PDA

View Full Version : awol

Callme_CO
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
OK so here is my situation. I have no sick leave due to family illness as of late. Mostly my son. Two days ago my wife left work early due to a fever of a 104. I took her to the Urgent care and she was tested for and was confirmed to have H1N1 flu. I used a sick day under the FFLA. I took my son to the doctor the next day to have the test ran and he did not test positive. Doctor told me to get him out of the house while my wife ran a fever. So i drove all the way over to WV to drop my son off with my In-laws. I used another Sick day under FFLA. I was told today becuase my sick leave balance is at zero i was put in as awol. Is this possible?

nnuut
11-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Hope everyone shakes off that Pig Flu. They should let you use Annual leave if you run out of SL. If they don't agree with that ask your Union rep about your options. There is such a thing as advanced leave during special situations.:cool:

Callme_CO
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks Nnuut Finally got ahold of a union stewart. He says they have to let me use annual leave. They shouldn't have ever put me down as awol.

James48843
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
If your supervisor approved you being gone, then it's not AWOL in any case- you had leave, just didn't have a positive leave balance in the sick leave side to cover it.

If you work under title 5 rules, then your supervisor CAN advance you leave, up to the number of hours you would earn during the year. And/or your supervisor can approve annual leave instead of sick leave for it.

However, it is NOT mandatory that they grant you the advance leave, so you have to work with them on what is the proper way to cover it.

Good luck- keep your Union rep in the discussion, so there are no surprises.

alevin
11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
there is also something called LWOP if you get truly desperate-again with approval from supervisor. A short stint wouldn't have much effect on retirement date or TSP contribs, but of course there's the takehome pay angle and having to make up payments for temporary suspension of health insurance premiums while gone, once back in pay status.

Buster
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Just so y'all know..PCness has you subordinates now refer to us as Managers... 'Supervisor' is a supremacist title..

So Callme..Sounds like your boss is a Dik!

Callme_CO
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
well this paticular LT is great during emergencies but shyte with admin duties.

Show-me
11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
FMLA should protect you as long as you have not exceeded the limit of 12 weeks in any 12 months as long as you worked 1250 hours in the last 12 months.

The rule in my union is this. You us SL, then AL, then LWOP. Leave with out pay can be integrated with a managers approval to stretch out SL and AL.

If you notified your super duper supervisor you are not AWOL, they are stupid.

Let us know how it turns out. You have benifits and all you are asking is to use them.

Guest2
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
well this paticular LT is great during emergencies but shyte with admin duties.

One of my greatest pleasures in early retirement is not having to deal with such BS and Incompetence. Even when harm is not intended, they always manage to make things more difficult for those who've been the most loyal ! Sometimes, under instructions from those above your immediate supervisor. Thus, many other Agencies think the BOP stands for "Bend Over Pal". It's truly sad ! :(

By the way, HI EVERY1 ! (LoL) ! :nuts:

Callme_CO
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Talked to the Admin. Lt. and he went in and put it down as Annual Leave. So problem is fixed. The running joke around the institution isdon't get sick unless you wanna awol.

Buster
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Talked to the Admin. Lt. and he went in and put it down as Annual Leave. So problem is fixed. The running joke around the institution is don't get sick unless you wanna awol.
Good to hear....Remember, Feces occurs sometimes.:D