PDA

View Full Version : Warning from police

Intrepid_Timer
09-10-2009, 07:15 AM
THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MENBEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE--
NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating... You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. You
start the engine and shift into Reverse.When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your
parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach
the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically
mow you down as they speed off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your
money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you
read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of
personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

James48843
09-10-2009, 08:36 AM
THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MENBEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE--
NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

Intrepid_Timer
09-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks James. Still, it's pretty good advice I think. ;)

Buster
09-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I think this has been around in Email traffic for a couple of years now..Still, makes you look around when going to the car:worried:

CountryBoy
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Just common sense alone, should tell ya to always beware of your surroundings. Never hurts to be reminded. Thanks II.

CB

alevin
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Got this one from my dad:

Subject: New Area Codes (Do NOT Dial and Do NOT Answer)
> 809 Area Code
>
> We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code.. The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen . Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809. We did not respond. Then this week, we received the following e-mail:
>
> Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876 (Hmm the 284 one surprised me, the others maybe not)
>
> THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809
>
> This one is being distributed all over the US .. This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this and pass it on.
>
> They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..
>
> In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.
>
> If you call from the U.S. , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.
>
> Or, you'll get a long recorded message.
> The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
>
> WHY IT WORKS:
>
> The 809 area code is located in the
> Dominican Republic ..
>
> The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did
actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

> Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.
>
AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE :
> SNOPES VERIFIES IT'S TRUE:
> http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp)

Steadygain
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
If you call from the U.S., you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

As for me and my household; that kind of call wouldn't work with us because we'd know it's a bunch of crap right off the bat.

However - I will continue my policy of blindly trusting every telephone call without exception; call anyone back who requests it; and talk for a minimum of 2 hours ;)