PDA

View Full Version : Annual Leave before going to iraq

Callme_CO
06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm having issues with getting annual leave before i leave for iraq. Isn't it required to give time off if the employee wants to take time?

OBGibby
06-13-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think annual leave is an inherent right, per se, for the employee to take at his or her convenience. The convenience aspect, I would think, rests with the government. For instance, if an exigency of the public business requires you to work, I think you're on the hook to work.

I'm an 1811 and it's not all that uncommon for leave to be denied, canceled after approved, or to be called back from leave if still in the local area, to deal with exigencies of the public business. Not saying it's right, but it comes with the territory depending on your particular job series.

Other factors with may impact your particular situation include whether or not your FLSA covered. If you under a union contract, the contract may speak to the issue as well.

Sounds like you've got an exceptional reason for wanting to take annual leave which you've already earned. Might need to discuss more indepth with whoever is blocking it now. If that doesn't work, take it up the chain.

Hope everything works out for you.

OBGibby
06-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Callme_CO -

Were you able to resolve the issue?

Callme_CO
06-20-2009, 04:23 PM
don't know what the reg is with my union or agency but we got another Admin Lt. in and he worked with me. So i'm good to go.