James48843
09-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Single-Payer.

Now.

Show-me
09-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Single-Payer.

Now.

Tort reform and open market across State lines. Then balance Social Security. Baby boomers are starting to really drain funds.

Warrenlm
09-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Single-Payer.

Now.

Serious question. Since medicare seems to be the equivalent to this, I wonder what its cost growth has been over the years, not by premium (with or without means testing because FEHB may go there) but by entitlement total costs. I had the impression its growth has been much, much more than our FEHB premiums' growth, year over year. Maybe I have the wrong perception?

James48843
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Medicare growth has been higher than the rate of inflation, and the real problem is that wages have not grown at all over the last ten years, while medical expenses have grown a great deal. Here are a couple graphs:

First, the cost per captia:
Note-this is older data from back in 1995, projected out:

Then, the rate of actual growth by region of the country:

We need all of it.

If you REALLY want to make a dent in health care costs, and bring them under control- then go to:

1. Single-payer, to eliminate non-value added insurance companies in the process. They do not add value to the health care process.

2. the ultimate Tort reform- make all the doctors "federal employees" , thereby covering them from lawsuits in all except clear negligence cases.

3. Enroll people in regular health checkups, counseling, etc to get to "wellness" programs.

4. Serious coordination of care, electronic records for all, and review of best treatments and best outcomes- the best "bang for the buck".

5. Redesign hospital emergecy care to triage at the gate- and send anyone not really sick to the clinic next door- keep the emergency rooms free for real emergencies.

6. Why do we do ambulance service the way we do? A better way would be to have doctors respond with EMS crews, and sort out the real injured with those needing level care. Germany does it that way, and we could learn a lot from how Germany delivers emergency services.

Will it happen?

Nah.

But it would be a worthy goal.

tsptalk
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Will it happen?

Nah.

But it would be a worthy goal.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Washington is really interested in fixing the problems. They seem to just jockey for political position, on both sides.

The dems seem to want a new government program to stick in their cap. Tort reform, insurance over state lines, and some of your other ideas James (other than the single payer :)) would all help, but without a new program it does not help the dems politically so they won't like it.

The reps on the other hand, probably won't vote for anything that will make the president look good - viable or not.

It's sad that everything is so political. It's not solutions they want. It's power and reelection.

I give Obama credit for his passion and dedication in wanting to make change. I don't recall another president trying so hard to get things done. Unfortunately there are so many Americans that just can't get on board to these changes. I don't think he is the uniter he wanted to be, but he sure woke up the American people - whether they are for or against his policies. And that is a good thing.

Buster
09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
The dumbass Insurance companies are just making the Nation Health Plan look even better..they will eventually price themselves out of business.:mad:

CountryBoy
09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
There's no doubt we need health care reform to keep prices under control, but I've also realized over the many years, is that you get what you pay for. Some good ideas mentioned and should be given a serious look, if we're really serious about lowering cost and not increasing taxes.

That's one reason we need to study this major overhaul carefully, especially since it won't become effective until 2013, so it can't be that much of a crisis, that we must sign it into law now. Odd year, one wonders why. :rolleyes:

CB

James48843
09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
More details leaking out on the health care increase this year. It's over on Govexec.com today.

Note- OPM hasn't released the total figures yet. It appears they are leaking the bad news out a little at a time.

Blue Cross goes up more than 15% next year. Here is a clip from the story at govexec.com:

"Kichak said a number of factors are driving the increase, including the rising cost of health care in the United States, the aging of the federal workforce and the fact that 90,000 enrollees left the Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard Option. Many who switched to other plans were healthy, leaving the Standard Option with less income from enrollees who needed minimal care.

Monthly premiums for individuals enrolled in the Standard Option will rise 15.1 percent in 2010, or $23.02. And premiums for families in the plan will grow 12.4 percent, or $44.38."

nnuut
09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Insurance companies are cutting their own throats on this one. BCBS High Option $168 Biweekly to $213, $1170 more a year. I saved $1000 last year by switching to another plan!! They lost me last year because of the same thing, now brace yourself BCBS, you will lose many many more!:suspicious:

Gumby
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Many who switched to other plans were healthy, leaving the Standard Option with less income from enrollees who needed minimal care.

I was one of the 90,000 that switched due to the price increase.

James48843
09-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Here is a link to the new Health Care Rates for FY-2010. They were just posted a little while ago.

http://opm.gov/insure/health/rates/index.asp

My family plan HMO - my share up $22.

How about your plan?

alevin
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Here is a link to the new Health Care Rates for FY-2010. They were just posted a little while ago.

http://opm.gov/insure/health/rates/index.asp

My family plan HMO - my share up $22.

How about your plan?

Thanks for posting, James. My single plan (monthly) up $23. Biweekly up $10 and change. Looks like your family coveage is a better deal than mine for solo.