PDA

View Full Version : 'Deadliest Catch' captain dies

poolman
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I love this show and I was worried about this guy. RIP Captain.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_phil_harris

http://www.corneliamarie.com/

CrabClaw
02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Yea I like that show and Phil also. But geez, what an unhealthy lifestyle: cigarettes, lots of stress, bad food, and no sleep.

Buster
02-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I love this show and I was worried about this guy. RIP Captain.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_phil_harris

http://www.corneliamarie.com/

Oh Crap!..I love this show as well..I knew it wouldn't be long for Capt Phil...He had that lung problem last season ago...so he was in bad shape then..So Sad!:(

Another one on the radar for bad health is Sig of the Northwestern...

burrocrat
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Yea I like that show and Phil also. But geez, what an unhealthy lifestyle: cigarettes, lots of stress, bad food, and no sleep.

you'll get plenty of sleep when you're dead. life is fragile but meant to be lived.

Buster
02-11-2010, 09:03 AM
A tribute to Captain Phil....

uetgavq5tTw&feature=related

Nordic
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
you'll get plenty of sleep when you're dead. life is fragile but meant to be lived.

Hard to live when you're dead from an unhealthy lifestyle.

SkyPilot
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
R.I.P. Capt. Harris. We knew you too briefly.

kar_crazy
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
love the show will be missed , hope the boy's can keep the boat and continue the crabbing. RIP Phill

WorkFE
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Great show

burrocrat
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Hard to live when you're dead from an unhealthy lifestyle.

and perhaps equally hard to spend eternity wishing you had lived, on something other than tofurkey and poofberries.

Nordic
02-12-2010, 08:51 AM
and perhaps equally hard to spend eternity wishing you had lived, on something other than tofurkey and poofberries.

Who said anything about dingleberries? If "good living" consists of addictions and a generally unhealthy lifestyle, which irresponsibly impacts family and taxpayers, then society has a serious problem. If the captain's lifestyle impacted only himself, then he can go off into the bush and smoke and drink himself into the permafrost. Unfortunately, he now has a family and crew who are left to pick up the pieces...all of which probably could have been prevented if he took better care of himself. Of course he'll be missed, but too many people selfishly don't consider the consequences of their actions on those around them.

burrocrat
02-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Who said anything about dingleberries? If "good living" consists of addictions and a generally unhealthy lifestyle, which irresponsibly impacts family and taxpayers, then society has a serious problem. If the captain's lifestyle impacted only himself, then he can go off into the bush and smoke and drink himself into the permafrost. Unfortunately, he now has a family and crew who are left to pick up the pieces...all of which probably could have been prevented if he took better care of himself. Of course he'll be missed, but too many people selfishly don't consider the consequences of their actions on those around them.

i'm sure he paid his fair share of taxes, i would like to see an internal revenue comparison between captain phil and treasury timmy by the way, and he set a fine example of some things his family should not follow, the choice however is always up to the individual, liberty.

i am waiting however for the fat tax, it's always awkward to listen to a gal two axe handles wide preach about restraint, we all have our demons, is that a chocolate bar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Buster
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Welcome to the real world....Just think, if you lived in China, you would be punished if you had more than one kid...:rolleyes:

WorkFE
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Just think, if you lived in China, you would be punished if you had more than one kid...:rolleyes:

A project that in time is going to bite them in the @$$. IMO

CapeChem
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Let's ask captain Phil if he thinks his lifestyle justified his existence.

burrocrat
02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Let's ask captain Phil if he thinks his lifestyle justified his existence.

only one gets to ask that question, and He already knows the answer, not for me to judge.

if you ever had the all you can eat snow crab special at red lobster then you have already justified his existence.

maybe we need a new gubmint agency CEA, crab enforcement agency, just cause you buy it from an old friend and hang out in the shed slathering butter on the legs in private doesn't mean you're not hurting someone. supporting the market with your purchases = terrorism right?

you vote with your stomachs (dollars) folks, the product is always there, ask yourself what lengths you are willing to support people producing it. keep in mind that just because you don't buy it doesn't mean other people shouldn't have the right too, see paragraph one.

funny i'm one now, but not always so, many fed folks spend all day inside at a perfect climate controlled 72 degrees and get mad at the waiter because the cook underprepared their protien, but know nothing about - let alone have actually worked physically hard to produce - a commodity of actual value.

been there, rang that bell. don't begrudge another their experience until you've walked a deck in their xtra tuffs, american made by the way http://www.xtratufboots.com/, don't get caught without 'em, always carry a spare victorinox inside your grundens, and never step in the bite.

Buster
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
only one gets to ask that question, and He already knows the answer, not for me to judge.

if you ever had the all you can eat snow crab special at red lobster then you have already justified his existence.

maybe we need a new gubmint agency CEA, crab enforcement agency, just cause you buy it from an old friend and hang out in the shed slathering butter on the legs in private doesn't mean you're not hurting someone. supporting the market with your purchases = terrorism right?

you vote with your stomachs (dollars) folks, the product is always there, ask yourself what lengths you are willing to support people producing it. keep in mind that just because you don't buy it doesn't mean other people shouldn't have the right too, see paragraph one.

funny i'm one now, but not always so, many fed folks spend all day inside at a perfect climate controlled 72 degrees and get mad at the waiter because the cook underprepared their protien, but know nothing about - let alone have actually worked physically hard to produce - a commodity of actual value.

been there, rang that bell. don't begrudge another their experience until you've walked a deck in their xtra tuffs, american made by the way http://www.xtratufboots.com/, don't get caught without 'em, always carry a spare victorinox inside your grundens, and never step in the bite.
Ummm, could you translate that into english?...You lost me at CEA:D:D

burrocrat
02-12-2010, 12:01 PM
waka waka wiggle, not phonetically correct, but if you ever seen and heard your platform turn plastic with no backup in sight you know the feeling.

only two ways to react and no time think, better get it right, everybody gets one chance.

PessOptimist
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
It's so nice to see everyone paying tribute to a recently deceased fellow human being without proselytizing their own narrow personal beliefs.

Buster
02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
waka waka wiggle, not phonetically correct, but if you ever seen and heard your platform turn plastic with no backup in sight you know the feeling.

only two ways to react and no time think, better get it right, everybody gets one chance.

Dude...back away from the coffee pot..you've had a little too much already...:D

burrocrat
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Dude...back away from the coffee pot..you've had a little too much already...:D

yeah, decaf always does that to me.

my apologies, it's personal.

alevin
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I understood him perfectly first time, and I didn't have to be there either. Might help some tho if you know he meant 'bight" when he said "bite". old girlscout here-ropes and knots. ;)

Buster
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I understood him perfectly first time, and I didn't have to be there either. Might help some tho if you know he meant 'bight" when he said "bite". old girlscout here-ropes and knots. ;)

Well you deserve another badge for your sash...

http://www.epilogsys.com/littleawards/ImagesAwards/2009Awards/CookieSmart01LASC9.jpg

Bullitt
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
This is one hell of a show. Was he the guy who lost a propeller in the fist episode of the recent season? The stress these guys go through.... no thanks.

Nordic
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
A project that in time is going to bite them in the @$$. IMO

No doubt, lock up the daughters :blink:

James48843
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I bought three pounds of crab legs this week in honor of Capt Phil.

Just plain- with melted butter.

Tossed them in boiling water for a while, then got out a set of Stanely 6 1/2 inch slip joint pliers,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nboENVC-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and a fork.

Nothing is quite as sweet as crab legs in melted butter.

I like the claws the best.

nnuut
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I bought three pounds of crab legs this week in honor of Capt Phil.

Just plain- with melted butter.

Tossed them in boiling water for a while, then got out a set of Stanely 6 1/2 inch slip joint pliers,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nboENVC-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and a fork.

Nothing is quite as sweet as crab legs in melted butter.

I like the claws the best.
Crab Legs and me are like GRITS and EGGS!!
Ever try Dungeness crab?
Yummy!! 8343

burrocrat
02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
... but i'm feeling much better now ... back on the leaded coffee.

just spent two days working cattle for a bull sale under a clear bright sky, mid-teens for the high, so long as you're geared up, keep moving, and the wind stays down it is quite pleasant.

some of the best range-raised genetics around, animals are good at what they do. just apply calm confident pressure to help them make the easy choices and go where they want to go no need to yell and fight, but don't wade in there with fear or cockiness they can smell it and will knock you down, also help to have an eye for range of hoof and stay a good 6" farther back.

if i was near a proper store or restraunt i'd go for the crab legs in honor of Phil too, but a good ribeye did the trick, now for a couple of aleve, a hot soak, and a little reflection on the finer things in life, most often found with your boots on the ground in the vicinity of honest effort.

Nordic
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM

His occupation has nothing to do with this discussion. His occupation didn't kill him, his unhealthy lifestyle did. Your first post disrespects his family and crew, who I'm sure would prefer him to be alive, even if that meant putting down the cigarettes and getting a few more winks...and getting off the boat if necessary.

burrocrat
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
His occupation has nothing to do with this discussion. His occupation didn't kill him, his unhealthy lifestyle did. Your first post disrespects his family and crew, who I'm sure would prefer him to be alive, even if that meant putting down the cigarettes and getting a few more winks...and getting off the boat if necessary.

aahhh, but some occupations lend themselves to unhealthly lifestyles. are you committed enough to separate the two or has the desk job treated you kindly?

with all due respect i disagree, it is not up to family or crew, each individual faces their own circumstances and choices, the brotherhood i know accepts and respects just the same.

umm, i'll take dying doing what you love for $100 over living in a box anyday, alex.

James48843
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
My local market is selling crab legs and claws at $6.99 a pound today.

I am thinking I may go get another couple of pounds just to celebrate the life and times of Capt. Phil.

What do you think? Is President's Day the new "Crab Holiday"?

Buster
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
My local market is selling crab legs and claws at $6.99 a pound today.

I am thinking I may go get another couple of pounds just to celebrate the life and times of Capt. Phil.

What do you think? Is President's Day the new "Crab Holiday"?

Sounds good to me..I'm going to Red Lobster tonight for all you can eat...:nuts:

Viva_La_Migra
02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
His occupation had a lot to do with his passing. Have you watched that show? They stay up and work for days at a stretch without sleep. Coffee and cigarettes are regularly consumed in an effort to remain awake. High fat, high calorie meals, when they take the time to eat, are needed to provide energy for the physical labor the fishermen take part in. Add to that the stress of making their quota and ensuring the safety of the crew and the ship. It's no wonder these guys die so young.

Captain Phil, thank you for your work in getting my wife the King Crab that she so loves! May you be forgiven of your sins and may you now rest in peace in the Kingdom of Heaven.

burrocrat
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
His occupation had a lot to do with his passing. Have you watched that show? They stay up and work for days at a stretch without sleep. Coffee and cigarettes are regularly consumed in an effort to remain awake. High fat, high calorie meals, when they take the time to eat, are needed to provide energy for the physical labor the fishermen take part in. Add to that the stress of making their quota and ensuring the safety of the crew and the ship. It's no wonder these guys die so young.

Captain Phil, thank you for your work in getting my wife the King Crab that she so loves! May you be forgiven of your sins and may you now rest in peace in the Kingdom of Heaven.

amen.

alevin
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
the high energy demand makes me think of wildland firefighter lifestyle in fire camps. High calorie foods, coffee, 12-14-hour shifts/14 day assignments, 3days off between assignments,

if spiked out in outlying camps food deliveries may be inadvertently missed, no sleeping on the fireline (might get run over by a dozer cutting line, or the fire might run up and get you, crew safety first and foremost philosophy (in theory-doesn't always work that way in reality=high stress and

ultra high responsibility/accountability on part of supervisors down to first level=high stress loads),
on the fireline-18-watchout situations to remember (developing situations where people have died in the past when they didn't recognize). Be ready to run and/or deploy the shake n bake.

No wonder career firefighters get to retire at 20 years in service. Outside fire season, they tend to live much healthier, so they are fit for fire season at least.

Nordic
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
aahhh, but some occupations lend themselves to unhealthly lifestyles. are you committed enough to separate the two or has the desk job treated you kindly?

with all due respect i disagree, it is not up to family or crew, each individual faces their own circumstances and choices, the brotherhood i know accepts and respects just the same.

umm, i'll take dying doing what you love for $100 over living in a box anyday, alex.

Occupations don't pull the trigger, and playing the blame game doesn't relieve anyone of accountability. Of course they're separate, plenty of those cats choose not to engage in the same risky behaviors. It may be more difficult to operate that way, but it's still a choice and not a requisite. Never said it was the family's or crew's choice what the captain did, just that they'd want to have him alive, which should be obvious.

Really, I have a desk job? Are you sure (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Need real evidence to be drawing those kinds of conclusions, and differing opinion does not evidence make.

Buster
02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Out goes one, in comes another...http://www.hummeraddicts.com/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/sad3.gif

burrocrat
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Occupations don't pull the trigger, and playing the blame game doesn't relieve anyone of accountability. Of course they're separate, plenty of those cats choose not to engage in the same risky behaviors. It may be more difficult to operate that way, but it's still a choice and not a requisite. Never said it was the family's or crew's choice what the captain did, just that they'd want to have him alive, which should be obvious.

Really, I have a desk job? Are you sure (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Need real evidence to be drawing those kinds of conclusions, and differing opinion does not evidence make.

happy president's day Nordic.

the reference to the desk job was more of a 'he who is without sin cast the first stone' analogy, we all have things we could do different, nothing personal.

the 'you'll get enough sleep when you're dead' post was in no way meant to be disrespectful, if you've ever fished commercially then you've either said it or heard it, and if you're complainin then you're gonna hear it, everyone else is just as tired too, trade jargon, term of endearment, whatever.

i respect your right to your opinion, i also have my own.

Nordic
02-17-2010, 02:12 AM
happy president's day Nordic.

the reference to the desk job was more of a 'he who is without sin cast the first stone' analogy, we all have things we could do different, nothing personal.

the 'you'll get enough sleep when you're dead' post was in no way meant to be disrespectful, if you've ever fished commercially then you've either said it or heard it, and if you're complainin then you're gonna hear it, everyone else is just as tired too, trade jargon, term of endearment, whatever.

i respect your right to your opinion, i also have my own.

Happy Presiden't Day to you also, burro. I'm sure we can agree on one thing (probably more), we're pretty fortunate to be living in a country where we're able to freely and openly engage. I too respect your opinion, and very much respect what the commercial fishing fleets do for us. Takes special character to work on those boats. Now I need to go over and give Buster a hug.

KevinD
02-17-2010, 06:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJOIqVAD-s

burrocrat
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Happy Presiden't Day to you also, burro. I'm sure we can agree on one thing (probably more), we're pretty fortunate to be living in a country where we're able to freely and openly engage. I too respect your opinion, and very much respect what the commercial fishing fleets do for us. Takes special character to work on those boats. Now I need to go over and give Buster a hug.

agreed, the commercial fishing fleet is full of 'special characters', there's room for all of us down here.

i'm convinced we are all crazy, it's just that many folks are crazy in the same way so they get called normal.

and yes we are fortunate, despite the political or finacial doom and gloom on any given day, life is a gift, and full of opportunity.

burrocrat
02-17-2010, 08:44 AM
i'm lovin it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJOIqVAD-s