PDA

View Full Version : Obama bans gov't workers from texting while driving

Show-me
10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Obama bans gov't workers from texting while driving

WASHINGTON, Oct 1 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday signed an order banning federal workers from text messaging while driving on official business or using government vehicles.

"With nearly three million civilian employees, the federal government can and should demonstrate leadership in reducing the dangers of text messaging while driving," said the executive order.

It said recent deadly crashes involving drivers distracted by text messaging highlight a growing danger on the road.

"Text messaging causes drivers to take their eyes off the road and at least one hand off the steering wheel, endangering both themselves and others," it said.

The order bans federal employees from text messaging -- which it defines to include e-mailing, instant messaging or obtaining navigational information -- when driving government-owned vehicles or private vehicles while on government business.

On Wednesday, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called distracted driving a serious epidemic. Figures released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration showed more than 5,800 distracted driving deaths and 515,000 injuries last year.

Under the new executive order, all agencies in the executive branch must set up new rules and reevaluate existing programs to prohibit text messaging while driving.

They should also encourage federal employees to voluntarily comply with the policy even when they are off duty.

Some federal employees who need devices for law enforcement or national security responsibilities might be exempt from the new requirements, the order said. (Reporting by Deborah Charles; editing by Todd Eastham)

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN01286876

grandma
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
As of today that is the law for all drivers using the Arkansas highways & byways.

PessOptimist
10-01-2009, 10:13 PM

[snip]
The order bans federal employees from text messaging -- which it defines to include e-mailing, instant messaging or obtaining navigational information -- when driving government-owned vehicles or private vehicles while on government business.

On Wednesday, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called distracted driving a serious epidemic. Figures released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration showed more than 5,800 distracted driving deaths and 515,000 injuries last year.

Under the new executive order, all agencies in the executive branch must set up new rules and reevaluate existing programs to prohibit text messaging while driving.

The underlined italics are my addition. Gotta agree with the idea behind this. Will some worthy manager define obtaining navigational information as using a GPS device? That's gonna make life very difficult for a lot of us trying to find sites or structures out in the middle of nowhere. Of course, those managers only leave their offices to go to DC and schmooze so they will probably have a driver assigned and won't need a GPS.

grandma
10-01-2009, 10:21 PM
As of today that is the law for all drivers using the Arkansas highways & byways.
Clarification: I hadn't read the part of the Fed's that went beyond just texting. The ARkansas law is `no texting' ; also a law for under 18's: No talking on cell phone, anywhichway.

tsptalk
10-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Good for him! I can get on board this decision.

dannyboy
10-02-2009, 06:40 PM
:)
Good for him! I can get on board this decision.
:) fORMER GOVERNMENT COURIER-DRIVER, I agree
DB

WorkFE
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I also 100% agree with the decision however people have been Eating triple woppers with cheese and drinking big gulp 64 oz. drinks while driving for as long as I can remember. People smoking while driving, smoke in their eyes. Make up application, shaving, reading maps etc.
On military installations it is against the law unless you have a handsfree device. I know people who should not be talking to the passenger while driving.
You would think that any of these actions could be considered reckless or careless, some enforcement would go along way.
There are already enough laws out there. You can find violations on a simple 10 mile trip, it can hapen wright in front of an officer and they do not pull them over. Like TURN SIGNALS.
Just ranting.

Buster
10-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Great move, 100% agree

..I just wish they make it a NATIONAL BAN soon with heavy penalties.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FIL8ZMUcACQs3M:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/3431395666_b21fc5a784.jpg

alevin
10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I called a coworker/longtime colleague and friend the other day not knowing he was enroute to his home office 100 miles away, caught him on the interstate. He said he could talk because he had a hands-free setup in his work vehicle now. I asked him to pull over and stop anyway, please. He did-just because it was me who asked. :cool:

KevinD
10-03-2009, 06:27 AM
I also 100% agree with the decision however people have been Eating triple woppers with cheese and drinking big gulp 64 oz. drinks while driving for as long as I can remember. People smoking while driving, smoke in their eyes. Make up application, shaving, reading maps etc.

Delivering mail... :blink: :)

burrocrat
10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Great, another attempt to regulate common sense. That has worked out sooooooo well in the past.

Next there will be a requirement that if you own a cell phone you must purchase a 'mobile device' attachment to your auto insurance policy, with substantial fines if you are caught with your papers not in order.

Of course, for an additional fee, it would protect you from all sorts of your own stupidity, such as accidentally texting innappropriate pictures of yourself to your boss when drunk, calling your wife on the way home to ask what's for supper (that's mysoginistic you know), and even throwing the phone out the window after your 16 year old daughter calls to tell you she just had an abortion without your consent - "heck officer, please don't write me that littering ticket, i didn't even know she was pregnant! plus i gots the insurance see?"

Let's call a spade a spade here: this is another seemingly innocuous rule that we all be pressured to subject ourselves to for the good of society while our liberties and freedom of choice are slowly eroded. Quit worrying so much about the idiots that need to be told how to properly utilize a cell phone, they tend to revoke their own swimming passes soon enough. Out of the Gene Pool!

Here's the real issue:

law enforcement or national security responsibilities might be exempt from the new requirements

Can't see the forest for the trees.

Buster
10-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Great, another attempt to regulate common sense. That has worked out sooooooo well in the past.

Next there will be a requirement that if you own a cell phone you must purchase a 'mobile device' attachment to your auto insurance policy, with substantial fines if you are caught with your papers not in order.

Of course, for an additional fee, it would protect you from all sorts of your own stupidity, such as accidentally texting innappropriate pictures of yourself to your boss when drunk, calling your wife on the way home to ask what's for supper (that's mysoginistic you know), and even throwing the phone out the window after your 16 year old daughter calls to tell you she just had an abortion without your consent - "heck officer, please don't write me that littering ticket, i didn't even know she was pregnant! plus i gots the insurance see?"

Let's call a spade a spade here: this is another seemingly innocuous rule that we all be pressured to subject ourselves to for the good of society while our liberties and freedom of choice are slowly eroded. Quit worrying so much about the idiots that need to be told how to properly utilize a cell phone, they tend to revoke their own swimming passes soon enough. Out of the Gene Pool!

Here's the real issue:

Can't see the forest for the trees.
Kudos..I love the sarcasm:D:D

Silverbird
10-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Cmon! of course you shouldn't be texting while driving, you need two hands to text (or at least some of you fingers on *both* hands are busy). This has caused a lot of accidents, you can't control your car and text.

For GPS, use a hands free device. Why are you texting to get GPS anyway? Reading directions, driving, and typing in commands at the same time??

Gumby
10-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I feel safer already knowing that fellow drivers of GOV's are NOT texting anymore.:)

JTH
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Great, another attempt to regulate common sense.

Much agree, besides you can't fix stupid, that's Darwin's job.

tsptalk
10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Much agree, besides you can't fix stupid, that's Darwin's job.
But you can fire stupid people. :)

It's a tough call, but I think I would rather be a passenger in a car with someone under the influence than with someone texting.

JTH
10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
But you can fire stupid people. :)

I can't even fathom the idea of texting and driving at the same time?

As far as this law is concerned, the Libertarian in me could care less since this only pertains to gov workers.

grandma
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
[/size][/font]

... As far as this law is concerned, the Libertarian in me could care less since this only pertains to gov workers.

BUMP: read #4 .....
This Arkansas law is based on a bill passed when a father of several small children was killed by a texting driver.

Steadygain
10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
BUMP: read #4 .....
This Arkansas law is based on a bill passed when a father of several small children was killed by a texting driver.

Well -- I'm flabergassed ..... I mean honestly I'm dumbfounded...

Why would we need a LAW that says 'No Texting -- while Driving'??? To me that is the most Common Sense --- thing immaginable...

Do we have laws that say:
-- no poking nails in your eyes while driving?

--- no lighting fires inside your car while driving on the interstate??

I would more than throw the offenders in jail -- they would first have to get a good a**kicking from Buster, CB, Birch and me at the same time and only after that would they go to Court for an automatic sentencing. :mad::mad:

Silverbird
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, there are people who argue that there's nothing wrong with texting while driving, and policemen couldn't pull people over for doing it. Now they can.

Probably the same people who wore earphones and music at full blast while jogging in one of the huge marathons, and missed a couple announcments - now most of the marathons dis-allow wearing of headphones or earphones of any kind. Kinda sad, you'd think people would have the brains to keep one ear open.

Sometimes when its tech, it's attached to the hip, for some people it's like an arm or a leg and they can't be without it. And remember, some people think they can text and walk too (aren't they annoying?).

Also, there are bosses that get mad when you don't insta-answer, even if you are driving in downtown LA. Now when the Fed boss says "why didn't you answer my message?" you can say, "Remember, you wanted me to drive there to save money."

Steadygain
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, there are people who argue that there's nothing wrong with texting while driving, and policemen couldn't pull people over for doing it. Now they can.

Probably the same people who wore earphones and music at full blast while jogging in one of the huge marathons, and missed a couple announcments - now most of the marathons dis-allow wearing of headphones or earphones of any kind. Kinda sad, you'd think people would have the brains to keep one ear open.

Sometimes when its tech, it's attached to the hip, for some people it's like an arm or a leg and they can't be without it. And remember, some people think they can text and walk too (aren't they annoying?).

Also, there are bosses that get mad when you don't insta-answer, even if you are driving in downtown LA. Now when the Fed boss says "why didn't you answer my message?" you can say, "Remember, you wanted me to drive there to save money."

:D:D:D

Nothing like a woman's perspective !!!!

Thanks ;) I needed that !

Silverbird
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Not uniquely a woman's perspective around here. Maryland had to pass a law vs texting and driving. DC had to pass a law vs texting and driving.

Virginia, the "don't touch our guns!" state, where I live, even passed one July of this year because of the idiot manuvers you had to deal with when drivers try to type and pass. And if you know Southern VA, they would NEVER vote to regulate anything unless there were enough foos out there that they couldn't stand it anymore. Oh, and I know of some Fed bosses who DID get mad at their subordinates if they didn't instantly start texting, even if they were merging onto the beltway. Now it's against the law locally. The things you gotta do....

PessOptimist
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Cmon! of course you shouldn't be texting while driving, you need two hands to text (or at least some of you fingers on *both* hands are busy). This has caused a lot of accidents, you can't control your car and text.

For GPS, use a hands free device. Why are you texting to get GPS anyway? Reading directions, driving, and typing in commands at the same time??

The point of my question
Will some worthy manager define obtaining navigational information as using a GPS device? is just what it says. Since the exec order defines text messaging to include obtaining navigational information, surely some genius will decree that it means GPS devices and immediately ban them. That's what you 12-15s and SES peeps get paid for:D

Frixxxx
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
The point of my question is just what it says. Since the exec order defines text messaging to include obtaining navigational information, surely some genius will decree that it means GPS devices and immediately ban them. That's what you 12-15s and SES peeps get paid for:D
1. All GPS can be configured before the drive begins. Pulling off the road to "fix" addresses keeps everyone safe....

2. It is a car in motion, "driving", not sitting in a car that is in question.

3. Simple freakin issue.

Configure GPS. Turn-on handsfree device. Start car. Drive. No talking, texting, GPS'ing until the car comes to a complete and safe stop.

Are we there yet?

I can't wait for the law to pass to wash my hands after going to the bathroom. I'll take a GS-11 Potty-monitor position.

Why does every law have to be followed with a "exception"?

tsptalk
10-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Why would we need a LAW that says 'No Texting -- while Driving'??? To me that is the most Common Sense --- thing immaginable...

Do we have laws that say:
-- no poking nails in your eyes while driving?

The same reason why we need a law that says you can not kill someone. Seems like common sense to me too. ;)

James48843
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -
FEDERAL LEADERSHIP ON REDUCING TEXT MESSAGING WHILE DRIVING

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 7902(c) of title 5, United States Code, and the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, as amended, 40 U.S.C. 101 et seq., and in order to demonstrate Federal leadership in improving safety on our roads and highways and to enhance the efficiency of Federal contracting, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy.

With nearly 3 million civilian employees, the Federal Government can and should demonstrate leadership in reducing the dangers of text messaging while driving. Recent deadly crashes involving drivers distracted by text messaging while behind the wheel highlight a growing danger on our roads.

Text messaging causes drivers to take their eyes off the road and at least one hand off the steering wheel, endangering both themselves and others. Every day, Federal employees drive Government-owned, Government-leased, or Governmentrented
vehicles (collectively, GOV) or privately-owned vehicles (POV) on official Government business, and some Federal employees use Government-supplied electronic devices to text or e-mail while driving. A Federal Government-wide prohibition on the use of text messaging while driving on official business or while using Government-supplied equipment will help save lives, reduce injuries,
and set an example for State and local governments, private employers, and individual drivers. Extending this policy to cover Federal contractors is designed to promote economy and efficiency in Federal procurement. Federal contractors and contractor employees who refrain from the unsafe practice of text messaging while driving in connection with Government business are less likely to experience disruptions to their operations that would adversely impact Federal procurement.

Sec. 2. Text Messaging While Driving by Federal Employees.

Federal employees shall not engage in text messaging (a) when driving GOV, or when driving POV while on official Government business, or (b) when using electronic equipment supplied by the Government while driving.

Sec. 3. Scope of Order.

(a) All agencies of the executive branch are directed to take appropriate action within the scope of their existing programs to further
the policies of this order and to implement section 2 of this order. This includes, but is not limited to, considering new rules and programs, and reevaluating existing programs to prohibit text messaging while driving, and conducting education, awareness, and other outreach for Federal employees about the safety risks associated with texting while driving. These initiatives should encourage voluntary compliance with the agency's text messaging policy while off duty.

(b) Within 90 days of the date of this order, each agency is directed, consistent with all applicable laws and regulations: (i) to take appropriate measures to implement this order, (ii) to adopt measures to ensure compliance with section 2 of this order, including through appropriate disciplinary actions, and (iii) to notify the Secretary of Transportation of the measures it undertakes hereunder.

(c) Agency heads may exempt from the requirements of this order, in whole or in part, certain employees, devices, or vehicles in their respective agencies that are engaged in or used for protective, law enforcement, or national security responsibilities or on the basis of other emergency conditions.

Sec. 4. Text Messaging While Driving by Government Contractors, Subcontractors, and Recipients and Subrecipients.

Each Federal agency, in procurement contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements, and other grants to the extent authorized by
applicable statutory authority, entered into after the date of this order, shall encourage contractors, subcontractors, and recipients and subrecipients to adopt and enforce policies that ban text messaging while driving company-owned or - rented vehicles or GOV, or while driving POV when on official Government business or when performing any work for or on behalf of the Government.

Agencies should also encourage Federal contractors, subcontractors, and grant recipients and subrecipients as described in this section to conduct initiatives of the type described in section 3(a) of this order.

Sec. 5. Coordination.

The Secretary of Transportation, in consultation with the Administrator of General Services and the Director of the Office of Personnel
Management, shall provide leadership and guidance to the heads of executive branch agencies to assist them with any action pursuant to this order.

Sec. 6. Definitions.

(a) The term "agency" as used in this order means an executive agency, as defined in 5 U.S.C. 105, except for the Government Accountability Office.

(b) "Texting" or "Text Messaging" means reading from or entering data into any handheld or other electronic device, including for the purpose of SMS texting, e-mailing, instant messaging, obtaining navigational information, or engaging i n any other form of electronic data retrieval or electronic data communication.

(c) "Driving" means operating a motor vehicle on an active roadway with the motor running, including while temporarily stationary because of traffic, a traffic light or stop sign, or otherwise. It does not include operating a motor vehicle with or without the motor running when one has pulled over to the side of, or off, an active roadway and has halted in a location where one can safely remain stationary.

Sec. 7. General Provisions.

(a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect or alter:
(i) Authority granted by law or Executive Order to an agency, or the head thereof;
(ii) Powers and duties of the heads of the various departments and agencies pursuant to the Highway Safety Act of 1966, as amended, 23 U.S.C. 402 and 403, section 19 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, as amended, 29 U.S.C. 668, sections 7901 and 7902 of title 5, United States Code, or the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, as amended, 40 U.S.C.
101 et seq.;
(iii) Rights, duties, or procedures under the National Labor Relations Act, 29 U.S.C. 151 et seq.; or
(iv) Functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.
(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.
(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity, by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

THE WHITE HOUSE,
October 1, 2009.

[FR Doc. 2009-24203 Filed 10/05/2009 at 8:45 am; Publication Date: 10/06/2009]

mayday
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
1. All GPS can be configured before the drive begins. Pulling off the road to "fix" addresses keeps everyone safe....

2. It is a car in motion, "driving", not sitting in a car that is in question.

3. Simple freakin issue.

Configure GPS. Turn-on handsfree device. Start car. Drive. No talking, texting, GPS'ing until the car comes to a complete and safe stop.

Are we there yet?

I can't wait for the law to pass to wash my hands after going to the bathroom. I'll take a GS-11 Potty-monitor position.

Why does every law have to be followed with a "exception"?

You can always configure the GPS after you rear end the jerk in front of you that stopped at the red light.:)

burrocrat
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -
FEDERAL LEADERSHIP ON REDUCING TEXT MESSAGING WHILE DRIVING

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution

Well that sounds easy enough, now here's hoping that EXECUTIVE ORDER 13514 reads something along the lines of

FEDERAL LEADERSHIP ON REDUCING THE THEFT OF AMERICA'S FUTURE BY FORIEGN CORPORATE INTERESTS

By the authority vested in me as president by THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES...

Naw, that would be common sense. Tole you it can't be regulated.

nnuut
10-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Pretty soon it will be against the law to listen to the radio, play a CD, drink a Coke, Smoke, talk to a passenger, scratch your butt, or pick yer nose while driving. I just love this kind of stuff!! STUPID really STUPID!!:laugh:

Steadygain
10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
The same reason why we need a law that says you can not kill someone. Seems like common sense to me too. ;)

Thanks Tom :embarrest: but I liked Silverbird's response even better.

Not uniquely a woman's perspective around here.

Silverbird - I beg to differ and I seriously do not mean this as an insult againt men in general.

My response is more 'outrage' at the stupidity of doing such a thing which I felt was comparable to sticking nails in your eyes, or setting or car on fire while you're driving...

So I'm thinking the First Thing they need is a good ole fashioned a** kicking and I felt like I knew the best ones for that task and then make it so they can go straight to jail.

Your response was detailed - informative - gave legitimate details to consider and so forth ----- and that's wonderful

We need to 'drop emotional outrage' and consider the facts.