PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tudor Jones: Trader

Bullitt
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought this would be a fun informational video for those who believe in manipulation, a PPT, and other mythical market ideas.

This is an excellent movie if you can get past the outdated 80's styles and all with the runners, catchers, and phones. Paul Tudor Jones in action in a long lost documentary titled, The Trader. Watch how difficult it was to create a chart back in the day. He might have had an edge with charting then, but now that the retail investor can go create a chart in seconds, I believe that unless you've developed some new indicator, you have 'zero edge' in the overall market.

A great scenes are when he's selling futures but doesn't want to let anyone know about it. Nobody knew it was Jones selling short, but if it happened today, someone would be calling it manipulation. I also like the scene where he's got a couple million riding and he's having a panic attack.

Beware the lucky shoes!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/XH5W4vffBbY/

fedgolfer
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
wow, interesting video. but come Bullitt, there's a lot of manipulation in there. In that vid, PTJ even sold some to make some competitors think he was bailing only so he could accumulate more. At the time of that vid he was a small player. Now being a big player I'm sure he can create emotions in other trading houses rather than just reaciting on them. Great vid though, really shows how they capture on emotions in the short term and long term equating emotions/pricing to the to the 1987 & 20's crash.

Bullitt
11-12-2009, 01:51 PM
That was also in the days before HFT. It's all relative though. Yeah, I liked that how he was dumping shares to see if there was a bid. Today, it's probably some hedge fund or hedge funds that hammer an index or ETF below a trend line and then take it back up just to get the short squeeze going on. Most likely an ETF. Nothing new.

grandma
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanx for re-posting the Paul Tudor Jones video, Bullitt. I suppose you were the one who gave us this a couple of years ago. :)

Isn't he the trader we've heard so much about last year, under investigation & stuff? Or have I got the names twisted about? :confused:

If not, do you have an update on him? That was 20 years ago...... :blink:

Bullitt
05-09-2010, 11:01 AM
He runs a hedge fund and his information is very hard to come by. I think he's been in hot water before, especially with redemptions during the 2008 crash, but as far as I know, he's still going strong.