PDA

View Full Version : Tax Credit Question for Federal Retirees

Lobo
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone out there know enough about the "Making Work Pay and Government Retiree Credits" to help me understand my situation? It's Line 63 on form 1040, and requires you to fill out Schedule M.

I'm a FERS retiree....retired at 60 years old....and thus I recieve a "social security supplement" with my pension check. It's not from SS, it's just included as a part of my pension check from OPM until I reach age 62 and would be eligible to apply for SS.

When I read about the tax credit, it states that I would be eligible if I recieved a pension in 2009 from service in the US government AND if the service is not coverd by social security. Of course, the part after the "AND" is what confuses me....especially sense I don't currently recieve an actual SS check....although FERS has SS as one of the "legs" of the retirement system.

Any tax experts out there that might know?? Any help appreciated!!

Lobo :)

XL-entLady
03-13-2010, 02:08 PM
I think you will get the credit. Your SS supplemental isn't FROM the SSA, it's just a FERS supplemental until you qualify for SS.

Bottom line is that if you guess wrong and what you put in that line and Schedule M doesn't match what the government records are, you have to resubmit. I found that out the hard way.

Lady

Lobo
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Lady. I actually already filed the taxes before I saw this, so it would be an amendment anyway....then, if I'm wrong, I reckon I'd have to resubmitn.

Lobo :)