PDA

View Full Version : Duck killers in FL

FAB1
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.- A Florida couple have been charged with theft for capturing ducks from a community lake and arranging to have them killed at an animal shelter.
Robert and Blain Aymond infuriated their Frenchman's Landing subdivision neighbors in Palm Beach Gardens, who showed up at a preliminary hearing en masse last month wearing yellow ribbons with pictures of ducks, The Palm Beach Post reported.

One woman, Lorraine Lyon, tried to bring the ducks's ashes to the hearing but was unable to get them past security.
While critics call the Aymonds duck-killers, their lawyer, Mitchell Beers, said there is another side to the story. The couple raise orchids and were tired of duck droppings on their plants. They thought they had a right to get rid of ducks on their property, he added.

"It's getting out of hand," Beers said. "They're sending pictures of ducks to the judge, putting signs up saying that my clients murdered the ducks." The Aymonds herded eight ducks onto their patio and then arranged for a trapper to take them to the shelter. They are scheduled to go on trial next month on a misdemeanor charge of stealing ducks valued at $280.

IMO - They went about this all wrong.

Roast duck is delicious! Here ducky, ducky, ducky

Silverbird
04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
If the ducks aren't in your yard, they are not yours. No herding them at the pond.
If you catch them in your orchids, duck soup.
That's my 2 Cents and I'm sticking to it.

nnuut
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Some friends of mine live on a lake just down the hill from my house, every year hundreds of Canadian Geese fly down and make this very small lake their home. Their backyard backs right up to the lake shore which gives the Geese ready access to their yard. They HATE the Geese because they tear up the yard eat the flowers and deposit so much GOOSE SCAT in the yard that you just can't walk out there without getting it all over your shoes and the smell is wonderful when it's warm. They tried to get the County, City and State to do something but the Geese are protected and you can't touch them without breaking the law!! I think I'd move! GOOSE SCAT get out of here!!:laugh:

FAB1
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Drain the lake before the trouble arrives.

or cover it with netting (if the lake is realy small.

If the geese cant access water, they will probably leave the area.

Called animal rescue people once when a Canada goose was injured out back on my property. Basically they said hell, no we wont even get near them. Goose died a few hours later anyway.

nnuut
04-15-2010, 02:44 PM
20 acre lake might be hard to cover? Those Geese are BIG fellows!:toung:

James48843
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
This is why I own a nice big friendly black lab.

When the geese stop by, Jake likes to tell them hello.

He just wants to play.

But the geese get the idea, and decide not to hang around.

nnuut
04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Reminds me of my dog Bubba but a different color, he would chase those devils away. Maybe I can rent him to my friends?:)

Silverbird
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
In Maryland (I used to live there) there are two classifications of Canada Geese.
Migratory - endangered. Thin and sleek
Giants - the ones that never migrate and are so fat they wobble. Not endangered.
They actually are so different that they got a seperate classification
Are the Georgia ones "Giants" also?

Steadygain
04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
If the ducks aren't in your yard, they are not yours. No herding them at the pond.
If you catch them in your orchids, duck soup.
That's my 2 Cents and I'm sticking to it.

Well I totally agree with you ;)

However the ending sounds like an open challenge ~ and with that I'd like to respond.

If the same couple lived in an area that was hugely overrun with ducks. Let's say that nature and environmental experts equally showed that the duck population had far exceeded what any could consider healthy or acceptable. Not only was the general environment falling increasingly in despair ~ but the value of homes and property was rapidly declining ~ the clean up costs were bring many towards bankrupsy. In addition children were getting sick and their sickness was directly tied to outdoor exposure.

OK -- in this senario -- if the same couple had joined together with others in the community ~~ and through the advise of Federal and Government approved organizations and authorities (most qualified to resolve the issue at hand).

If -- all such parties concluded that the easiest and best solution was to 'herd them at the pond' -- and let the proper authorities reduce the population :cheesy: to a size that everyone knows is heathy for them ~ the enviroment ~ and all people throughout the area.

Then would you be willing to change your view ??

nnuut
04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
In Maryland (I used to live there) there are two classifications of Canada Geese.
Migratory - endangered. Thin and sleek
Giants - the ones that never migrate and are so fat they wobble. Not endangered.
They actually are so different that they got a seperate classification
Are the Georgia ones "Giants" also?
We get both and Ducks, but the little ducks arn't so bad as those big STICK AROUND suckers!!:cool:

nnuut
04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
If I can catch bunch of those GIANTS and force feed them maybe I could make Foie gras, that stuff is expensive!! 8978
http://www.amazon.com/Rougie-Block-Goose-Foie-Gras/dp/B00018XF7Q

James48843
04-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Well I totally agree with you ;)

However the ending sounds like an open challenge ~ and with that I'd like to respond.

If the same couple lived in an area that was hugely overrun with ducks. Let's say that nature and environmental experts equally showed that the duck population had far exceeded what any could consider healthy or acceptable. Not only was the general environment falling increasingly in despair ~ but the value of homes and property was rapidly declining ~ the clean up costs were bring many towards bankrupsy. In addition children were getting sick and their sickness was directly tied to outdoor exposure.

OK -- in this senario -- if the same couple had joined together with others in the community ~~ and through the advise of Federal and Government approved organizations and authorities (most qualified to resolve the issue at hand).

If -- all such parties concluded that the easiest and best solution was to 'herd them at the pond' -- and let the proper authorities reduce the population :cheesy: to a size that everyone knows is heathy for them ~ the enviroment ~ and all people throughout the area.

Then would you be willing to change your view ??

Death panels?

Or Soylent Green (goose)?

Or maybe even Logan's Run:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run

grandma
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Birds on the wing that decide to move in must be a problem over much of the nation?
There has been that same such problem up at the AR/Mo state line in NW AR.
http://www.4029tv.com/money/22922847/detail.html (http://www.4029tv.com/money/22922847/detail.html)

An outfit that tried to help, I guess:
http://www.canadageesearkansas.com/about-us

-but it doesn't appear that many homeowners went with keeping large dogs.
The geese do cause a problem with the kids out in their yards, tho. :blink:

This was originally a retirement community formed by northerners moving south into the Ozarks, closer to families, etc.
- thus the golf courses, etc for the execs types, but mostly retired Uniformed folks. Then families started moving in when the elders died, whatever, and so it is more family oriented, I think, than Retired...constant battles about the different goals...

Buster
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
All kidding aside..You can keep geese off your land by stringing a string about breast high (6 to 7 inches above the ground)..across the area at the lake edge..they won't climb over or go under it...FACT!

nnuut
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Foxes! Well I don't know, which is worse?

Buster
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Foxes! Well I don't know, which is worse?

It's the one on the right...:rolleyes::D

FAB1
04-16-2010, 07:08 AM
20 acre lake might be hard to cover? Those Geese are BIG fellows!:toung:

UH! you said small lake... so get a Big dog. :p

Or the string thing sounds really easy.

Thanks Buster!!

alevin
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I grew up back east with community pond, including the banks for about 10 feet. Wonderful. Fishing, ice skating, etc. There were always a few domestic (white) geese, maybe 12 max that stayed year round. they made the banks a little messy for the neighborhood fishermen, like me and my dad. we didn't think too much about it since it was only a problem on one particular area of the bank. they died one by one over the years. Only a couple times had migratory flock visit for a few days at a time. they were not a problem. Don't recall anyone ever complaining about the geese.

Except once when one "knocked" on our front door in thick grey fog after dark. :blink: Front door up a flight of 6 steps. Opened the door, turned on the light, saw something move in the yard out at edge of the light, discovered it was a wild goose. I got my coat, flashlight, tried to herd it to the pond (about 200 yards away). Managed to walk it down the road about 60 feet, then it flew off blindly into the fog, had enough of the herding, I guess since it couldn't tell I was trying to send it to the water it missed in the fog and dark. Oh well, I tried. :cool: I like the string idea for dealing with problem geese. Excellent suggestion.