PDA

View Full Version : "Underwater" Mortgage debt

James48843
11-25-2009, 05:58 AM
New data shows more than 22.6% of all American mortgages are now "Underwater", owing more to the bank than the house is worth. Arizona is at 47%. Nevada is at 65%. Complete list of state-by-state home value to debt below:

State by state breakdown:

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/info-NEGATIVE_EQUITY_0911.html

KevinD
11-25-2009, 06:45 AM
100% of all homes that are lost to foreclosure had a mortgage on them.

This adds nothing to the conversation but thats never stopped me before. :D

alevin
11-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Interesting that Shadowstats current %unemployment value (as defined in earlier eras), matches the %underwater mortgage figure at national scale. :suspicious:

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

I tried to hotlink the unemployment chart I'm referring to, but evidently I don't understand "hot links", so you'll have to find the chart at the link. Sorry, Scroll down.

FAB1
11-25-2009, 08:51 AM
In a light green (0-10%) state

but I dont know if my own home is "underwater"
or not, probably is. :rolleyes:

KevinD
06-18-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/naca-workshop-draws-thousands-061410

ATLANTA - A workshop to help homeowners reduce their mortgage payments and keep their homes is back in Atlanta for a second time. The program by the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America has been hugely successful.

Thousands of people have been lining up and camping out at the workshop.

https://www.naca.com/index_main.jsp

NACA’s historic Save the Dream Tour has been an incredible success with hundreds of thousands participants in thirteen cities. Thousands of homeowners received same day solutions having their mortgage payments permanently reduced by over $500 and many by over $1,000 a month often with interest rates reduced to 3% or 2% and sometimes a principal reduction. NACA has legally binding agreements with all the major lenders / servicers to achieve this. All of NACA’s services are FREE

Why are they even considering principal reduction? What about those of us who didn't get overextended? Why are they getting interest rate reductions? I sure could use a 2% mortgage but I'm not under water or behind on my mortgage. Where is the adjustment to the term?

My solution would be to give these folks a 150 year mortgage. Yep...1800 payments. The home still stands as collateral for the mortgage and the loam amount is still the same. No foreclosure for the banks to deal with, no glut of homes in the market, home values remain artificially high and Jimmy Carter's dream is still alive. Maybe, just maybe after 5 or 10 years home values would come back to the point that they are no longer under water but until then the borrower can mark time and make payments.

There would need to be certain restrictions like no wrap around mortgages and no rental property but I think this would be a viable solution. I'm sure some of you will show me where I'm wrong.

alevin
06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
the thing about prohibition against turning primary mortgage property into rental property is that would keep an unemployed person from moving to take a job that would let them keep those mortgage payments going.

Back in the early 80's, I moved minimum 1x/year to follow the work that was available, which was often contract time-limited employment ( I also moved from time-filler lowpaid steady-employment service work to take time-limited professional/technical jobs that would boost my resume).

I was a renter of course until I was in my mid-30s.

Frixxxx
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Let's just pass a bill to make it a law that everyone be allowed to own a house.

We'll call it the National House Care bill and those who can't afford a mortgage will have it subsidized by those who can afford their house. If you don't own a house you will be charged a fine and forced to live in government housing.

That should just about house everyone!:mad: Taking this to the Beltway! www.beltwaytalk.com (http://www.beltwaytalk.com)

KevinD
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I truly didn't think my post was political in any way... :embarrest:

Why take it to the Belyway? :confused:

Frixxxx
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I truly didn't think my post was political in any way... :embarrest:

Why take it to the Belyway? :confused:
My comments were!:nuts:

crws
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
After all the real estate we indirectly financed via the bankster bailout, some of that gubmint housing looks better than mine!:D

Ever browse thru FL? This isn't it, but I hit on a street with Google street view that was wall to wall for sale signs. -Amazing
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/230-Southwest-13Th-Ct_Cape-Coral_FL_33991_1117206494
What 150k gets you...

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/lde379742-m0m.jpg http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/lde379742-m1m.jpg

Let's just pass a bill to make it a law that everyone be allowed to own a house.

We'll call it the National House Care bill and those who can't afford a mortgage will have it subsidized by those who can afford their house. If you don't own a house you will be charged a fine and forced to live in government housing.

That should just about house everyone!:mad: Taking this to the Beltway! www.beltwaytalk.com (http://www.beltwaytalk.com)

Bullitt
06-22-2010, 07:45 AM
the thing about prohibition against turning primary mortgage property into rental property is that would keep an unemployed person from moving to take a job that would let them keep those mortgage payments going.

Great point. Owning a house is overrated. How many Americans actually 'own' their home anyway? Most people are stuck looking for jobs in their immediate area and end up selling themselves short as a result.

As far as underwater mortgages, I have no idea why anybody would believe things are any better today than two years ago.

DCguy
06-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I have the solution to all these mortgage prob's. govt just buys all under water mortgages from those crooks..or banks and let all under water ppl refinance at near 0 interest rate. Also whoever buys these underwater houses at regular price the previous owner paid also gets this low interest rate. This way, these under water house prices may be more expensive than the house nextdoor, but you end up paying the same monthly as a neighbor who paid 10's thousands less.

nnuut
06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I own mine, and recommend it!:D

XL-entLady
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I thought I owned a third of mine. Then its worth dropped by almost $200K and now I'm underwater. :( Good thing I'm not planning to sell! :worried:

nnuut
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought I owned a third of mine. Then its worth dropped by almost $200K and now I'm underwater. :( Good thing I'm not planning to sell! :worried:
You got caught in the trap. Don't move refinance it and pay it off! Payed mine off in January and am not moving so I don't care what it's worth.:toung:

CountryBoy
06-25-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm with ya nnuut and I ain't moving. At least I have a roof over my head. I was underwater in the earlier 80's by 27%, wiped out my savings and learned a hard lesson.

Buffalo_Nickle
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Your right, solvency is long road,but now you can refinance at 4.6 % - 30yrs, how much lower will it go?

XL-entLady
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm working on it. Not much interest from most companies because I AM underwater. And we already have 5 7/8% interest. But we also have a credit score of 800 so we are working with current mortgage company to see if we can bring the interest rate down.

Wish me luck!

alevin
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm working on it. Not much interest from most companies because I AM underwater. And we already have 5 7/8% interest. But we also have a credit score of 800 so we are working with current mortgage company to see if we can bring the interest rate down.

Wish me luck!

G'luck, Lady! I never refi'd back in the early 00's, mainly because I read it wasn't worth it til interest rates were 2% below what my current mortgage rate. But then it was finally worth it and I had too many other things on my plate to really focus on figuring it all out-so I didn't.

But then I focused on paying down the principal and got out from under faster anyway-which process further reduced any lingering inclination to refi at a lower rate in the meantime.

tspfl
09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
We are currently going through a refinance. There are programs available if your mortgage is backed by Fannie or Freddie. If we are able to do this and our home appraises out, we will be able to save nearly $200/mth.
They say to calculate if it is worth to refinance, take the amount of closing costs it takes to do the refinance, and divide it by the amount you will save with the new mortgage to come up with how long it will take you to break even....and to see if it is even worth doing.
For example:
Closing costs: 3,000 / 200( we would save)=15mths to break even, to start the savings.

I think the unemployment needs to be fixed to cure the housing market, that and we all need to take responsibilty of our own bad decisions.

CRWS---What are the odds that I would go on this site, after being a member for about 2wks and see a pic of a home by our MLS? I am a Realtor in SW Florida...It's a small world afterall.

crws
09-06-2010, 11:19 PM
We are currently going through a refinance. There are programs available if your mortgage is backed by Fannie or Freddie. If we are able to do this and our home appraises out, we will be able to save nearly $200/mth.
They say to calculate if it is worth to refinance, take the amount of closing costs it takes to do the refinance, and divide it by the amount you will save with the new mortgage to come up with how long it will take you to break even....and to see if it is even worth doing.
For example:
Closing costs: 3,000 / 200( we would save)=15mths to break even, to start the savings.

I think the unemployment needs to be fixed to cure the housing market, that and we all need to take responsibilty of our own bad decisions.

CRWS---What are the odds that I would go on this site, after being a member for about 2wks and see a pic of a home by our MLS? I am a Realtor in SW Florida...It's a small world afterall.

Yea, that's for sure!
Are you a union member, by chance?
http://www.unionplus.org/consumer-technology-home-savings
Highly recommended in the Mortgage Dept.