds come from different sources, thought you USPS guys could comment or just know about this one out!:suspicious:

crws
07-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Where/how the heck did you find that?
I'll read it...

www.uspsoig.gov/foia_files/CI-MA-10-001.pdf (http://www.uspsoig.gov/foia_files/CI-MA-10-001.pdf)

Since USPS retirement funds come from different sources, thought you USPS guys could comment or just know about this one out!:suspicious:

crws
07-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Special Reports Last Updated: Jan 4th, 2007 - 01:08:31
http://www.onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_779.shtml
George W. Bush's War Stamp Tax
By Wayne Madsen
Online Journal Contributing Writer

May 9, 2006, 01:29

(WMR) -- According to US Postal Service insiders, the Bush administration, which has prided itself on tax cuts,
has imposed a stealth war tax on the American people.
In January, the Postal Rate Commission approved a two-cent raise in first class postage to 39 cents.
The commission has now indicated it wants to raise the price of a first class stamp by three cents to 42 cents next year.

The reason for the Bush stamp tax is that when the Bush administration took power in 2001, the Postal Service Fund,
a special account established within the Treasury Department, had a substantial surplus.
However, in order to pay for its Iraq war adventure, the Bush administration raided the Postal Service Fund and created a deficit.
The two successive rate increases have been necessary in order to replenish the fund, according to Postal Service sources.

In addition to the Postal Service Fund, the misappropriation of money for the war has also adversely affected
the Postal Employees' Compensation Fund, the solvency for which is guaranteed by the Postal Service Fund.

Written Statement On Continuing to Deliver:
An Examination of the Postal Service’s Current Financial Crisis and its Future Viability
April 15, 2010
David C. Williams
Inspector General
United States Postal Service
page 11
The current overcharges of $75 billion have been seen by many in
the mailing industry as an unauthorized tax on Americans. Ironically the postal trade
press has termed this the “stamp tax.”

Frixxxx
07-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Where/how the heck did you find that?
I'll read it...
Believe it or not, I was trying to find elligble retiree numbers for the Federal government and determine if we had a RIF and removed them that would cause a budget savings by hiring back at 60% of salary and also lower the unemployment rate.

I know...pipe dream and not everyone can afford to retire right this second! But it was an exercise in an argument I had with a co-worker. He has 36 years in. Makes $100K and has 400K in TSP. I told him he was a cause of stagnation in the economy. And he got upset and it turned into a numbers war. (He's a statistician)

Anyhow, I googled "civil service retirement numbers" and it was 6th on the list.