PDA

View Full Version : Unused Vacation Time - Nice For some

Frixxxx
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Um, Can we see this please? I hate being told to use or lose....we should get it invested!
http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/107829/unused-vacation-it-may-pay.html?mod=fidelity-changingjobs
Unused Vacation? It May Pay
Sponsored by
by Laura Saunders
Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Taking vacation pays dividends -- especially if your company allows you to put unused vacation or sick-leave days into your 401(k) or profit-sharing plan.
To encourage savings, the Obama administration recently blessed such transfers. While companies may have to amend their benefit plans to allow it, the administration hopes firms will do so. "We tried to build in as much flexibility as possible to make it attractive," says Mark Iwry, a senior Treasury official.

The techniques are available for use with all qualified plans, which include 401(k), Keogh and profit-sharing plans but not individual retirement accounts or SEP-IRAs. While the rules don't currently extend to the 403(b) plans used by nonprofit organizations, the Treasury is willing to consider expanding them to include such plans, Mr. Iwry says.
The rules apply to "cash-outs" of unused vacation, sick leave or personal days that occur either annually or when an employee leaves a job. If an employer pays for such leave either in whole or in part, the worker could contribute the entire payment to the company's plan, unless he or she has already maxed out the annual contribution limit. This year the limit for most workers is $16,500, or $22,000 for those over 50.
Employers that don't currently pay workers for unused leave may want to reconsider their policies. The transfers compensate workers and encourage savings but don't increase base pay.
Companies can opt to pay workers for unused leave only if they bank the money in a 401(k) or other qualified plan -- in effect requiring employees to save or else forgo the money. A firm also may let employees decide whether to save or spend.
While firms that choose to pay for unused leave must offer it as an option to all plan participants, they don't have to offer it every year. They also can prorate or limit the amount of leave they are willing pay for.
Will payments for unused leave get an employer match? Unclear. The answer depends in part on how a firm's plan is written, says Cara Welch of World at Work, an association of human-resources professionals. What is clear is that the plan must remain nondiscriminatory.

Viva_La_Migra
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice idea! Too bad it's logical. Logical ideas go nowhere with the FRTIB!

jimijr
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice thought. I'm planning on using the payout on my hours to avoid having to make a withdrawl for the first year, so it's a wash for me.

James48843
09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Poorly written article. Left me wanted to know the missing information.

It said: "the Obama administration recently blessed such transfers."

What the heck does that mean? "Recently blessed..."

Did they order a change to a rule?

Pass a law?

Or simply give the idea support, without any action to put it in place for the private sector?

Enquiring minds want to know.

I guess we'll have to search that one out.

Stay tuned...

JTH
09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
What the heck does that mean? "Recently blessed..."

Yo get with the program, all the Messiah has to do is like throw a Hail Mary out and it's like done. :cheesy:

Steadygain
09-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Not sure on Squalebear's Status..???

I'm pretty sure the updated TSPTalk Manual has a directive to donate all 'un-used' TIME to him.

Case closed !!

Thank ya yur honor :o;)

Frixxxx
09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Not sure on Squalebear's Status..???

I'm pretty sure the updated TSPTalk Manual has a directive to donate all 'un-used' TIME to him.

Case closed !!

Thank ya yur honor :o;)
Haha, after my donation, I think they erected a statue next to the lake here in my honor......I didn't know it was a big deal.

My statement about investing it was for "after" SB gets healthy!:cool:

Steadygain
10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Haha, after my donation, I think they erected a statue next to the lake here in my honor......I didn't know it was a big deal.

I really appreciate that Frixxxx - but my appreciation can't compare to his and Kelly's and the bear cubs...

It's one of those situations none of us Expect and when it happens we sink to the bottom almost instantly if we don't have a safety net in place.

That's why it's so important to have 'Medical Coverage' to have tons and tons of Sick Leave 'saved up' ... to have your 6 weeks at all times in addition .... and above everything else to have your debt down to a minimum and reserve capital giving you at least 6 months of 'normal living expenses' no matter what happens....

because none of us can possibly know... and even when our health is great and the job is steady and everything looks good ... tomorrow something could happen...

He was down to maybe a week or so when BAM!! ~ so whatever 'we gave' is pretty much a matter of survival ... we (not his facility) kept his pay and benefits in place... so you did way more than you could ever know.

My statement about investing it was for "after" SB gets healthy!:cool:

People like you make this world a 'better place'

People like me make people think twice before walking down a dark alley... leaving their food unattended... :D:D

alevin
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
People like you make this world a 'better place'

People like me make people think twice before walking down a dark alley... leaving their food unattended... :D:D

I can't help it, that was funny right there.:laugh: