PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Revisted

tsptalk
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
There was a discussion here about Kindles back in 2008, but Spaf had deleted it because it was related to a $50 coupon that had expired.

So now that some of you have had your Kindles for a while, do you have any opinions you could share? Pros, cons, recommendations, avoids, etc.

For instance, is the smaller 6" version adequate or do you prefer the larger screen of the Kindle DX, and is it worth extra $200+ for the increase?

It looks like you can pick up a used 6" Kindle for just over $200, or new for $250 with free shipping. The Kindle DX is about $500 and a used one can be found closer to $400. $500 can sure buy a nice TV set these days.

XL-entLady
02-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I've had my Kindle for about 18 months now. I love to read and I LOVE my Kindle. It's handy. I've got almost 200 books at my command. If my eyes are tired I can just change the size of the letters on the screen. The screen is different technology than computer screens; not backlit and doesn't tire your eyes to read. And the books are cheaper than paperbacks. And it's lighter than a paperbook book too (for those of you with arthritic hands).

I have the 6" screen, because mine is one of the old ones, and my only issue is that I sometimes accidentally hit a button when I don't mean to because there isn't as much handling space around the perimeter.

Actually, that's not my only issue with it. It busts my allowance regularly because it is so EASY to see a book I want, order it and be reading it 2 minutes later!

Lady

RunningFool
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
If they are at a price of less than 150 I might be interested in one. How do they compare to the other readers?

XL-entLady
02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
If they are at a price of less than 150 I might be interested in one. How do they compare to the other readers?
No clue. The Kindle was the first reader I found and I've never looked back. Didn't want buyer's remorse. :p

Lady

Bullitt
02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I would have voted for "I love it", because I love mine.

Mine is 6" and my only complaint is the PDF files. I have to turn the screen sideways or else strain my eyes to read the small print. Small problem, but it's all good and manageable.

XL-entLady
02-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I would have voted for "I love it", because I love mine.

Mine is 6" and my only complaint is the PDF files. I have to turn the screen sideways or else strain my eyes to read the small print. Small problem, but it's all good and manageable.
Yeah, and I've bought some reference books with full page charts in them and the charts have been too small to read. (The charts don't change size if you change font size.)

But those are small problems.:cheesy:

Lady

tsptalk
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Sounds like the smaller screen is good enough? Any regrets not getting the larger one?

ChemEng
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I have 6". (Been my story my whole life. Sticking to it here, too.) *Love* it.

If all you are looking to do is read books, then it really is the perfect size. The larger model has some minor increased functionality, but the increased footprint really makes it something different besides a casual book reader.

tsptalk
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Good to know. thanks

clester
02-20-2010, 07:08 AM
I want the new iPad!

My son has the kindle 2 and subscribes to and reads newspapers mostly. I think he likes it.

tsptalk
02-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all of your input! I ordered my 6" Kindle 2 today. :)

Viva_La_Migra
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all of your input! I ordered my 6" Kindle 2 today. :)
I picked up the Kindle App on my iphone this weekend. The App was free and it works great! I was able to read five chapters of the latest Vince Flynn book as a sample. I haven't paid for the whole book yet, but it'll only be $9.99 when I do. No need for me to get the Kindle now.:D

Viva_La_Migra
03-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I want the new iPad!

Me too, but I've been debating between getting the wifi only version or the wifi/3g version. You have to pay a service fee with AT&T if you get the wifi/3g version. The Apple store couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what the service fee would be when I went in a week or so ago to inquire about them.