PDA

View Full Version : California Earthquake

James48843
04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Breaking- just got an instant message from a friend north of San Diego, they had a substantial earthquake. No word yet on strength.

James48843
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Baja California quake magnitude raised to 7.2

LOS ANGELES – Seismologists have raised the preliminary magnitude of an earthquake in northern Baja California from 6.9 to 7.2.
U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones says the new magnitude of the 3:40 p.m. Sunday earthquake is still an estimate.
The quake centered south of California's border with Mexico was widely felt, swaying buildings as far away as San Diego, Los Angeles and Arizona.
There has been no confirmed damage, but some power outages were reported in southern Arizona and Tijuana, Mexico. Jones says any damage would likely have occurred closer to the epicenter such as in the Mexican city of Mexicali or in U.S. border cities.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information.

James48843
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Map of earthquake reports coming in to USGS:

Epicenter is in Mexico- most severe shocks felt in Mexico, Arizona and California.

Boghie
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Baja California quake magnitude raised to 7.2

LOS ANGELES – Seismologists have raised the preliminary magnitude of an earthquake in northern Baja California from 6.9 to 7.2.
U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones says the new magnitude of the 3:40 p.m. Sunday earthquake is still an estimate.
The quake centered south of California's border with Mexico was widely felt, swaying buildings as far away as San Diego, Los Angeles and Arizona.
There has been no confirmed damage, but some power outages were reported in southern Arizona and Tijuana, Mexico. Jones says any damage would likely have occurred closer to the epicenter such as in the Mexican city of Mexicali or in U.S. border cities.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information.

James,

The bigger one was a long series of sharp shakes. Probably lasted ten to fifteen seconds or so. While the shakes were sharp they were not damaging or perceived by me to be dangerous. The problem is that there appears to be a swarm of them. San Diego is more than a hundred miles from the epicenter.

I am hearing of water main breaks, but nothing else.

The epicenter of this quake was 60 miles south of Mexicali. Seems to be damage and problems in Guadalupe and Mexicali. They don’t build to the same code we do..

The Yucca Valley quake in June 1992 was much, MUCH worse here in San Diego. That nasty thang shook for about a minute and shook hard.

Boghie
04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
San Diego Fire Department.

No injuries, no downed buildings. However, there are damaged buildings such as the Sheraton Harbor Island Hotel. The animal center we just adopted our new dog from has some cracks in the wall. There is some apartment building with problems.

Apparentely there are power issues south of the border. Some damaged surface streets.

This thing seems to have been very focused.

Frixxxx
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
50 miles north of San Diego.....

Whole lotta shaken goin on!!!

Rode the waves 44 seconds at our friend's Easter dinner and I was fixing a computer problem on the second floor....the first ten seconds got me down the stairs. The next 30 seconds were screaming and running outside.... most of it just excitement.

All safe...Mexico has very little ot no power....nothing much coming out of there until this morning...We'll see!:cool:

alevin
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
glad you guys are okay!

Buster
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Same here..Glad nothing serious happened...Hope the Bridge to TJ fell in the River though:rolleyes:

tsptalk
04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Amazing. That's larger than the quake that hit Haiti.

My daughter is also north of San Diego and we got "the call". She was a little freaked out as she's only been through a couple of smaller quakes since she moved to S. Cal.

Scout333
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Hello Tom, Glad your daughter was OK. Pretty scary. Must be interesting to live somewhere that everyone carries an "earthquake survival kit" in their trunks. My wife's BFF lives in LA and was explaining this to us a few years ago.

Frixxxx
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
MREs baby,

I got my EK in the trunk of both my cars.

Got 3 month water storage (if I stay) at my house and 4-10 Gallon gas tanks (if I go).

Did you know that 3 baby wipes removes 98% of all dirt and germs from your entire body?

I can get out of Southern California 200 ways from my house and never look back.....

Wish I could leave now!!!!!:laugh:

Buster
04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Did you know that 3 baby wipes removes 98% of all dirt and germs from your entire body?

Good to know:D

CountryBoy
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Glad to here that you are ok Frixxxx :D and have thought out your bug out or bug in options and have prepared accordingly. Hmm 3 baby wipes, I'll have to add that to my supplies.

Frixxxx
04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/FreezerChart.htm
Good review of how long supermarket food will last (or won't).

Besides knowing someone in the military that has Commissary privileges ($55.00 per dzn) this site is the cheapest I see out there ($63.00 per dzn):
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/12-MRE-Meals.aspx?a=271438&kwtid=200884

E-bay- Use at your own risk, you never know how old they are unless you research!

Water tablets are about $0.10 each from bulk providers. 3 years, about $200.00 bucks. (2 liters pp per day)

You can get freeze dried water from other sources!:laugh:

Boghie
04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Yesterday's quake didn't phase me...
I've been through lots like it. Kinda shakey, not rolley.

One hit this morning with a massive one move blow though. I seem to wake before these things hit. This morning the earth moved one time. Probably a single move of just less than a foot. One swing to the north and back. Didn't like it. Not so much fun.

Wild:nuts:

PessOptimist
04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Glad none of you had any injuries or damage. The media has reported two deaths, both in Mexicali, Baja California. Calixeco CA has a lot of damage to older buildings and some damage was reported in San Luis AZ.

I am 230 miles from epicenter of the main quake and was sitting on the patio by the pool. I heard the pool sloshing and thought It must be getting windy. Then I realized it wasn't windy, the pool water was now rocking and rolling and the verticle blinds were swinging. It lasted a long time, seemed like well over 30 seconds and the pool sloshed over and ran up the patio three times. No damage, just pictures crooked on the walls and a wet patio. The dog slept through it.

I haven't felt any of the aftershocks, not surprising. We usually don't feel any of the California quakes here in Arizona.

nasa1974
04-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Glad to hear everybody is doing fine after the earthquake. Everyone has a story. I remember a pretty decent earthquake here in Cleveland many, many, many years ago. I even have a story about the gas man. But that is another time and place.:nuts:

PessOptimist
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
A part of my story that makes me chuckle.

Once I realized what was happening I started in to the house to tell my wife to come out.

She met me at the door. She was on the third floor of an old brick building in San Francisco during the Loma Prieta quake so she knew what to do.

The humorous part is when the pool water started coming over the deck she said: "you better do something about the pool".

I didn't ask "like what" or say anything.

Funny the things people will say during events.

Buster
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
A part of my story that makes me chuckle.

Once I realized what was happening I started in to the house to tell my wife to come out.

She met me at the door. She was on the third floor of an old brick building in San Francisco during the Loma Prieta quake so she knew what to do.

The humorous part is when the pool water started coming over the deck she said: "you better do something about the pool".

I didn't ask "like what" or say anything.

Funny the things people will say during events.

"Get me the Mop"...would of come to mind:D

Frixxxx
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Indonesia just registered a 7.8

Man, Everyone just tries to out do us.

No Tsunami is expected! (We hope and pray):worried:

grandma
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
It is good to hear our MB'ers are okay - and no material damage of consequence either. There undoubtedly will be more to come, and seemingly at an increase rate.... :worried:
So - keep your rescue kits handy!

Incidentally, Frixxx - the three wipes - is that `per area?' :D

Buster
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Oh man...I'm not touching this one...:toung::worried:

Frixxxx
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh man...I'm not touching this one...:toung:
I am, but not until I WIPE it!

It is good to hear our MB'ers are okay - and no material damage of consequence either. There undoubtedly will be more to come, and seemingly at an increase rate.... :worried:
So - keep your rescue kits handy!

I can usually get "FULL" coverage with three baby wipes in a normal environment. That is face, neck down to toes......But then, I have hardly any hair (jarhead style).

Anyway, In a jam, baby wipes will do until water is plentiful.:cool:

nnuut
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
The RING OF FIRE is acting up again, give it time it will calm down, but not until it's done adjusting it's position. There's nothing we can do to stop it so sit back and hope it doesn't happen here.:sick:

Buster
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Oklahoma Has had a rash of Small Quakes lately...nothing but a few bumps in the night..but still more than usual..

Recent Earthquakes - Last 8-30 Days
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/

grandma
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Oklahoma Has had a rash of Small Quakes lately...nothing but a few bumps in the night..but still more than usual..

Recent Earthquakes - Last 8-30 Days
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/

My figuring is that the New Madrid fault over in SE Missouri bootheel is long overdue for its next one.
My first initiation to an EQ was on the 3rd floor of the Tacoma Public Library- red lights, etc, I had no idea what was happening! I don't recall any damages.
However, not long after that, in the Bootheel, at 100 lbs & 9 months pregnant, I found myself hanging onto the clothes washer, trying to keep it from dancing into the bathtub! :o
My EQ education has increased some since then!!! I'd rather watch for a tornado, thank you very much !!!!:D

PessOptimist
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Does all this mean I should cancel my trip to Yellowstone in July?

Actually my theory on that is the same as my nuclear war theory was/is. I want to be close enough to the action so I can say "wow, look at tha...."

grandma
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Actually my theory on that is the same as my nuclear war theory was/is. I want to be close enough to the action so I can say "wow, look at tha...."
yeah, there is that , too! - except for the nuclear war part :sick: :rolleyes:

Buster
04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Does all this mean I should cancel my trip to Yellowstone in July?

LOL...Me too..I have a Lawn Chair bolted to the roof of the house, so I can sit up there and watch just as it happens....Before my eyeballs get fried out of my head:nuts::cool:...Kool-aid?:laugh:

Viva_La_Migra
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Be ready California. Another earthquake (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/23/boobquake-cleavage-cause-earthquakes/) may be on the way! I want to see the video footage of the event!:nuts:

If you're on facebook, become friends with Boobquake!

grandma
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Did you check out the link on those orange life boats on the oil rigs! What a creation!

I'll bet no one ever complains about those drills again!!

Has anyone heard about the other 11 oil rig workers?

Viva_La_Migra
04-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Did you check out the link on those orange life boats on the oil rigs! What a creation!

I'll bet no one ever complains about those drills again!!

Has anyone heard about the other 11 oil rig workers?
Sorry Grandma, I had my eyes on the Lethal Weapons!:D