PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Mode

burrocrat
02-06-2010, 08:21 AM
There are 3 status options that can be represented by a colored dot by a user's name, accessed by clicking Quick Links>Edit Options>Invisible Mode:

Grey = Offline
Green = Online
Red = Invisible Mode

Which raises some interesting questions...

Anonymous poll, of course.

burrocrat
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
over a dozen views but only two votes, obviously we got some A's and C's out there. c'mon you 'heart on your sleeve' folks take the poll so there will be enough answers for the 'peep and pop' folks to hide their responses.

Boghie
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm kinda dumb.

Your explanation seems good, but my little brain dot is either grey or green.

Do some folks out there hide behind a red dot?

Sad, very sad...

burrocrat
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Do some folks out there hide behind a red dot?

I think so, i just found out about it the other day.

I'm a grey from work, check on breaks of course, green log in from home.

If you look down at the bottom of the main page it tells you who is logged in, i always wondered how people could post in threads without showing as logged in, now i know.

I'm all for a level playing field, red dot seems sneaky to me, but what do i know, i'm a little dumb too.

stupadahso.

Bullitt
02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
My browser has my login saved so I'm logged on and Green any time I check in.

JTH
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I use red, because it's none of your business how much time I waste in this forum. Red is not sneaky, what is sneaky is what the government/corparations records from you without your knowledge.

KevinD
02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm RED(neck) and proud of it! :D Whats sneaky about it?

PessOptimist
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I use red, because it's none of your business how much time I waste in this forum. Red is not sneaky, what is sneaky is what the government/corparations records from you without your knowledge.

Everything you do on a computer is recorded somewhere. The big difference in using government owned computers and networks/network connections (like at work) is you know everything you do is recorded. :blink:

Buster
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Ah, whatever..

Back when TSP was warning us that multi-IFTs a month was on the outs and began spot curtailment of certain members here. TSP then sent out letters to the major offenders informing them that they were held to two IFTs a month until the rule went into affect permanently ..The members began to get vocal and was not afraid at the time to write where Mr. Long and the rest of the TSP bigshots could go stick it in their bung holes...TSP was and still is I'm sure monitoring this MB...Soon TSP began contacting these members employing agencies and that lead to further at work investigations...So as a result of that time and action, several members went underground and changed their log on names and when into invisible mode...Sneaky?, nah, just self preserving IMHO>

JTH
02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Ah, whatever..

Thanks Buster, you made my point better than I could have.

PessOptimist
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Hide or not, individual choice. Learned about another MB feature and while looking refound the panic button. Don't know I will ever use either. My point was that every time you do anything on a network it is recorded somewhere. If on a stand alone computer, it is recorded on that computer. At least at work they are up front about the monitoring. Same thing with your phone calls/voice mail. Amost forgot, many copy/fax machines save a copy to a hard drive. They are watching you:worried:

KevinD
02-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Invisible mode is a privacy feature from other board members...not big brother. Think of it as a "do not disturb" sign.

"They" are watching...but if you are not "they" then...

And whats with this sneaky Anonymous poll anyway?

burrocrat
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
And whats with this sneaky Anonymous poll anyway?

oops, i must have missed the mis-speeling the first time around, i meant 'snarky'.

burrocrat
02-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Invisible mode is a privacy feature from other board members...not big brother. Think of it as a "do not disturb" sign.

"They" are watching...but if you are not "they" then...

I think it's like putting someone on speaker phone without telling them, it just a common courtesy to let folks know who is participating. I find eavesdropping kind of 'disturbing' and if you didn't want to be disturbed then why get on and post?

and if 'they are watching' then it should be fair to be watched in return.

it's none of other people's business what kind of underwear you wear, but if you walk down the public forum street in them, don't be surprised if people notice what color they are.

KevinD
02-07-2010, 09:50 AM
and if 'they are watching' then it should be fair to be watched in return.

Let us know how that works out for you, mKay? :laugh:

it's none of other people's business what kind of underwear you wear, but if you walk down the public forum street in them, don't be surprised if people notice what color they are.

I prefer to keep my underwear anonymous.

:D

KevinD
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Currently Active Users: 81 (14 members and 67 guests)

burrocrat
02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
freedom of speach, just watch what you say.

KevinD
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
just do what you do because it's what you feel you need to do, no matter your reasons.

:) :nuts: :D

burrocrat
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
to each his own.

I prefer to keep my underwear anonymous.:D

i prefer to keep mine clean.

KevinD
02-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey burrocrat - How about filling in your location.

(You know I'm just board, right?)

burrocrat
02-07-2010, 10:21 AM
two shay. i think a certain amount of discretion is ok, but peepin and poppin i don't like. like stimpy said, the goose and gander thing is 'ok in my book', or maybe it was ren. and they may have been talking about a nose goblin collection, but who can forget powdered toast man?

i posted my location on my jail card, but i surrendered that to the authorities to get out of a sticky situation at the gym. besides, i think folks found it disturbing, not being able to see my face and all.

i'm board too, gotta have a hobby.

KevinD
02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I missed that pic but it did get you a lot of attention... :blink: :D

Boghie
02-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Folks,

Sneaky was a joke...

I don't think the 'Red Button' protects anyone from log entries - especially if you write something during hard labor hours. When you should be breaking rocks you shouldn't be writing posts.:p Everything in moderation.

And, I think the TSP bubbas can get a list of rapid traders without referencing rapid posting on this site. Did anyone get poked by their supervisor around the time of the Great IFT Ruling?

grandma
02-07-2010, 07:30 PM
my control (admittedly not always in gear) :blink:for not posting TOO impulsively is to read before signing in, so I don't ALWAYS go off half cocked & shoot someone in the foot! And it is convenient if I know I have only a few minutes to do a quick review of who is where, and maybe why.

But then there are times I am so overwhelmed by the need to see what the `tsptalk members only' attachment is, I HAVE to get signed in, immediately!
Aside from that - I wasn't even aware there was a `red' option!

Shoot - :oall this time I been looking to see who is on board & thinking about whether I have something I'd like to share with or ask them, & maybe even use proper grammer...never include advised sentence structure, tho - that goes agin my grain...... and it turns out they might be on board, but are safe from :laugh: harrassment!