PDA

View Full Version : Religious Thread?

12-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Should we start a thread were folks can go to discuss religion and pray for each other? I personally don't feel this is the place for it. Although this site is not govt. affiliated, it is here for govt. folks or retired govt. folks. Govt. employees are a very diverse group. Remember "diversity training"? We all have our own beliefs and customs and many worship a different God or maybe none at all.

That is why I don't believe this is the proper place to be bringing up religion. However, if Tom would like to start a thread where folks can go to talk religion, more power to em. Otherwise, it may be best to only post in your own account thread, if you have one.

I just feel it's a conflict of interest. We're here to help each other make money, not get saved.

Just my opinion. Guess I'm going to Hell now...............Oh well, my grandparents never went to Church anda girl I once dated, a Gospel singer, told they were going to Hell because they didn't go to Church. Guess I'll have good company.

Oh by the way, she's a lesbian now, she said "God made her that way", so no, it wasn't my fault! :P

Peace,

M_M

Show-me
12-01-2004, 01:14 PM
mlk_man wrote:
Should we start a thread were folks can go to discuss religion and pray for each other? I personally don't feel this is the place for it. Although this site is not govt. affiliated, it is here for govt. folks or retired govt. folks. Govt. employees are a very diverse group. Remember "diversity training"? We all have our own beliefs and customs and many worship a different God or maybe none at all.

That is why I don't believe this is the proper place to be bringing up religion. However, if Tom would like to start a thread where folks can go to talk religion, more power to em. Otherwise, it may be best to only post in your own account thread, if you have one.

I just feel it's a conflict of interest. We're here to help each other make money, not get saved.

Just my opinion. Guess I'm going to Hell now...............Oh well, my grandparents never went to Church anda girl I once dated, a Gospel singer, told they were going to Hell because they didn't go to Church. Guess I'll have good company.

Oh by the way, she's a lesbian now, she said "God made her that way", so no, it wasn't my fault! :P

Peace,

M_M

M_M,

I've enjoyed your post up until now. You speak of "diversity training"and write post with sexual content. ie "humor - hummer" I reallize that was "your" thread, but if we are going to limit content. Guess you missed the "sexual harrasment training". Did see anyone complaining about your "freedom of speech" there did you. Seem like "the pot calling the kettle black".

I'm a Christian, not a very good one, but I needed to write this. Part of the faith is to pass your faith and good values on to others. Its not being force fed to you so look away. Kind of like changing the radio or TV station.

I also agree that a more defined thread for this is in order but you have come off very hostile in your post. Small quotes and reference to are not a big dealif theyfollow the theme of the comments or subject.

God Bless you M_M

12-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Show-me wrote:
mlk_man wrote:

Peace,

M_M

M_M,

I've enjoyed your post up until now. You speak of "diversity training"and write post with sexual content. ie "humor - hummer" I reallize that was "your" thread, but if we are going to limit content. Guess you missed the "sexual harrasment training". Did see anyone complaining about your "freedom of speech" there did you. Seem like "the pot calling the kettle black".

I'm a Christian, not a very good one, but I needed to write this. Part of the faith is to pass your faith and good values on to others. Its not being force fed to you so look away. Kind of like changing the radio or TV station.

I also agree that a more defined thread for this is in order but you have come off very hostile in your post. Small quotes and reference to are not a big dealif theyfollow the theme of the comments or subject.

God Bless you M_M

Not hostile at all, just stating my position..........if you're offended , sorry...........turn the other cheek................

And yes, it was in my account talk thread and we are all adults here, or at least should be...........we are however, ahhhh nevermind, not worth the time..........

If God chooses to bless me, I'm sure he will...................if not, I'm sure someone else will..................:^I wish he would bless my grandmother who has Alzheimer's though, she needs it more than I.............

If I "harrassed" anyone, I apologize............just talking stocks in a way I understand.........;)

Good luck,

M_M

12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
BTW, you said you've enjoyed my posts up until now. So I assume you enjoyed my earlier posts? Hmmmmm, now your "offended" by my earlier comments? Come on Kerry, pick a position..............:P

Show-me
12-01-2004, 01:47 PM
mlk_man wrote:
BTW, you said you've enjoyed my posts up until now. So I assume you enjoyed my earlier posts? Hmmmmm, now your "offended" by my earlier comments? Come on Kerry, pick a position..............:P
Read my comments more closely. I said "I'm a Christian, not a very good one, but I needed to write this."

"Not hostile at all, just stating my position..........if you're offended , sorry...........turn the other cheek................"

Just stating my position also. I never turn the other cheek. That's the Marine in me.

Apology accepted.

Show-me
12-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm done here. Got to go to work.

My post may not been appropriate but both side should be looked at.

Sorry if I offended you M_M.

Mike

12-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Show-me wrote:
I'm done here. Got to go to work.

My post may not been appropriate but both side should be looked at.

Sorry if I offended you M_M.

Mike

Thanks Mike, no reason to apologize though, not in my eyes. You have an opinion and I respect that. My original post was not about me, it was about others.

It's nice to know someone that stands up for their beliefs, a lot don't...........only when it's "convenient".

I hope you are not in "harm's way", if you are, thank you. I mean that more than you'll ever know.........

Mike? Oh geez, to many Mike's here , not enough ears...........

Good luck

Mike

ou81200
12-01-2004, 07:55 PM
mlk_man---

My two cents worth---

Our country was based on religious values. However, our country also has given us freedoms to practice what we want. I am a christian. I'm a Southern Baptist and have no problem discussing religion. But I will not push my religion on anyone who does'nt want it. To force it on someone causes them to turn further away.

However, lack of religion causes chaos, instability, and turmoil. Proof is the Middle East. Look at the problems there where less than one percent of the population is christian.

As for your ex-girlfriend. If you still have dialogue with her. Ask her if it is proper for her to judge people and condemn to hell.

As for her sexual preference, I suggest that she read through Leviticus. It might enlighten her about same sex relationships along with "other" practices.

Anyways, is was my two cents:). I wish everyone a pleasant evening.

Show-me
12-02-2004, 12:51 AM
I hope you are not in "harm's way", if you are, thank you. I mean that more than you'll ever know........

M_M,

I hope I didnt misrepresent myself. I'm a loyal "former Marine." In the rear with the gear.

:^

12-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Show-me wrote:

I hope you are not in "harm's way", if you are, thank you. I mean that more than you'll ever know........

M_M,

I hope I didnt misrepresent myself. I'm a loyal "former Marine." In the rear with the gear.

:^

Ahhhh, well in that case, from one former military to another, thank you for serving!

Good luck,

M_M

12-02-2004, 06:41 AM
ou81200 wrote:
mlk_man---

My two cents worth---

Our country was based on religious values. However, our country also has given us freedoms to practice what we want. I am a christian. I'm a Southern Baptist and have no problem discussing religion. But I will not push my religion on anyone who does'nt want it. To force it on someone causes them to turn further away.

However, lack of religion causes chaos, instability, and turmoil. Proof is the Middle East. Look at the problems there where less than one percent of the population is christian.

As for your ex-girlfriend. If you still have dialogue with her. Ask her if it is proper for her to judge people and condemn to hell.

As for her sexual preference, I suggest that she read through Leviticus. It might enlighten her about same sex relationships along with "other" practices.

Anyways, is was my two cents:). I wish everyone a pleasant evening.

Thanks for the 2 cents ou, here's your change..........:P

Boots
12-02-2004, 08:58 AM
We all may be adults, but I came here to discuss finance. I didn't come here to read sexual innuendo's or anything else of a nature other then finance and investing.

If we are going to limit content at all,anything that doesn't relate to the topic needs to go. Not just what you don't believe in.

Equality means applying the same restrictions all the way accross the board, not just certain restrictions that make a particular group feel more comfortable.

12-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Boots wrote:
We all may be adults, but I came here to discuss finance. I didn't come here to read sexual innuendo's or anything else of a nature other then finance and investing.

If we are going to limit content at all,anything that doesn't relate to the topic needs to go. Not just what you don't believe in.

Equality means applying the same restrictions all the way accross the board, not just certain restrictions that make a particular group feel more comfortable.

Thank you for your comments............if my thread offends you, you are free to watch someone else :^ I posted in my account talk, not market talk or anywhere else.....is that a problem or do you just not believe in what I believe so you decided to state your opinion, just as I did?

Good luck,

M_M

Boots
12-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I didn't single you out. Don't act like I did.

There are a number of things that I'm refering to, if somewhat offhandedly.

You brought up the idea of limiting a certain topic to a particular area of the board,and only because it runs against your line of thinking. Apparently, the only thing that matters is that you're not offended, not that we reach equality in what gets posted anywhere and that no one is offended. Sounds pretty single minded.

12-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Boots wrote:
I didn't single you out. Don't act like I did.

If it makes you feel better to think so, I'm glad.........

Good luck,

M_M

12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
By the way, if you read anything besides what you "want" to read, I said that I didn't start this thread for my benefit, it was for others who may have different beliefs than Christianity. Or any other religion for that matter. I wasn't offended at all. What offends me is rude people.................period, doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are.

Good luck,

M_M

~~These boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you~~~~~~~

~~You ready boots..........start walkin'~~~~~

Nuna nuna nuna ............

Boots
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Actually, what you said was you didn't think that this was the place for discussions on religion. That's fine. I completely agree with you. It's also not the place for other topics that are just as touchy in other social circles.

If we are going to resort to character flames, I can do that all day. I've seen far worse.

I do in fact read everything and not just want I "want" to read. We are somewhat alike in that we both dislike rude people, but I will go one further. I dislike condescending attitudes and ignorance.

The childish attempts at character flames are irrelevent to the subject. If you're going to argue your point, try to stick with the subject. At leasttry toorganize ideas intonormal sentence flow.

12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Boots wrote:
Actually, what you said was you didn't think that this was the place for discussions on religion. That's fine. I completely agree with you. It's also not the place for other topics that are just as touchy in other social circles.

If we are going to resort to character flames, I can do that all day. I've seen far worse.

I do in fact read everything and not just want I "want" to read. We are somewhat alike in that we both dislike rude people, but I will go one further. I dislike condescending attitudes and ignorance.

The childish attempts at character flames are irrelevent to the subject. If you're going to argue your point, try to stick with the subject. At leasttry toorganize ideas intonormal sentence flow.

It was a song..............holy cow, lighten up.............. hmmm, condescending attitudes and ignorance? Did you mean "arrogance"? Character flames? Did I say anything about your character? I don't even know you.........you said I was "hostile", how you get that from a typed comment is beyond me.

Condescending............

God bless you boots,

M_M

12-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Got it. No God talk. :(

12-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Chaplain wrote:

You and I can talk Chaplain, I probably needed you when I was in the Army.........:)

I hope your not offended by anything I have said, wasn't meant to be that way.....

12-02-2004, 09:19 PM
mlk_man wrote:
Chaplain wrote:

You and I can talk Chaplain, I probably needed you when I was in the Army.........:)

I hope your not offended by anything I have said, wasn't meant to be that way.....

This is ridiculous! Some of uswere having fun. Chaplin I'm sorry you changed your avatar. You should feel as free as anyone to express themselves and speak of what interests you!
Bad turn of events.....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_110v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

Timer
12-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Chaplain wrote:
Chap, why did you change you're avatar? I liked it a lot. Apparently WW did too. I don't think you've been offensive in any way. Why would you say No God talk?

12-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Wonder Woman wrote:
Bad turn of events.....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_110v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

That meant for me? You, you, you two headed monster you.................. :P

12-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Let’s all make nice and make the money. The very fact that we participate in this forum suggests that we are people of passion. That is bound to exhibit itself from time to time, and that’s probably pretty healthy. So, we focus together and realize profits!

Rule 018

»

A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all :D

Boots
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
mlk_man wrote:

It was a song..............holy cow, lighten up.............. hmmm, condescending attitudes and ignorance? Did you mean "arrogance"? Character flames? Did I say anything about your character? I don't even know you.........you said I was "hostile", how you get that from a typed comment is beyond me.

Condescending............

God bless you boots,

M_M

No, I know the difference between the two. I can get past arrogance very easily, especially if the person in question can back it up.

Through all my posts I never said anything about anyone being hostile. If you are going to quote me, quote me right.

I'm done. Enough said.

Spaf
12-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Chaplain wrote:

Rule 018

A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all :D

Chaplain. Ferengi? Interesting!

Sometimes we get side tracked around here with Rule 44.

Boots
12-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Now that that subject is over, I have something else to say. Everything else aside, I'm impressed with the moves you've madewith your account, MM. A+

12-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Boots wrote:
Now that that subject is over, I have something else to say. Everything else aside, I'm impressed with the moves you've madewith your account, MM. A+Thank you........

12-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Spaf, I get that a lot... :) Notice that on your chess board, the bishop never approaches directly, but side to side. Probably a historical justification for that! Sometimes we get too clever by half... Hopefully that does not rub off to much on my investment decisions. Agree, M_M gets the A+!

12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Boots wrote:

No, I know the difference between the two. I can get past arrogance very easily, especially if the person in question can back it up.

Through all my posts I never said anything about anyone being hostile. If you are going to quote me, quote me right.

I'm done. Enough said.
Oops, my apologies, that was that other person.............sorry.......:)

12-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Chaplain wrote:
Spaf, I get that a lot... :) Notice that on your chess board, the bishop never approaches directly, but side to side. Probably a historical justification for that! Sometimes we get too clever by half... Hopefully that does not rub off to much on my investment decisions. Agree, M_M gets the A+!
Wait till I have a loss...:P.........and yes, I do have losses, but not as many as most.........

Thank you Chaplain,

M_M

12-03-2004, 11:36 AM
mlk_man wrote:
That meant for me? You, you, you two headed monster you.................. :PComing from you I'll take that as a compliment.....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_114.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)I don't want to push my luck but I wish you would put your tongue back in your mouth and maybe use thishttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_1_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)or something similar as your default face!

12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Chaplin, Can I ask a favor of you? > I'm having a hard time seeing these dayshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_10_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)and can't see your avatarwell anymore. Any chanceyou could put it back to its original size?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_3v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
This better? :^

12-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Chaplain wrote:
This better? :^http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_110.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)Wow, I can hardly believe it - my request was granted!

12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I feel dirty :).

Does original size have a double meaning??

This is the most interesting thread on this board. Can we continue it :P?

Wonder Woman wrote:

Chaplin, Can I ask a favor of you? > I'm having a hard time seeing these dayshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_10_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)and can't see your avatarwell anymore. Any chanceyou could put it back to its original size?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_3v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

12-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Sigmund Freud (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/sigmund_freud.html)

tsptalk
12-05-2004, 01:12 PM
:l Good one Chaplain!

12-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Thank you Chaplin and Tom for your support on this one. I can be brazen but not that much......
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_218v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)