PDA

View Full Version : Scams Thread

Intrepid_Timer
12-04-2009, 07:41 AM
With all the scams going on, thought it would be nice to start a "scams thread" so we can inform each other of these atrocities. I'll start:

Be careful of this holiday scam. Police say that the gang usually is comprised of four members, one adult and three younger ones.
While the three younger ones, all appearing sweet and innocent,divert their "mark" (or intended target) with a show of friendliness,the fourth -- the eldest -- sneaks in from behind the person's backto expertlyrifle through his or her pocket or purse for any valuables.

Be on the alert!!!

Scroll down to see a photo from a recent attack that was captured on film...

http://www.tsptalk.com/images/mb/120409a.gif

This is being called the AFLAC Scam

Buster
12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
This happening at Targets??

Show-me
12-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Mike,

Image did not show up.

grandma
12-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Scroll down to see a photo ...

http://f537.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f1129256%5fABclvs4AANKwSxkL6gJ1BVL FclE&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1
This is being called the AFLAC Scam

No Image !!

Intrepid_Timer
12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Mike,

Image did not show up.

Hmmm, image showed up on my end? I don't seem to be able to save the pic for some reason. Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

CountryBoy
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Maybe... the thread is really the scam.... kinda like...made ya look! :laugh: Way to go Mike.

tsptalk
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, image showed up on my end? I don't seem to be able to save the pic for some reason. Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Do you have a link to the image / page with the image? (or maybe it was an email - might not work that way).

But if you can PM or email it to me and I'll insert it into your post.

Frixxxx
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Don't bother. JOKE!

http://www.jumbojoke.com/aflac_street_scam_alert.html

Intrepid_Timer
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Don't bother. JOKE!

http://www.jumbojoke.com/aflac_street_scam_alert.html

Thanks Frixxxx! Yes it was a joke. Not all scams have to be bad..........:D

Frixxxx
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks Frixxxx! Yes it was a joke. Not all scams have to be bad..........:D
I loved it!:D I think I ruined it for everyone though! Sorry!

coolhand
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Here's a very real and widespread scam that's not getting much press. I know about this first hand, so pay attention. Especially if you have a cell phone.

Several months ago I was reviewing my cell phone bill and noticed something that didn't make sense. First, let me say I've got a family plan and at the time had a lot of bells and whistles in that plan. My bill was never the same month to month as I was being charged for downloaded data at a given rate. Not to mention separate charges for text messages, which my daughter occasionally used.

What I noticed was some charges had begun to appear for "premium" service text messaging. I had no idea what they were, but most were not cheap. The bill I was looking at had four of them at $9.99 each and were for a received text message that "appeared" to be something that either I or my family were subscribed to. I started digging into it and found out that there were companies making a business of sending unsolicited text messages to all of my family plan cell phones and billing them to my provider (in this case Sprint).

I then got out my previous bills and saw that this scam had started several months before. First with one charge, then two or three the next month, and now I was up to five. I didn't even realize this was happening or could happen. How can Sprint be charging me for something I didn't ask for.

The short answer is, a third party can and often do bill to your cell phone company. The cell phone company does not ask questions, nor were they required to. So as long I didn't notice these charges, they kept coming in with more frequency.

To say the least I was incensed. To shorten this story, Sprint removed every false charge from my billing for every month it occured, so in the end it didn't cost me anything. But be aware, some of these charges are more innocuous as they may on by for .20 as was the case from one entity that was billing me from "Guatemala".

I also checked around on the internet and saw that many people were experiencing the same thing.

It's interesting that the phone company's are keeping mum about this. The service rep I spoke to did not question the validity of my claims, but proceeded to remove them from my bill. They went out of the way to make me happy. She made it sound as though this was an unusual situation, but I got the impression it was rehearsed feedback. They know this is going on, but for their own reasons staying quiet about it.

So check your cell phone bill very carefully. I put a block on every number that was billing my account and so far have not had another incident.

tsptalk
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks CH.

Intrepid_Timer
12-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I was getting the same thing with Verizon. Turns out it was some horoscope site that I never subscribed to.

Intrepid_Timer
12-11-2009, 09:07 AM
BTW Coolhand, how do you like Sprint? I recently switched to them from Verizon and have never had so many dropped calls in my life. I'll be going back to Verizon as soon as possible. I switched because I'll be going to Texas at the end of the year and they have better coverage there. Guess we'll see if it works better there than here in MD.

coolhand
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
BTW Coolhand, how do you like Sprint? I recently switched to them from Verizon and have never had so many dropped calls in my life. I'll be going back to Verizon as soon as possible. I switched because I'll be going to Texas at the end of the year and they have better coverage there. Guess we'll see if it works better there than here in MD.

Of course dropped calls are completely dependent on a given system's coverage. I've had relatively few dropped calls with Sprint, but because I live a fairly remote area I asked around with my neighbors to see what they were using and found only a couple of carriers who had decent coverage for where I was living. Sprint was one of them so I switched from AT&T, (which was horrible at the time before they merged with another carrier some years ago).

Minnow
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Not that you asked me... but check out StraightTalk.com your circumstances might fit what they're offering... verizon's network without the contract.

tsptalk
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Last night I noticed that someone was using my debit card in another state (CA). They got $900+ from ATM's, I assume using a cloned card since I still have my card.

I was in Nevada recently and used my card to pay for a few things, so I assume that's where it was swiped.

Be careful. Don't let your card out of your site. Pay the cashier, not the waitresses. Avoid those small ATM machines as I hear that is one when they get your info, then camera's capture you entering in your PIN.

nnuut
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Last night I noticed that someone was using my debit card in another state (CA). They got $900+ from ATM's, I assume using a cloned card since I still have my card.

I was in Nevada recently and used my card to pay for a few things, so I assume that's where it was swiped.

Be careful. Don't let your card out of your site. Pay the cashier, not the waitresses. Avoid those small ATM machines as I hear that is one when they get your info, then camera's capture you entering in your PIN.

Sorry to hear that Tom!! I had some checks stolen about 6 months ago. they wrote about $500 in 2 hours. My credit Union refunded the money to me because the checks were accepted with the wrong signature etc. CROOKS! Here's one way they do it:
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp