PDA

View Full Version : Index funds or Regular funds

S280
12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I would like to say thanks to Tom for this site. Since I have started reading this site my TSP has made leaps and bounds, but it has also made me get interested in my personal funds as well.

I am new to this and just educating myself so bare with me. We recently sold a house in So Cal and made a good lump sum of money. We have no debt now except for the house we currently live in. I want to invest the money, but I do not want to pay more in expenses than need be. I have been reading a book recomended by ROKID (I think) on this board by BOGLE. Is it best to use a company like AG Edwards, Edward Jones or just jump in and buy no load funds from Vanguard or T Rowe Price.

These will be buy and hold for the most part and I dont want to do much of any trading on a daily basis.

Thanks in Advance

tsptalk
12-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I don't know too much about the companies you mentioned, but one thing you want to watch for if you are a buy and hold investor is inactivity fees. Some of the discount brokers charge this. I don't if thelarger full service brokers charge that, but of course their commissions are usuallyhigher

grums
12-17-2004, 07:27 PM
You should check out the Diehard forum on morningstars website, or the Diehards.org site. They are the Kings and Queens of buy-and-hold, index funds, low expense, no load funds.

Spaf
12-17-2004, 08:57 PM
S280......I would suggest placing the $ in a bank money market fund. Don't jump in funds. Know about them first. "Mutual Funds for Dummies" is a very good starter book.
I like Vanguard.
Have you tried USAA? They have financial services, and are geared for govt. workers (800-771-9960).

Rgds :) Spaf

Rolo
12-17-2004, 09:31 PM
USAA is pretty good, but I like Scottrade better (I have both). There are NO annual fees and NO inactivity fees.USAA hasa broad selection of No Transaction Fee (NTF) funds butScottrade has far more.

I never, ever pay a "fee" on anything.

Mike
12-17-2004, 09:53 PM
What about dating/ marriage? Those are loaded with hidden fees. :shock:

S280
12-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I will check out USAA and the Diehard.