PDA

View Full Version : The Coming Flood Of Government Jobs

tsptalk
09-29-2009, 12:39 PM
The Coming Flood Of Government Jobs (http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/08/future-government-jobs-leadership-careers-employment.html?partner=careersaol)

"A golden age of work for the government is just now dawning, according to a report released last week by the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service, a group in Washington that promotes government employment."

Silverbird
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Well...it's a limited job description "flood", not everyone's qualified for medical, security, or compliance type jobs. The byline sounds like we are hiring everyone for everything, which if you look at the end it says there will be less overall government jobs than the 60's.

Silverbird
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM
5 problems with federal hiring — and 5 reality checks

"....human resources staff would put together two lists of candidates for interviews — one of feds and one of public applicants.....'... The scores are computer generated based on how many buzzwords you use. So you can be a fantastic candidate yet have no shot because your application was never seen by a human being.'”
http://www.fcw.com/Articles/2009/09/28/MANAGEMENT-federal-hiring-process.aspx?Page=2
[The birdeen sez, Yes, computer generated based on how many buzzwords you use. We have one human resource person for each division, and there's no way that can look at every resume'. I've heard of great candidates who've tried to get a promotion or were supposed to get a promotion but their resume got kicked.]

PessOptimist
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I recently applied for a job which meant a promotion (Craftsman to Forman I Craftsman, I am a WB) within my workcenter. I was encouraged to do so by my supervisor. My resume never made it through HR at Headquarters. So apparently I am not even qualified for the job I have held for the last 13 years.

Or was it going through the motions for a job that had all ready been filled?

Frixxxx
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I recently applied for a job which meant a promotion (Craftsman to Forman I Craftsman, I am a WB) within my workcenter. I was encouraged to do so by my supervisor. My resume never made it through HR at Headquarters. So apparently I am not even qualified for the job I have held for the last 13 years.

Or was it going through the motions for a job that had all ready been filled?
I was dropped from a promotion because the database still held me as a new employee which meant I was "outside". The candidate was chosen from the "inside". Hmm... I was working in Civil Sevice for 4 years and the database never got updated with my new status??:suspicious:

I left there shortly after to a boss that basically didn't know what to do and still doesn't. He got inspected recently. He only passsed the areas I left continuity binders in plain view.:cool:

Silverbird
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
It could be the computer buzzword detector bounced you - although in the article there is an "unlimited" number of federal applicants that can be added to the list, if there are a lot of applications all can all be computer pre-screened (to supposedly eliminate people who are not qualified, whether inside or outside). But you know about computers, they only do exactly what your instructions make them do....

Buffalo_Nickle
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
sounds like to me " THEY " have someones brother-in-law; son; etc, already picked and wanted your name to make it legit. Seen it many; many times. Qualification doesnt mean dooki!

Silverbird
10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Er, Buffalo, I actually see more of that in the private sector than in government. What I see in government is people who are good at cut and pasting buzzwords getting the jobs. Oh, and hyperbole resumes.

PessOptimist
10-01-2009, 10:01 PM
It could be the computer buzzword detector bounced you - although in the article there is an "unlimited" number of federal applicants that can be added to the list, if there are a lot of applications all can all be computer pre-screened (to supposedly eliminate people who are not qualified, whether inside or outside). But you know about computers, they only do exactly what your instructions make them do....

sounds like to me " THEY " have someones brother-in-law; son; etc, already picked and wanted your name to make it legit. Seen it many; many times. Qualification doesnt mean dooki!

I think you are both right. I did not answer the questions as if I was applying for a new job and referenced my current job too much. Guess I was lazy and didn't know how to work the system.

So not enough buzz words on the application and...

the person who got the job was moved in to the bigger cubicle two weeks before the winner was announced.:laugh: